Ram pricing

Associate
Brought a new Ryzen bundle in April and it come with 16gb of Team Group 3000mhz ram and it was listed at £119 at the time.

It’s been a pain from day one due to being Hynix so brought some 8 pack Samsung b die for £220 and managed to sell the old ones for £140. Managed to make £20 on 10 month old 2nd ram, think it’s gone up £100 since March.

Soldato
I have just sold 16Gb of DDR3 Ram for £45 more than I originally paid for it 2 years ago.

This means I can now afford the additional 8GB of DDR4 I would like.

Gamers Nexus has a great video on all this.

I am gob smacked at how high even used DDR3 has become. Its nuts. And for those who say PC gaming is expensive, currently they are correct.

Associate
I have just sold 16Gb of DDR3 Ram for £45 more than I originally paid for it 2 years ago.

This means I can now afford the additional 8GB of DDR4 I would like.

Gamers Nexus has a great video on all this.

I am gob smacked at how high even used DDR3 has become. Its nuts. And for those who say PC gaming is expensive, currently they are correct.

Yes pc hardware is expensive i agree.

Soldato
Just in case anybody was wondering how the companies were fairing in all this...

Reuters) - South Korea's SK Hynix Inc said on Thursday that fourth-quarter operating profit nearly tripled to a record high, exceeding market expectations, as demand for its memory chips held firm despite a stronger won.

The result boosts the world's second-biggest memory chip maker after Samsung Electronics Co Ltd to its largest-ever annual operating profit of 13.7 trillion won ($12.9 billion), driven by fatter margins for memory chips as servers and mobile devices seek more firepower.....

Soldato
Just in case anybody was wondering how the companies were fairing in all this...

Reuters) - South Korea's SK Hynix Inc said on Thursday that fourth-quarter operating profit nearly tripled to a record high, exceeding market expectations, as demand for its memory chips held firm despite a stronger won.

The result boosts the world's second-biggest memory chip maker after Samsung Electronics Co Ltd to its largest-ever annual operating profit of 13.7 trillion won ($12.9 billion), driven by fatter margins for memory chips as servers and mobile devices seek more firepower.....

So it's just price gouging then, prices will stay high as long as people keep buying.

Call me a cynic but I'm not supprised.

Soldato
Presumably there's no sign of change on the horizon? I'm building a new PC in the next month or two but with the current Intel CPU issues and RAM pricing being insane, it feels like a really bad time to be doing it. That said, I'm not wholly convinced that waiting a little bit longer will really change anything either. Fortunately I don't need a new GPU otherwise I think I'd have given up on the whole idea by now!

Soldato
Presumably there's no sign of change on the horizon? I'm building a new PC in the next month or two but with the current Intel CPU issues and RAM pricing being insane, it feels like a really bad time to be doing it. That said, I'm not wholly convinced that waiting a little bit longer will really change anything either. Fortunately I don't need a new GPU otherwise I think I'd have given up on the whole idea by now!
Unlike GPU mining madness. RAM prices tent to be cyclical, and shortages will be fixed.
I suspect that in 6 months the picture will be brighter for memory.
As for GPU's who knows. I mean crypto currency values are crashing everywhere but the sheep are still buying up the GPU's on the hype train desperate to be part of a dying game.

Associate
An interesting article on RAM pricing over at Extremetech https://www.extremetech.com/computing/263031-ram-prices-roof-stuck-way

They cite industry analysts who expect supplies to stay constrained in first half of 2018 - with a Samsung fab only coming online in second half https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180128VL200.html

Conclusion - no reduction in price expected in the short term - hopeful that mobile demand drops off due to high levels of DRAM inventory and limited demand for fancy new mobiles but maybe offset by demand from Data Centres if they start replacing servers affected by recent spectre/meltdown.

Soldato
Unlike GPU mining madness. RAM prices tent to be cyclical, and shortages will be fixed.
I suspect that in 6 months the picture will be brighter for memory.
As for GPU's who knows. I mean crypto currency values are crashing everywhere but the sheep are still buying up the GPU's on the hype train desperate to be part of a dying game.

Yeah I've seen RAM price increases before, but never anything on this scale. It's just a shame because for my upcoming birthday I've been given a rather nice amount of money intended for building a new PC to replace my 6 year old one, and yet it seems to have come at possibly the worst time to be buying components. Spending £200 on the RAM alone just seems absolutely baffling to me.

Soldato
Yeah I've seen RAM price increases before, but never anything on this scale. It's just a shame because for my upcoming birthday I've been given a rather nice amount of money intended for building a new PC to replace my 6 year old one, and yet it seems to have come at possibly the worst time to be buying components. Spending £200 on the RAM alone just seems absolutely baffling to me.
If you still have a i7 from sandy onwards and all you do is game it's still dandy, getting long in the tooth but not enough so that it's worth buying DDR4.

Associate
DDR4 prices stay stable, at least.

I'm following a few Corsair kits on PC Part Picker and they have stayed at the same price for over a month now. Been following for almost a year now and they gone up in the region of £100.

Perhaps there may be an advantage in waiting until late summer for RAM to at least fall a little bit and reductions in CPUs/motherboards around Black Friday timeframe.

Soldato
So it's just price gouging then, prices will stay high as long as people keep buying.

Call me a cynic but I'm not supprised.

Price gouging? It is people bidding the prices up. Why should Samsung sell memory for half price to Google when Apple will pay double for memory in their phones (made up example but that is what is happening). The same applies to any PC RAM manufacturers.

Every TV, smart phone, laptop, OEM PC etc. manufacturer is willing to pay more and more for a limited supply of DRAM. That is why memory manufacturers are making more money.

Then you have graphics card manufacturers desperately trying to get hold of GDDR5 RAM to sell to crypto miners who are willing to pay loads. Even with expensive RAM, the graphics card manufacturers are making a lot of money.

Last edited:
Associate
When I decided what components for my Ryzen 5 build I purchased 16gb of Team group Delta RGB 8*2 dual kit 2666mhz it cost me £138 including vat and that was 25/17 now the very same memory
is £209 and not sure if that's with vat I think OC prices are now shown with vat included. Also I would thank OC UK for there expert service

Permabanned
Some of our readers may well remember Qimonda, at one time the second largest DRAM memory producer. The company produced various DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 memory products, before eventually going bankrupt in 2009. Its bankruptcy led to its purchase by Inspur Group, a Chinese multinational information technology company headquartered in Jinan, Shandong, China. Using IP from its Qimonda acquisition, the company has now led its Xi'an UnilC subsidiary to become the first Chinese DDR4 producer, with full in-house development of the technology. On which process technology is anyone's guess; that's not being clearly marketed by the company, but it almost certainly isn't a top-of-the-line production process.

Xi'an UniIC's DDR4 lineup includes 4 GB and 8 GB SO-DIMMs, 4 GB and 8 GB UDIMMs as well as a 4 GB UDIMM with ECC, all rated for data transfer rate of 2133 MT/s with CL15 15-15 timings at 1.2 V, which isn't too far away - at least in voltage - from current DDR4 technology. These modules are built with Xi'an UnilC's 4 Gb DDR4 chips. While not overly impressive spec-wise, this news is important in at least two ways: first, it means there's a Chinese company that can leverage its own production for DDR4 memory chips, which will likely start to expand in China's hungry memory market before it starts exporting; second, that the entry of another DDR4 manufacturer into the game will certainly increase the amount of DDR4 memory put into circulation, alleviating China's needs to import memory, and thus leading to increased stock around the world for what should lead, hopefully, to lower DDR4 pricing (eventually, of course).

China's Xi'an UnilC Starts Producing In-house DDR4 Memory With Qimonda's DNA https://www.techpowerup.com/241873/...ducing-in-house-ddr4-memory-with-qimondas-dna

Associate
Some of our readers may well remember Qimonda, at one time the second largest DRAM memory producer. The company produced various DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 memory products, before eventually going bankrupt in 2009. Its bankruptcy led to its purchase by Inspur Group, a Chinese multinational information technology company headquartered in Jinan, Shandong, China. Using IP from its Qimonda acquisition, the company has now led its Xi'an UnilC subsidiary to become the first Chinese DDR4 producer, with full in-house development of the technology. On which process technology is anyone's guess; that's not being clearly marketed by the company, but it almost certainly isn't a top-of-the-line production process.

Xi'an UniIC's DDR4 lineup includes 4 GB and 8 GB SO-DIMMs, 4 GB and 8 GB UDIMMs as well as a 4 GB UDIMM with ECC, all rated for data transfer rate of 2133 MT/s with CL15 15-15 timings at 1.2 V, which isn't too far away - at least in voltage - from current DDR4 technology. These modules are built with Xi'an UnilC's 4 Gb DDR4 chips. While not overly impressive spec-wise, this news is important in at least two ways: first, it means there's a Chinese company that can leverage its own production for DDR4 memory chips, which will likely start to expand in China's hungry memory market before it starts exporting; second, that the entry of another DDR4 manufacturer into the game will certainly increase the amount of DDR4 memory put into circulation, alleviating China's needs to import memory, and thus leading to increased stock around the world for what should lead, hopefully, to lower DDR4 pricing (eventually, of course).

China's Xi'an UnilC Starts Producing In-house DDR4 Memory With Qimonda's DNA https://www.techpowerup.com/241873/...ducing-in-house-ddr4-memory-with-qimondas-dna

Sounds promising! We keep hearing of increased production this year/2019.

Back
Top Bottom