Random 3D printing chatter

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I must say its a useful but frustrating tool to have. My latest issue after discovering PLA absobs water, is that my glass bed on the ender 3 is slightly warped and for some other vague reason the filament refuses to stick to the bumpy side now. Ive flipped the bed to the shiney side and that seems much better :o

Odd thing is that, to my eye the surface on the correct side of the glass bed looks quite good not worn at all.

Soldato
I must say its a useful but frustrating tool to have. My latest issue after discovering PLA absobs water, is that my glass bed on the ender 3 is slightly warped and for some other vague reason the filament refuses to stick to the bumpy side now. Ive flipped the bed to the shiney side and that seems much better :o

Odd thing is that, to my eye the surface on the correct side of the glass bed looks quite good not worn at all.

Years ago when I had a creality printer I used a glass mirror from Ikea as the bed held on with crodile clips and coated with glue from a glue stick, worked good from what I remember.

Last edited:
Associate
To save making a random thread just to show off, I purchased a Bambu Lab A1!

My last 3D printing foray was an original Anycubic resin printer, which was frustrating to get it to work consistently (but was amazing when it did work).

The A1, except for some failures likely due to an unclean bed or my attempt to move it to the (very cold) garage has been exceptional. First kg has been printed in the last few days already!

I'm suffering with a bit of poor adhesion and am tweaking the settings to try and solve this, but may have made my first layer too thick, but I'll find out when the current print is done!

Soldato
Hi all,

A bit of a random query, I hope someone could help with.

My prints have been failing recently to what I think is because the PLA is sticking when being pulled from the spool. I've cleaned up the motor area with some air and the spool does pull fine. Just on occasion it gets stuck, I can't seem to figure out why...apart from one hunch.

My 3d printer sits next to a radiator, which of course has been on more recently. I appreciate its heat, but not particularly high heat of course. Do some of you agree this heat might be causing some of these areas to stick a little?

Just to clarify, when I say stick, I mean the feed motor is still turning but the PLA isn't moving. I have to go and pull it myself to free it...then it magically works again.

Of course, I've turned the radiator off today and new plastic on the way...but am I missing something else?

Many thanks in advance :)

Soldato
What does it mean if im seeing some inconsistent Z banding but only on the X axis and none on the Y axis? if bands are on X axis does that mean its an issue with the bed movement on the Y axis? could it be belt related?

pics attached:

x-axis.jpg

y-axis.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Printed this the otter day, the Phoenix is a dual color filament, it seems to have changed direction or something? at the bottom of the face/head, and the base is a tri color filament

SKHysbM.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
Didnt want to make a new thread, but just upgraded by 8 year old Wanhao duplicator i3 to a Creality V3 SE, and wow its just so much better. I got to the point where I was dreading printing because I knew Id have to sit and level the bed and baby sit the first layer and then keep an eye on it for slippages. So far this printer has exceeded all my expectations especially for the price (~£139 from aliexpress delivered). First print was literally drop file on sd card and hit print, levelled itself, did its z-axis offset thing, then cleaned its nozzle int he corner and just worked. Only printed a handful of things since but each has just been that easy. Also its so much quieter and can be so much faster. This actually feels like a 3d printer for the masses to me. Took me about 13mins to setup which was just a few screws.
If anyone is on the fence over it I can thoroughly recommend. The features to price on this is crazy. Also the magnetic bed thing is great but wow the prints stick to it hard.

Soldato
Didnt want to make a new thread, but just upgraded by 8 year old Wanhao duplicator i3 to a Creality V3 SE, and wow its just so much better. I got to the point where I was dreading printing because I knew Id have to sit and level the bed and baby sit the first layer and then keep an eye on it for slippages. So far this printer has exceeded all my expectations especially for the price (~£139 from aliexpress delivered). First print was literally drop file on sd card and hit print, levelled itself, did its z-axis offset thing, then cleaned its nozzle int he corner and just worked. Only printed a handful of things since but each has just been that easy. Also its so much quieter and can be so much faster. This actually feels like a 3d printer for the masses to me. Took me about 13mins to setup which was just a few screws.
If anyone is on the fence over it I can thoroughly recommend. The features to price on this is crazy. Also the magnetic bed thing is great but wow the prints stick to it hard.

I noticed the same with mine, some prints were really hard to get off, so I got a PEI sheet yesterday, and it seemed a lot easier to remove (although I've only tried 1 print with it so far).

Back
Top Bottom