Random 3D printing chatter

Associate
@5abr3 If it's any consolation, I've just loaded that brand new spool of PETG-CF of the same brand as the last that was printing acceptably. Printing the same? No, not even close. Dribbles and strings ruining the first layer. Calibrate it "successfully" and now it won't even stick to the bed. Going to wash the bed in the morning and let the filament bake overnight and see if it's just wet despite being really well vacuum sealed. Sometimes this hobby's great....and other times it really sucks! *Sigh*
My reel of PETG has just stopped feeding and the stepper is making some less than ideal noises. Guess I'm stripping it down in the morning to figure out what's up with it.

It's run happily for about 6 hours on and off through the day. At least this feed stop hasn't been accompanied by bad disintegrated stepper fan like last time I suffered a feed stop (on the other extruder).

Last edited:
Soldato
@5abr3 If it's any consolation, I've just loaded that brand new spool of PETG-CF of the same brand as the last that was printing acceptably. Printing the same? No, not even close. Dribbles and strings ruining the first layer. Calibrate it "successfully" and now it won't even stick to the bed. Going to wash the bed in the morning and let the filament bake overnight and see if it's just wet despite being really well vacuum sealed. Sometimes this hobby's great....and other times it really sucks! *Sigh*

CF is quite sensitive to moisture. You can use dry boxes with little baggies (or a drying device with the beads in) to keep it dry, or dry it out after. I've left out my PETG CF in my basement for about 8 months.. and that stuff is $50 a roll, so I'm a little concerned I foobar'd it lol.

One of the other major brands I tried was so brittle and weak I couldn't believe it. Was insanely weak.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok, partly for interest and partly so I don't lose track of things....gotta love a little self-interest, right?!

Old RollK0.024Flow Ratio: 0.95
New Roll - UndriedK0.037Flow Ratio: 0.791
New Roll - DriedK0.029Flow Ratio: 0.893

Acid test, of course, will be if I can now print these damn parts! :rolleyes:

Associate
Having spent an hour or so stripping down and re-assembling the extruder feed mechanism, all is good again.

Turns out the issue was the filament section directly under the stepper motor teeth had collapsed and the stepper to push through to the heating chamber.

As ever, getting the mechanism spring back in place was most of the fight :rolleyes:

Soldato
Any pointers on what would cause one specific roll of filament to suddenly not stick to the bed (PEI)?

Trying to print something in red "Elegoo" PLA, and it just is not sticking at all, even the bed levelling test I've done successfully before isn't working.

I've tried cleaning the bed with isopropyl, re-levelling multiple times, but no luck at all. I've just swapped out with some Ender PLA+ and it's printing perfectly :(

Is this a symptom of the filament being damp? It's been in a sealed bag with some silica beads since I got it.

Soldato
OP
Could be damp but first thing to try would be a wash/wipe with Fairy liquid/Dawn dishsoap followed by a rinse. Either in sink if suitable removable plate or wipe with damp kitchen towel with a dab of fairy if not and then just water. I've had PETG leave a residue that PLA just won't stick too and IPA doesn't get it off.
Could also be not enough squish (initial height/levelling) of the first layer but I'd try dishsoap first.

Soldato
OP
....and we have.....PARTS! Yay! Still some issues on the first layer caused by blobs where it oozed on travels....but it's a functional part at least.

These will hold up some bits of dead tree to form another one of these....that I badly need as you can see :rolleyes:

Now to further destroy my sanity by printing something with threads using the stuff.....and I think we may be printing air already *facepalm*

• Love
Reactions: Zaf
Soldato
Could be damp but first thing to try would be a wash/wipe with Fairy liquid/Dawn dishsoap followed by a rinse. Either in sink if suitable removable plate or wipe with damp kitchen towel with a dab of fairy if not and then just water. I've had PETG leave a residue that PLA just won't stick too and IPA doesn't get it off.
Could also be not enough squish (initial height/levelling) of the first layer but I'd try dishsoap first.

I've given the bed a wash, although I don't think it's that, as the same thing is happening on the PC bed which came with the printer, and my other filament is sticking fine. Even the cat gcode which came with the printer is failing, and that has worked perfectly before.

I've just put a coating of pritt-stick on, so let's see if that works (can also try stealing some of the other half's hair spray :p)

If all else fails, my son is just going to have to make do with a white dinosaur instead of a red one...

Soldato
OP
If all else fails, my son is just going to have to make do with a white dinosaur instead of a red one...
Oh, I've been there!

Hair spray can help but like glue it's a bit messy. Your other option is blue painters tape (I think any kind of masking tape would probably do). You need to try to get it nice and close without overlapping unless the bottom of your part doesn't matter. Doesn't leave the residence unless you properly bake it on.

Very slow first layer can also help. Had to do that with PETG on a glass bed.

Soldato
Looks like the glue has done the job, got a decent first layer and it seems to be building up fine - fingers crossed!

I've got a load of yellow frog tape left over, so might try that next time - that's the "delicate surface" one, so hopefully nice and easy to remove after as well.

Strange how it's only this filament (saying that, I only have 3 others to compare against) Is it worth investing in a filament dryer (not only for this particular case, just in general)?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is it worth investing in a filament dryer (not only for this particular case, just in general)?
Yes, definitely. If for no other reason than it gives you something to try! PLA supposedly doesn't get much of a problem with moisture absorption but PETG can and more exotic things (nylon, for example) even more so. I've just been having fun with some PETG-CF. Brand new roll, vacuum-packed to within an inch of its life...but utterly unusable before I dried it. The thing with a dryer is that you need it to be able to go hot enough for the filaments you use, have a fan so it actually achieves anything and be large enough to fit however many rolls you want to dry at a time. I started with a Sunlu Filadry S2 (which doesn't have a fan) and then grabbed an S4 (has fan and four roll capacity) when it came up on kickstarted. You can, on most/all of them use them as a sort of drybox to print directly out of too....if that's relevant to you. The food dehydrators that Scougar was mentioning seem to be something people swear by but I think last time I looked here, they were either too small or quite expensive.
Noise is something to consider too. The S2 doesn't have a fan and seemed to do ok if I kept turning the real and blowing out any moist air. The S4 has fan(s) and I tried to run it in the office....until my wife pointedly asked if it was going to be running for long! :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yes, definitely. If for no other reason than it gives you something to try! PLA supposedly doesn't get much of a problem with moisture absorption but PETG can and more exotic things (nylon, for example) even more so. I've just been having fun with some PETG-CF. Brand new roll, vacuum-packed to within an inch of its life...but utterly unusable before I dried it. The thing with a dryer is that you need it to be able to go hot enough for the filaments you use, have a fan so it actually achieves anything and be large enough to fit however many rolls you want to dry at a time. I started with a Sunlu Filadry S2 (which doesn't have a fan) and then grabbed an S4 (has fan and four roll capacity) when it came up on kickstarted. You can, on most/all of them use them as a sort of drybox to print directly out of too....if that's relevant to you. The food dehydrators that Scougar was mentioning seem to be something people swear by but I think last time I looked here, they were either too small or quite expensive.
Noise is something to consider too. The S2 doesn't have a fan and seemed to do ok if I kept turning the real and blowing out any moist air. The S4 has fan(s) and I tried to run it in the office....until my wife pointedly asked if it was going to be running for long! :rolleyes:

Thanks, single roll would probably be enough (famous last words...) - I was looking at the Creality one which has a fan by the look of it. Also seems the Sunlu S2 has been updated and also has a fan now. Can't see anything about noise levels on them though :(

Need to print some slightly more durable stuff for outside, so I do have a roll of PETG to try out at some point (need to work on my modelling skills first :p), I'll check out some reviews.

Soldato
OP
PETG is where most of my stuff is. Bit springy so good for things that flex and not so brittle it snaps. Pretty UV resistant. Good enough temp resistance that you can use it in the car apparently (I know you can't use PLA, it just droops). Doesn't have to have a fan so quiet if that's relevant. Generally quite well behaved once you get the right brand and settings for your printer. I've had good results with the Sunlu PETG in black, white and grey but maybe my printer is different to the one someone else said they were having grief with.
You might find that if you have a PEI bed, it could stick too well and peel the PEI off. Depends how good it is and if it's textured. I can recommend the Lightyear 3D garolite (G10) beds for working very nicely without need for glue. Haven't used any of the other plates that came with the printer since I got it.

Soldato
PETG is where most of my stuff is. Bit springy so good for things that flex and not so brittle it snaps. Pretty UV resistant. Good enough temp resistance that you can use it in the car apparently (I know you can't use PLA, it just droops). Doesn't have to have a fan so quiet if that's relevant. Generally quite well behaved once you get the right brand and settings for your printer. I've had good results with the Sunlu PETG in black, white and grey but maybe my printer is different to the one someone else said they were having grief with.
You might find that if you have a PEI bed, it could stick too well and peel the PEI off. Depends how good it is and if it's textured. I can recommend the Lightyear 3D garolite (G10) beds for working very nicely without need for glue. Haven't used any of the other plates that came with the printer since I got it.

I have a smooth PEI spring steel bed and the textured PC spring steel one which came with the printer; have read about PETG being a bit sticky on PEI, so will use the PC one for that :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Hello,

Apologies for just dropping in out of nowhere. I've had a couple simple & small projects I've wanted to 3D print and I was just going to use a 3rd party printing service however I have just spotted this: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/794580275625523/

Would this be a good deal? Seems like a decent price. I imagine it'll be a pain to get sorted for someone who just wants to print minor things for now however it is something I've wanted to learn (I can 3D model already) and gives me the ability to trial & error without a bigger cost and postman delay.

Soldato
OP
Apologies for just dropping in out of nowhere.
That's pretty much what this thread was for.
I've had a couple simple & small projects I've wanted to 3D print and I was just going to use a 3rd party printing service however I have just spotted this: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/794580275625523/

Would this be a good deal?
Ah....depends? I've got an Ender 5 Pro and it's alright but it's definitely a gen old - maybe two. Out the box, it doesn't do auto levelling, hasn't got a great controller or extruder, or bed (bed is likely bowed and plate isn't great for sticking things to). It depends whether you want to pay little to start, get frustrated and then upgrade it until you're happy with it. It's a valid path but wasn't for me. The alternative is you get something like a Bambu A1 Mini (if lower price but smaller print volume 180x180x180mm is an attractive trade). It'll work out the box and you can sped your time printing stuff rather than swearing at it. They're about £230 and there are jumps up in models above that. I believe that Prusa is also good (but pricey) and some of the very new Creality printers are supposed to have been forced to get significantly better than they were at the time of the Ender 5.
Also, I've obviously got no idea on the state of a 2nd hand printer from Facebook. Not saying it's bad, just that there's probably no guarantee.

Reactions: Dup
Associate
I would never buy a second hand printer, there's too many variables you'll not know about without having them show you it doing a full setup and print.

Save the money and get a Bambu, like above, the full size A1 has just come back in stock and is a steal. You'll probably save the cost of not wasting filament by getting something that works well.

Reactions: Dup

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. As much as I like the chase and tinkering, I am getting older and more to the point. The Bambu looks like a nice bit of a kit; I'll save up a bit more then wait for a good deal to come up :)

Soldato
First attempt at TPU:

ocSBWDD.png

Bottom layers are absolutely perfect, but as you can see, when it gets to the top there are holes and the tip of the tail just looks like a melted blob.

Guessing it's either:
  • Printing too fast - because the layers are smaller, it's not getting a chance to cool before printing the next layer on top
  • Not enough support (supposed to be a squishy toy, so no infill)
  • Something else?
  • Combination of the above
Have read that it might be worth printing a basic shape off to the side to increase the layer printing time, rather than just slowing the print head down and having it "hover" around the print, which might actually make it worse due to the constant heat in 1 place?

Last edited:
Associate
I would imagine it's not enough support given its a round shape.

May be worth printing a very small internal support structure under just those affected areas rather than an infill if you can persuade your slicer to do that

Back
Top Bottom