Random 3D printing chatter

It is if you want to print multi-coloured prints. Alternatively it can be useful for running a support material. Bear in mind that filaments are supposed to be of at least similar melting points and there is quite a lot of purging at every swap at (usually) every layer. It's great to have a selection of filaments (either different colours or different types) available to print without having to wander over and changes spools (yeah, I'm lazy) and it's great for things like enclosures that need labelling (so long as the text isn't too tiny - otherwise a 0.2mm nozzle helps there but then it's a lot slower) or things like coasters that have a picture on the top. If what you want to print is going to involve swapping a hideous amount of times, you'd be better looking at a multi-head system something like the Prusa XL (although I'm sure there are smaller, cheaper versions).

It would be a first printer and I like the idea of multicoloured prints.

I was set on a £200 printer before I saw the sale. It was the mini then the regular now with the ams lite. I get the argument between mini and regular with build plate and wasn’t sure if I can justify the ams lite as well since it can be bought after. Whereas you can’t increase a build plate with the mini.

I see, so you're trying to decide between an A1 Mini with AMS Lite NOW or an A1 without AMS Lite but with the possibility of upgrading in the future. I don't think either is going to disappoint you to be honest. I guess it depends if size or colour is most important to what you have in mind - and I'm painfully aware that you're quite likely to be in the situation of "I don't really know what I want to print yet"!
Whilst it's definitely a personal thing, I'd say I've probably used the colour-change more often than I have the extra build volume. I've printed control panels with text (swapped down to the 0.2mm nozzle to get the definition). I've got a smooth bed now so it may look better re-printed.

I have used the size both in height and X/Y as I've also printed some wall art for my BIL's kids....but I probably could have scaled those to fit a 180x180 bed instead.
I'd kind of hoped to come out to an obvious support for one or the other....but I fear I've simply muddied the waters. I don't think either is going to be 'wrong' but you may want to consider as well the footprint of both alone and both with AMS - although I believe you can mount it on the crossbar on the A1 if height isn't an issue.
Maybe others can chime in with their thoughts on which is more useful.

Thanks for your input. I did notice that the ams bought as a standalone is a lot more even with the sale.
It also looks like the a1 mini is not due to be back until mid August. Decisions

Ah, that's an easy one....you're here on OCUK, you're clearly not going to wait until September for a 4080 when you could have a 4080Ti NOW! :D
Once you get your printer, don't get into Home Assistant....for down that way lies Pi's and ESPs and smart light switches and a dozen other things your wife/gf/partner doesn't need to know the total price of :D ....but at least you'll be able to print nice enclosures for them! :D

Ah, that's an easy one....you're here on OCUK, you're clearly not going to wait until September for a 4080 when you could have a 4080Ti NOW! :D
Once you get your printer, don't get into Home Assistant....for down that way lies Pi's and ESPs and smart light switches and a dozen other things your wife/gf/partner doesn't need to know the total price of :D ....but at least you'll be able to print nice enclosures for them! :D
having the option to remotely turn on a printer, and the lights, etc is ultra cool.

@VeNT The key thing is being able to have the espresso machine turn on before I get up so that it's warmed up and ready to go....unlike me! Yes, you could do this with a mechanical timer switch (and I used to) but where's the fun in that?! Also good for turning off outdoor floodlights automatically after they've been left on accidentally. Endless uses once you scratch the surface.

@Jony27 Nice. I thought about the A1 but went for the Mini because the entire point (for me) was something small to supplement the X1.

Right, now I'd like to claim victory at 3D printing. For I have achieved the unthinkable. I have printed......something my wife likes and approves of! :eek:

She managed to smash the glass jar this solar lamp unit sits in so I whipped up a revolve in fusion and Voroni'd it:

This is the site I used to turn the solid into a Voroni mesh: https://www.voronator.com
Well worth a play.
It's a little rough in places as the pattern makes some hideous overhangs....but also disguised them in its lack of uniformity. There was auto tree support with critical only set and a 5mm outside-only brim to increase the bed surface area. I had to add and subtract some solids from the mesh to bring the mounting hole back to dimension. Took ages to calculate in Fusion because the Voroni part is in STL format. You might find this helpful if you want to play with STLs in Fusion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtEWbNIaK9Q

There was a fair amount *cough* of deburring and tidying up to do. Especially where one of the supports failed.

Depends what you want to print tbh. Yeah, helpful, I know!
PLA is quite easy to print. Quite strong and stiff but brittle and droops if you put it in a car.
I'd say my go-to is PETG. It still prints nicely (when we're talking about direct drive extruder machines like the Bambu) but it's got more flex so things like snap-fits and hinges work better. It also bends rather than shatters. Drooping point is something like 80°C rather than PLA's 60 (both off the top of my head - check them if accuracy needed) so it survives a car and is a bit more UV resistant.
PLA is nominally compostable....but that's basically a lie.
PLA-CF prints very nicely (Ziro's brand - without drying) and has a rougher surface and maybe a bit more strength - you use it more for the look tbh. You must have a hardened nozzle to print it as it's abrasive...and these have come back in stock this morning.

ABS is smelly, warps, a pain to print and outdone on specs by various other filaments. Still haven't found a reason to print it.

ASA is better than ABS in most ways. Less bad in most ways but still a pain.

Personally I'd go with PETG but that's just me. Bambu's own spools are preconfigured in their slicer and if you're using a full AMS it picks up an RFID tag, recognises the type and colour and keeps track of how much on the spool. On the other hand they're more expensive. I'm not sure if the AMS lite has RFID, I suspect not.
For off-brand PETG, I've had good results with Sunlu straight off the spool (no need to dry).

No problem. You'll hear that this one is good and this one is bad and yada yada. The good one is the one that works for you, on your print, in your printer, at the price you want to pay.
Other than that, black and white are obvious staples and good fro contrast if your printing things like enclosures with text. The other one that's worth going for is a dark grey as, like black, it works for anything but doesn't blend into everything when you realise you're looking for a black part under a black desk against a black carpet....yeah, don't ask :D

Received the a1 combo yesterday and was just printing from the mobile app.

So far I have a benchy, among us figure and part 1 of the top mount. I’m a bit overwhelmed with the choice of what to print but have tried to create an “essentials” list before moving to random items.

I should move on from the mobile app as I’m sure the computer version is more versatile.

Well, I've got.....a hotend and a cable, so who's winning this one....oh, it's you isn't it! ;)
The computer version will let you slice your own stuff rather than just things directly off Makerworld. You may also want to check out Printables and Thingiverse for models. There's a lot of duplication between them but sometimes one has what you're looking for that another doesn't. There's also [https://thangs.com]Thangs[/url] which I thought was just a search engine between them but seems I'm either wrong or it's evolved. GrabCad is another worth being aware of too. It often has models of the things you want to build an enclosure for, for example.
If you want to model your own stuff, one option is Fusion 360 which is free for personal use (with some limitations).

I think the printer has been on for 18hrs a day since getting it. I’m finally finished all my printing essentials which includes:
- top mount and stiffener
- poop chute
- toolkit box
- benchy

Moving on to some hobby/ gift related items now. Will make an effort to use Bambu studio on the next print

Back
Top Bottom