RAM issue, slot 1 & 2 not working. Tried nearly everything. Beer for whoever fixes it!

Permabanned
OP
Update: in my case, it appears to have been the CPU cooler block mounting playing silly sods.
Got my chip back, plopped it in, and tightened the cooler very gently, just enough for good contact... Now running all 4 Dimms at 3200MTs tight.
I was skeptical about that being the problem, but there seems to be something in it...

The AIO I have does seem very tight, even when it's really loose but will see if I can get it looser!

Permabanned
OP
When you say you replaced the motherboard did you sent back for a warranty replacement?

Nope, the one that it was replaced with, was either out of warranty or I just cannot find the receipts. Next step is to take the entire PC out of the case and try again with a rebuild...

So replaced with a brand new one.

Soldato
@gradyhawks So the only thing left is the PSU?

What PSU do you have?

Check cables are fully seated and also check the pins in the plugs incase any are damaged.

Remove any extensions and use only the original PSU cables.

Soldato
So just to clarify, you built the system outside the case and the problem persisted?

If you have a multimeter could unplug all the cables and then put a bent paperclip between pins 16 & a ground pin on the 24 pin lead (eg see pinout here https://superuser.com/questions/839107/why-is-12v-needed-on-an-atx-power-supply ) and then test the voltage on all the pins to make sure they're all powered correctly? Might as well test some of the other leads (eg eps power connector, gpu connector, sata & molex connectors) while you're there too.

On the old and new motherboard is there any evidence of physical damage or scorch marks on any of the ram slots? Any marks at all on any of the sticks of ram either?

Also try disconnecting whatever ssd or hdds you might have, and all fans except for your cpu cooler just to isolate as many variables as possible.

What a bizarre and frustrating problem!

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
So.... for those who are intersted, problem is now FIXED and I have issued myself the reward of beer.

It's the CPU cooler. The god damn copper block that attaches to the actual CPU isn't flat and has a bulge in the middle area, so it was pressing down too hard on specific parts of the CPU itself. The amount of headache this has caused means I don't think I'm buying anything from Lian Li ever again.

I had tried swapping the CPU cooler out for the stock one before and it didn't work, what I hadn't tried was swapping the CPU out and the CPU cooler at the same time... so I think it's damaged the CPU it's self :(. Swapped to the stock cooler and put an older CPU in and it's all good.

Soldato
What a weird one, good you've found the problem at last though. So is it the 5800x that's broken and the 3700x that still works? Bet you needed the beer after trying to get this sorted for so long :p

Might well be worth trying to get something out of wherever you bought the aio - a refund at the very least! I guess they might well say that it's supposed to be like that and refuse, but might as well try.... If you could get some pics of the bulge (maybe try laying the edge of a steel ruler against it or something to make it obvious on a pic?) that might help.

Permabanned
OP
What a weird one, good you've found the problem at last though. So is it the 5800x that's broken and the 3700x that still works? Bet you needed the beer after trying to get this sorted for so long :p

Might well be worth trying to get something out of wherever you bought the aio - a refund at the very least! I guess they might well say that it's supposed to be like that and refuse, but might as well try.... If you could get some pics of the bulge (maybe try laying the edge of a steel ruler against it or something to make it obvious on a pic?) that might help.

The 5800x is thankfully safe and sound, when testing with that I opted to have the AIO on as loose as it could get after reading a reddit post on the issue. I had the 3700x inside it pretty soon after swapping it did nothing, figured I'd get the 5800x tested independently and just sell it on since this thing was doomed to never run proper.

It was here at Overclockers, so hoping they want to at least get me a refund on the AIO sorted, the trick with the steel ruler is how I saw it, the middle sits maybe 1mm above the edge of the thing so that poor 3700x was getting crushed :'(

Good news is that I now have 32gb of DDR4 Ram working with the 5800x, at last. What a nightmare XD

Back
Top Bottom