Random 3D printing chatter

Soldato
Cheers, I'll give that a go.

Noticed I was getting a load of stringing as well, tweaked the retraction, temperature, and cooling and much better, so will try again with some support (or minimal infill if I can't get that to work) :)

Soldato
OP
If you're aiming for entirely hollow, that's your problem. Howabout something like Lightning infill that's designed to be almost not there and just provide minimum support?
The tail, I reckon you're right there with the minimum layer time or not enough cooling - the heat of the nozzle has melted previous layers. Perversely, it could be minimum layer time that's CAUSING the problem as one of the options (if I remember correctly) is rather than print layer, wait, print next layer, it will just slow down the extrude so that it takes at least the minium time to do the layer. That slow movement is what would be causing the re-melting. Worth a check of the timelapse that you're bound to have turned off on the one time it would be useful!
You might be on the right track with the separate item to soak up layer time but the downside would be that you'll get stringing to/from it instead....unless you've really nailed it with those retraction tweaks.

Soldato
Was just at my buddies house in New Jersey, and had a look at his two Prusa XL's (I think they were called). 5 tool heads, massive bed. Minimal wastage of filament. I suddenly now need to spend $4k plus ....

Soldato
OP
Yup, the XL. Seen it, drooled a bit. Worth checking into opinions (I mean, your friend should do!) as I've heard they can be a bit picky. Also heard that PETG can, perversely, need it's temp INCREASED to reduce ooze and stringing. Apparently it makes it a bit more fluid and let's the retract work.

Soldato
Finally bought myself a UPS (APC 1500VA/900w AVR), after a local transformer blew and caused printer to reset. Print was 75% done on a day and a half print, and as I am producing these parts now to sell, I can't have that.

Not really a money saver, just a time saver.

Associate
Finally bought myself a UPS (APC 1500VA/900w AVR), after a local transformer blew and caused printer to reset. Print was 75% done on a day and a half print, and as I am producing these parts now to sell, I can't have that.

Not really a money saver, just a time saver.
Suppose you could argue it is a money saver on it bridges the gap during power cuts often enough to avoid wasting the already spent filament & electricity.

Soldato
Yup, the XL. Seen it, drooled a bit. Worth checking into opinions (I mean, your friend should do!) as I've heard they can be a bit picky. Also heard that PETG can, perversely, need it's temp INCREASED to reduce ooze and stringing. Apparently it makes it a bit more fluid and let's the retract work.

He prints mostly in PETG, and uses PLA for support material. He is currently printing multi-colour magnetic holsters for competition shooting amongst other things. I haven't asked him about any issues with it. He did show me in the modelling tool how to do fuzzy skin using multi-models in the slicer, and then stippled it after, and it looks and works amazingly well.

For my sins, I just bought a second FLSUN V400 yesterday to support my small business of printing paintball parts as I got quite a few orders. I can tell you, it's a little scary investing, then re-investing money into something when it's thousands of dollars.

Soldato
OP
Cool. Multi toolhead is definitely the better way for mixed materials. Less chance of jamming when you have different temps to deal with and also no chance of them being mixed when they shouldn't. For example, I tried to print a PETG part using PLA as non-stick support. Printed well but the parts that were supported just fell off as there was enough PLA mixed in later on that it wasn't cohesive. Maybe longer purge would have done it but not mixing them in the first place sounds better!
"investing...": Yup, definitely. At least in IT, it's usually someone else's money on the line! ;)

Last edited:
Associate
these came up on my feed yesterday, thought there were some actually decent wife friendly prints.

Pretty cool set of designs, although a fair amount of post print work. If my girlfriend sees them she will want me to print them so hoping she doesn’t come across the set of designs!

Associate
Have just been sorting some opened rolls of filament, really need to sort out some storage boxes rather then leaving them loose in the garage!

Just realised a Sunlu grey spool I have is labelled as ABS when it would have been PETG I ordered. I have only printed one smallish thing, but it would have been with the PETG profile in Orca Slicer, and I had no issues at all. They look similar in terms of temperatures, with ABS having ideally slightly higher nozzle/bed temp, I have been meaning to get some ABS but not printed with it (intentionally) yet.

Is it likely that ABS would have printed acceptably with a PETG profile (70/255), or more likely that the spool is mislabelled and actually is PETG?

Soldato
OP
I've not printed ABS yet for the reason you're about to get. Did it smell bad when you printed it? If so, it was ABS. You could wipe some acetone on some and if it starts dissolving, it's ABS.

Soldato
OP
On the storage aspect, I've been wondering if some 4l (tall, rectangular) food storage containers would fit a spool. Obviously cylindrical would be better but you're into 3D printing specific and therefore horrendously expensive. If anyone else has found something inexpensive that fits and does a decent job, I'd love to hear about it!

Associate
I've not printed ABS yet for the reason you're about to get. Did it smell bad when you printed it? If so, it was ABS. You could wipe some acetone on some and if it starts dissolving, it's ABS.
I didn’t notice any kind of smell while printing, although the printer is in my garage. Don’t have any proper acetone, but tried some nail varnish remover (acetone based) and it made no noticeable impact.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think it was probably mislabelled. May try printing some more today to be sure and pay more attention to smell.

Soldato
Thought it might be best to post in here than to make an another new thread about printer recommendations.

I’ve toyed with the idea of getting one before but I didn’t end up getting one.

budget is around £150 I’ve seen I can get a elegoo Neptune 3 pro (new) for just shy of that or a used Neptune 4 but it would be missing the accessories and show signs of use (both directly off there site)

Out of them 2 what would you guys recommend getting or would you look at something else?

Soldato
OP
I've not tried any of the Elegoo printers so I've no idea what they're like. Looks good on paper though. Another option is that Bambu have just taken £100 off the A1 Mini (and others) bringing it down to £169....which is "around" your budget. :D

Associate
On the storage aspect, I've been wondering if some 4l (tall, rectangular) food storage containers would fit a spool. Obviously cylindrical would be better but you're into 3D printing specific and therefore horrendously expensive. If anyone else has found something inexpensive that fits and does a decent job, I'd love to hear about it!
No sure it classes as inexpensive but girlfriend is suggesting I get a 2nd AMS for my P1S during the sale for storage :cry::D

Is very tempting, have just received and assembled the PCB kit for a TD-1 which seems pretty neat, may finally get around to trying Hueforge which be even easier with a range of filament ready to go.

Soldato
OP
Saw that. Would need the AMS hub too though. I'm struggling for room as it is. Couldn't keep the X1C in my office as it was just too loud. Had to put it the other side of the partition wall in the workshop/shed side...on the floor as I'm out of bench space already. Maybe continue going vertically! Someone suggested I use the ceiling for additional storage....nope, seen it, used it, filled it! :D

Associate
Mine is in the garage for much the same reasons, have managed to dedicate a pretty big shelf for printing, although pretty full. I did already setup the first AMS in a way that I can slot a 2nd underneath so won't lose any extra space.

Haven't looked for a while, but an impressive range of spare parts and extra bits and pieces now, including a 4-in-1 PTFE Adapter. I have a Y piece I printed way back which works well for feeding external filament but this is even better, and for £5 is an absolute no brainer to add to the order, have to applaud them for the reasonable pricing.

Soldato
OP
managed to dedicate a pretty big shelf for printing
I had to 3D print my shelves. This is a competition, right?! ;-D

I went with The Smoothy 2:1 but yeah, the 4:1 would definitely be worth adding to an order for a fiver....be rude not to!

I'm contemplating getting an A1 Mini in the sale to put in the office to address those times a large print is ongoing and I want to be prototyping something else. It does tend to be a case of no prints or a desire to print two. If I do go that route I'd have an Ender 5 Pro, Pi4b Octopi and a bunch of upgrades (hotend and controller) I never got round to installing if anyone is keen enough to make me an offer to get me to P&P them :D

Back
Top Bottom