RAID0 & Slow Vista Boot times.

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been running my 2 WD RE3's in RAID0 for a month or 2 now & although Vista feels snappier & game sload a bit faster etc I'm not entirely happy at how long Vista takes to load.

I was running a Sammy F1 500g as my boot drive & I would say from pressing the button to being on the desktop took around 30 seconds, the green bar swept along the screen 2-3 times during loading.

Now with my 2x320g drives in RAID 0 it takes over 1 minute to load Vista, the green bar passes over the screen 9-10 times during loading, while I'm very happy with the performance of the drives after vista loads I would like to cut the loading time down.

I have tried cutting down what is loaded in Vista but in all honesty it is double the time it took for the same installation on a single drive. If this is normal for RAID then I guess I'll live with it, I get a bit niggled if I feel something is wrong & I need to try to fix it if that is the case.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PC Specs are :-

ASUS P5Q-E motherboard
Q6600@ 3.6
2 WD RE3 320g drives in RAID0 on the ICH10R controller
2 500g drives for backup

If you need any more info please ask......I'm stuck on this one lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I installed with the 128k stripe.

It's quite quick right up to the green vista bar coming up, on my single drive that was passing only a couple of times or so, now its up to about 9 passes.

In Vista it is quite quick & I get good benchmarks form them, it's just this one slow boot problem that annoys me.

I'm at work now but will check when I get home.

Soldato
OP
Ok got a few things stopped & I'm now on 7 passes of the green bar, still seems longer but a bit better.

Would still like some help please :)

Back
Top Bottom