RAM question

Associate
i currently have this ram:

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

i havent touched the voltages so its running at stock which i believe is 1.9v

on each module it has 2.1v on them so im assuming that that is the recommended voltages that you should set for each module.

i have never tried to adjust voltages before so could some1 please direct me on how to do it and isit really worth it.

thanks

Soldato
You need to enter your bios and look for the option to change the DDR2 voltage. Refer to your user manual and look for the "advanced" tab.

You should run your memory at its rated voltage as it will help stability. My memory is rated at 1.8-1.9 however if I run it at default/1.8 its unstable, but 1.85 is fine :)

Associate
OP
any help would be great
i have a gigabyte p35-ds3l

i think ive found one setting to change. to do with the DDR2 voltage so i put that to +0.3

is there another one i need to up ie the mch one?

Soldato
any help would be great
i have a gigabyte p35-ds3l

i think ive found one setting to change. to do with the DDR2 voltage so i put that to +0.3

is there another one i need to up ie the mch one?

nope that should be the only thing you need to change however default voltage for ram is 1.8 so if you uped it up by 0.3 i imagine you running it @2.1
never had a gigabyte mobo but thats the way i see it

as mentioned if it was running fine why upping it up as that increase heat and power drawn for no reason

Soldato
I've got the same mobo and probably mate you also have to adjust the timings manually since by default this mobo is setting them to auto which are mostly wrong.
For me they were set to 5-5-5-18 where it should have been 4-4-4-12.

On the main BIOS screen push CTRL+F1, this will activate the advanced ram settings, go to the page where you seen the +0.3dram voltage and you should see some extra options.
Set the advanced memory settings to manual and change the first 4 timings from top to 4-4-4-12, leave the other block. And remember to set the memory divider to 2.0 , that puts it on 1:1 with CPU FSB.

Soldato
There is a information card supplied with the GeIL stuff that says that the SPD values are underclocked for compatability reasons, some systems may need to supply a higher voltage to allow them to run at 4-4-4-12 so they are clocked at 5-5-5-18 by default so all systems can boot without issues, it was a smart move by them.

Back
Top Bottom