• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Random black screens can only get out by restarting. Rare occasion for there to be flickering green squares with hard crash.

Caporegime
RMA'ing the GPU, if it is the GPU, TBH i think it is, might be a pain but at the end of the day if its faulty its faulty, its not going to get better over time and the longer you pontificate over it the older it will get and with that the chances of you getting the best outcome diminish, its why i asked how old it is, usally they don't do a full refund if its more than 6 months old.

Associate
OP
Did you buy it from here? :D if you did they obviously now know you swapped the cooler, i would phone them and have a chat with them about it, see what they say.
No I didn't it was founders edition so only through Nvidia/ their distributor that is OCUKs competitor.

still not had a crash since. Hard to tell if its the memory or reseating of cables that has thus far alleviated it. Done some more renders too with no issues.

Associate
OP
so cables can work themselves out over time? great design
I'm telling you man this new connector is probably causing more issues than people realise. It just seems like its so sensitive and prone to various issues. So many people I spoke to about the issues I had said the GPU was probably dead but had no explanation as to why like 90% of the time it would work without a hitch. As you say I think this could be it, just working its way out slowly over time. I have no other explanation. I'm no expert but I've been building PCs for over 10 years now and never had issues like this before.

Associate
Yes, one of their 4 way adaptors
In which case i am 95% sure it is the cable causing you issues . I am on my THIRD!! cable after the last 2 caused exactly what you are having , random black screen crashing . It is a known issue with the cablemod cables unfortunately... they say its due to the sense wires , contact their support page and they will ask you to cut up you existing cable before sending a new one out ( RMA ). For the time being using the standard Nvidia supplied adaptor and enjoy no black screens at all :cry:

BTW do not do what i done and rma a GPU back to Hong Kong to only get a brand new gpu back and for it to do exactly the same thing due to the stupid cablemods cable issue :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
In which case i am 95% sure it is the cable causing you issues . I am on my THIRD!! cable after the last 2 caused exactly what you are having , random black screen crashing . It is a known issue with the cablemod cables unfortunately... they say its due to the sense wires , contact their support page and they will ask you to cut up you existing cable before sending a new one out ( RMA ). For the time being using the standard Nvidia supplied adaptor and enjoy no black screens at all :cry:
I've ordered new ones anyway, a blue set with new 12VHPWR, I'm waiting for the new lian li evo xl to come out. Want to change up all the colours and use those new corsair link fans. Gonna have triple 360 rads. Cooling atm is okay but I think for a 4090 and 12900k it needs a bit more cooling than I have, wanting to get a 13900k too so.

Associate
I've ordered new ones anyway, a blue set with new 12VHPWR, I'm waiting for the new lian li evo xl to come out. Want to change up all the colours and use those new corsair link fans. Gonna have triple 360 rads. Cooling atm is okay but I think for a 4090 and 12900k it needs a bit more cooling than I have, wanting to get a 13900k too so.
still contact them as they will offer you a refund for the one that has failed if you have already bought new , they offered me that option but i just said send me another cable which they did.

New setup sounds nice although at this point maybe wait for 14900k? , i am running a 011XL with triple rads and a 4090 / 13900k direct die and cooling is very good although room gets rather hot but hay at least the cooling system is efficient and components stay cool :cry:

20230629-184417.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
still contact them as they will offer you a refund for the one that has failed if you have already bought new , they offered me that option but i just said send me another cable which they did.

New setup sounds nice , i am running a 011XL with triple rads and a 4090 / 13900k direct die and cooling is very good although room gets rather hot but hay at least the cooling system is efficient and components stay cool :cry:

20230629-184417.jpg
running that 850w heater cant be good in summer:D looks nice tho

Last edited:
Associate
OP

New setup sounds nice although at this point maybe wait for 14900k? , i am running a 011XL with triple rads and a 4090 / 13900k direct die and cooling is very good although room gets rather hot but hay at least the cooling system is efficient and components stay cool :cry:

20230629-184417.jpg

Very similar to my current setup!

Although mine is a bit more jank hence me wanting to do it a bit better

QxO7bxw.jpg

Associate
OP
I can 100% confirm adding extra rads will not help that situation , quit the opposite in fact :cry:

The EVO XL will serve you well and will swallow 3 rads no problem at all :D
Yeah tbh I mostly just want it so I can run the fans at lower RPM. I use it for work and am autistic and being in a silent room is non negotiable. Just makes a bit too much noise for my liking as is, I've got those nice new corsair link fans that daisy chain though so no more rats nest in the back with all the RGB and fan cables

Back
Top Bottom