Ramadan Mubarak

Soldato
Actually we really shouldn't wish them luck, more wish them strength of mind and body. Luck being a concept relaed to gambling, and that being rather naughty in the book.

I am a muslim and luck does not really mean gambling, my name translates to luck, Bakht means luck in Pashto

Soldato
By that logic (when in Rome) no Muslims should be fasting here then :confused:

When you say they HAVE to adhere do you mean they just can't buy food at certain times or they could actually be arrested for eating a sandwich?

In one of my first jobs I worked with a few Muslims and during fasting periods I felt so uncomfortable walking into the staff room at lunch with a big bag of munchies from McDonald's whilst they were just sitting there unable to eat. We only had one staff room and I wasn't going to eat out on the street but at the same time I felt a bit guilty, whilst telling myself I shouldn't as it's their lifestyle choice.

You should not have felt guilty. If anyone has a problem with you eating, its their problem, after all you were in a canteen or staff room in this case where you are permitted to eat and drink. It's not like you were purposely following them around eating food and being disrespectful in any way. I actually feel uncomfortable when I see my work colleagues going out of their way to try not eat in front of me, I make sure I tell them to just carry on as normal as it's absolutely no issue.

Soldato
I am a muslim and luck does not really mean gambling, my name translates to luck, Bakht means luck in Pashto

Most religions condemn gambling, which doesn't really make sense because their followers are gambling their whole lives on there not only being a god but that they've chosen the right one. ;)

Soldato
You should not have felt guilty. If anyone has a problem with you eating, its their problem, after all you were in a canteen or staff room in this case where you are permitted to eat and drink. It's not like you were purposely following them around eating food and being disrespectful in any way. I actually feel uncomfortable when I see my work colleagues going out of their way to try not eat in front of me, I make sure I tell them to just carry on as normal as it's absolutely no issue.

Yeah they were the same, didn't stop me feeling a little bad though.

Soldato
Most religions condemn gambling, which doesn't really make sense because their followers are gambling their whole lives on there not only being a god but that they've chosen the right one. ;)

Come on, give it a rest. Everyone knows you have issues with religions, you're just looking stupid now, and no I'm actually not offended it's just tiresome seeing you go on and on and on.

Soldato
Come on, give it a rest. Everyone knows you have issues with religions, you're just looking stupid now, and no I'm actually not offended it's just tiresome seeing you go on and on and on.

Oh lighten up FFS, it was light hearted throw away comment not ranting condemnation of theism.

Jesus H Christ!...or should I exacerbate via Muhammed? (waits for you to take that way to seriously as well).

Soldato
Oh lighten up FFS, it was light hearted throw away comment not ranting condemnation of theism.

Jesus H Christ!...or should I exacerbate via Muhammed? (waits for you to take that way to seriously as well).

It wasn't just that comment, it's just the petty comments you keep posting. Going on about rationality and so on.

I'm not offended as I said, it's just tiresome, I'm not even religious.

Permabanned
How bad is it on the body?

Traffic Cops on BBC had a Muslim copper that was fasting and he was trying to chase after a criminal and he just had no energy and had to stop and was being sick, I never thought it would impact on people like that bit silly letting someone fast when there job is to chase after people.

I fast for lent but its sensible because you can still eat thing during daylight hours.

Soldato
It wasn't just that comment, it's just the petty comments you keep posting. Going on about rationality and so on.

Going on? I mentioned rationality (or rather irrationality) in precisely one post in this thread. Stop being melodramatic.

Traffic Cops on BBC had a Muslim copper that was fasting and he was trying to chase after a criminal and he just had no energy and had to stop and was being sick, I never thought it would impact on people like that bit silly letting someone fast when there job is to chase after people.

I fast for lent but its sensible because you can still eat thing during daylight hours.

Genuinely interested in the Olympic question posted a bit further up, how will effect Muslim competitors?

Permabanned
With the increasing waist size in the Asian population which make up the Muslim majority in Britian I think fasting is a good thing. :D However it negates any benefit when you stuff your face before the pre-dawn meal and when it comes to break the fast.

The act of fasting itself has become commercialized when people don't observe it spiritually and follow the correct etiquette and self-restraint.

Soldato
With the increasing waist size in the Asian population which make up the Muslim majority in Britian I think fasting is a good thing. :D However it negates any benefit when you stuff your face before the pre-dawn meal and when it comes to break the fast.

The act of fasting itself has become commercialized when people don't observe it spiritually and follow the correct etiquette and self-restraint.

Be careful son, the PC brigade will be out with their pitch forks accusing of you 'Muslim bashing' if you continue down that road ;)

Soldato

In all my years of fasting, and having loads of friends and family who also fast, I have yet to encounter one person who it has affected badly. What I notice personally is because I am not snacking throughout the day, I tend to cut out a lot of the 'cr@p' I would normally eat (choc, crisps, fizzy drinks) throughout the day.

Soldato
In all my years of fasting, and having loads of friends and family who also fast, I have yet to encounter one person who it has affected badly. What I notice personally is because I am not snacking throughout the day, I tend to cut out a lot of the 'cr@p' I would normally eat (choc, crisps, fizzy drinks) throughout the day.

Over the course of 24 hours would you say you eat more, less or the same amount of food compared to a regular day?

Soldato
Genuinely interested in the Olympic question posted a bit further up, how will effect Muslim competitors?

I'd guess either they won't fast on the day they are competing and make it up after, or they will fast and it will affect their performance. I suppose it depends on the individual and how highly they regard religious duty etc.

Soldato
Over the course of 24 hours would you say you eat more, less or the same amount of food compared to a regular day?

Slightly less I think. However, my normal diet is not very good, it improves greatly in Ramadhan in that I hardly touch fizzy drinks, chocolates etc and I tend to drink more water.

What line of work do you do, a manual job must be a nightmare, say a bricky or joiner, not being able to eat at work.

They definitely feel it more, I have it VERY easy in comparison. I start late so I get a chance to have a good few hours sleep after the dawn prayer, and I'll be sat in an office for 5-6 hours a day. Saying that though, it's better to actually go to work as time goes quicker, whereas if you are stuck at home all day, it really drags.

Last edited:
Soldato
The ones I always feel sorry for are those western non-Muslims who live & work in Arab countries and have to adhere to the food & drink fasting. Their country their rules, when in Rome do as the Romans I guess!
Got loads of respect for those choosing to do it though - no drink for the day in 45C temperatures is pretty hard going!

Ramadan Mubarak all!

They don't. They are free to eat at any time of the day.;)

Back
Top Bottom