raptor or seagate....

Associate
ok well ive ordered my new c2d and 8800gtx system, was gonna get a 150gb raptor but not sure.

i have a 74gb 8mb cache raptor at mo, which would be better , 150gb raptor, or 2 7200.10 seagate in raid 0?

want the system to be quick as quick gets

Man of Honour
[Death] said:
want the system to be quick as quick gets

Hmm, you'll be wanting 8 Seagate Cheetah 15Ks in RAID0 on an Adaptec 4805 PCIe SAS card then. Shame that'll set you back about £4.5K ;)

Seriously though I'd be going with the Seagates in RAID0 and a decent backup strategy.

Associate
is there any links that people know of that explain all this RAID,SATA RAPTOR stuff cos i dont have a clue! i just have 2 standards HD's at mo i think, and im upgradin PC and i dunno if i need to be upgrading my HD's as well.
Im a N00b!!!!! been out of all the computer scene for bout 4 years so im catchin up lol

Man of Honour
Soldato
Raptor is Westerd Digital's enthusiast line of hard disks. They're menat to be very fast and they have accompanying high price tags. Most consumer hard drives spin at 7200 RPM. Raptors spin at 10000 RPM. They're all-around faster than other consumer-level drives but are generally far more expensive than similarly-sized competing 7200 RPM drives.

SATA is a communication protocol that has become popular in the past few years. It's how your computer will communicate with your hard disk. SATA is replacing PATA becasue it's faster and its cables are not as huge and ugly. ;)
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

A RAID is a Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. It is a method of improving performance, data reliability, or both by means of using multiple disks. The RAID setups common to enthusiasts are RAID 0 for performance and RAID 1 for data security. RAID 0 writes data across both disks so each disk contains part of the total piece of data. This makes accessing or writing the data faster becasue two disks are teaming up to do it. However, if one drive in the array fails all data will be lost. RAID 1 writes the same data to two disks. If one disk in the array fails the other will still contain the information so the data is safe (assuming that both drives don't fail at once). There are loads of other RAID configurations but they are mostly used in datacenter or server environments abecasue as you move to fancier setups the cost rises.
Wikipeida: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Back
Top Bottom