RAM Compatibility with B550 Board - Speeds/Timings

Associate
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-am4-b550-mini-itx-motherboard-mb-35g-ms.html

Looking at grabbing this board in the near future, but it's been 10+ years since I've bought RAM..!

My thought process involves looking at the RAM speed categories and picking the highest (and best value) one that appears compatible. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs416g440c9k-my-103-pa.html THIS RAM looks great value and fast..

Am I missing anything? I see timings has become a lot bigger than it used to be, but I'm not sure it's relevant and probably negligible benefits to me? (Mild gaming, nothing maxed etc)

Soldato
The best it manages is cas 15 @ 3466 according to this review. Won't be stable at 3600/14

Every kit differs, I've had four kits in 2020 thus far, and they all did 3600/C14 at 1.4v or less, and two of them managed 3600/C13. It's decent Samsung B-die on the modules, so you just need to learn how to tweak them. Not sure when the price went up though was £99 or less for a good while.

Associate
It depends on your willingness to tinker but also a test of patience in waiting for developments.

The only RAM speed you should be targeting right now with AMD is 3,600 Mhz since this will run the fabric clock in a 1:1 mode and is the less fuss approach. People are recommending the Patriot because 4,400 Mhz at C19 will always downclock to a lower frequency and tighter timings.

@VortexA1 That 3466 was at 1.35v AND 1T which is an insane result. If you're not atleast running B-Die at 1.40v you may aswell switch to Micron. The Patriot can apparently do 3800 C14 at 1.5v (all tuned timings) but how likely that is for all sticks is hard to say. You can 100% get 3,600 C14 at 1.45v but probably less voltage than that especially when we can abuse geardown mode. Both of the voltages are safe. Tip: the buildapcsalesuk subreddit is VERY useful if you want these. £103.14 is an interesting number.

You said "near future" and I hate to be that guy but you should 100% be waiting a month to see what Vermeer leaks are out since it should be in mass production right now if igor's lab is to be believed. I say this because it is VERY likely that the memory controller for Zen 3 has the fabric clock way over 2,000. The 4000 APU saw 2,200 FCLK so it's not out of the question to think that the Zen 3 improved memory controller can match this. You technically should be able to run the Patriot at XMP and 1:1 mode with Zen 3.

Basically the Patriot RAM is currently the omnigel that I would buy when I see it for close to £103.14 (HINT HINT) that should be excellent for any platform if you are willing to tinker with timings. If you don't want to tinker with timings and need a system right now, this would be the RAM to get: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Team...3600MHz-Dual-Channel-Kit-Black-MY-001-8P.html

Back
Top Bottom