• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Random black screens can only get out by restarting. Rare occasion for there to be flickering green squares with hard crash.

Associate
Any idea what the title could be caused by. Guessing its GPU related. but its only started happening in the last few days or so. Its completely intermittent too. It can happen non stop for hours, making it unusable. and then I can leave it, come back hours later and play all night with no issues.

Its happened twice today. but am currently using the system fine. Lovely for it to happen during a work deadline!

its a 4090 but I have it custom watercooled and power limited at 97% I also monitor temps so I don't think its a heat issue. Seemed to happen most during sudden bouts of intense raytracing. using marmoset toolbag to render a scene.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Still happening with drivers rolled back. although less frequently. None of the green squares stuff. Just a black screen. But I've noticed after about 10 seconds now that it just restarts itself. Maybe its a power issue?

Caporegime
"Flickering green squares" graphics corruption like that is usually an indication of bad memory on the GPU, are you monitoring memory temps on the GPU? under clock the memory to see if it still happens.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Do you game on it at all? It might show more distortion there. Sounds like the vram has possibly gone faulty.
Tbh the green squares thing has only happened like 2 of 20 times. I was gaming on it all last night with no problems. and even when it happened, it was in combination with a hard system crash, not seeing any artefacting while a game running or anything

Last edited:
Associate
OP
"Flickering green squares" graphics corruption like that is usually an indication of bad memory on the GPU, are you monitoring memory temps on the GPU? under clock the memory to see if it still happens.
Yeah none of my temps for anything normally go above 60 under intense load. Currently temps are around 30 on idle while its happening

Last edited:
Caporegime
Blackscreening, while that could be all sorts of things it could also memory, the green squares thing is almost certainly memory even if its only very occasionally, its not going to hurt to under clock the memory by 300 to 500 Mhz for a while to confirm.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Blackscreening, while that could be all sorts of things it could also memory, the green squares thing is almost certainly memory even if its only very occasionally, its not going to hurt to under clock the memory by 300 to 500 Mhz for a while to confirm.
I will try that. There just seems to be no pattern to it at all. Can sometimes happen multiple times an hour. or go a whole day without a hitch. Come to think of it now. I actually had this about 4 months ago. before I got the 90 degree cable mod adaptor for 4090. and then it never happened again. Until now

Caporegime
I will try that. There just seems to be no pattern to it at all. Can sometimes happen multiple times an hour. or go a whole day without a hitch. Come to think of it now. I actually had this about 4 months ago. before I got the 90 degree cable mod adaptor for 4090. and then it never happened again. Until now

Check the adaptor still seated firmly and that there is no damage to it.

Associate
OP
UcDxte8.png

Hitting it with a load, temps don't go past 45/50 tops

Associate
OP
Ok, read post #12 and #13, once confirmed all is well leave it clocked like that for a while, a while could be a couple of weeks, for how ever long it takes for you to be satisfied its not doing it any more, or is...
Just before you posted, thats exactly what I did. No signs of anything unusual. Been going for half an hour now without a crash...

Associate
OP
Ok its not giving you any more problems at those clocks i would think about RMA'ing it, how old is it

Less than a year. I got it in November/december time I think.

Would have liked to avoid RMA because dissassembling and reassembling waterblocks on these expensive GPUs scares me :cry: Will have to put the founders edition cooler back on.

As you say, if I can get it stable I will wait a week or two and see how it goes, try and figure out what is actually causing it before the nuclear option

Last edited:
Caporegime
Less than a year. I got it in November/december time I think.

Would have liked to avoid RMA because dissassembling and reassembling waterblocks on these expensive GPUs scares me :cry: Will have to put the founders edition cooler back on.

They don't need to know you did that. I take it you didn't keep the "Warrenty Void If Removed" screw sticker? Did you buy it from Nvidia direct? if so they should be less fussy about that, either way plead ignorance, i'm not even sure they can legally enforce those stickers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom