Raptor raid setup info needed

Permabanned
right, i am going to be getting another 36gb raptor for a raid 0 setup on my DQ6 couple of things i wanted to know, whats the best size for the stripe block size i.e 4kb - 128kb, also i have heard and seen that there are limits with the raid controler on this board and with raptors, will this be much of a problem as the limit is about 110mb/s iirc are the drives going to be a lot slower than with an unrestrcted raid controler?

edit: this is what im on about, third graph down shows the restriction

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8325182&postcount=26

cheers

Associate
Massive Attack said:
right, i am going to be getting another 36gb raptor for a raid 0 setup on my DQ6 couple of things i wanted to know, whats the best size for the stripe block size i.e 4kb - 128kb, also i have heard and seen that there are limits with the raid controler on this board and with raptors, will this be much of a problem as the limit is about 110mb/s iirc are the drives going to be a lot slower than with an unrestrcted raid controler?

edit: this is what im on about, third graph down shows the restriction

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8325182&postcount=26

cheers

Yo, atm I *THINK* it might jsut be the gigaraid controller im using, however im going to do a re-install in windows using the Intel ones.

Im also using the 128kb data blocks, dont know if this would make a diff either.

Ill let you know, as gigabyte are also interested in seeing if a re-install of windows will help, cos they're stumped, possibly jsut a dogey windows install?

Anyways will get back to you.

Permabanned
OP
nVIDIA_Master said:
Yo, atm I *THINK* it might jsut be the gigaraid controller im using, however im going to do a re-install in windows using the Intel ones.

Im also using the 128kb data blocks, dont know if this would make a diff either.

Ill let you know, as gigabyte are also interested in seeing if a re-install of windows will help, cos they're stumped, possibly jsut a dogey windows install?

Anyways will get back to you.
thanks a lot m8, keep me posted, i think i will use the 128kb aswell should make game load quicker or maybe 64 havent decided yet

Associate
Massive Attack said:
thanks a lot m8, keep me posted, i think i will use the 128kb aswell should make game load quicker or maybe 64 havent decided yet

bigger is better generally

think of it like this, if you have a 10mb file

To store it on the raid array, it will have to break it down into 80 bits

10240 kb / 128 = 80

which means each drives has to write 40 blocks of data each

whereas on 64 it will have to write 80 blocks each, but as it can only do 2 blocks at a time (accross both drives) it takes longer to write those blocks and then re-read them.

Or so goes the theory, depending what your going to do with them.

Associate
Hi again

after much testing and working with gigabyte the problem still remains, it seems that is the average limit of this motherboard.

Im still working with gigabyte ont rying to resolve the problem, so will let you know
Cheers
NvidM

Permabanned
OP
nVIDIA_Master said:
Hi again

after much testing and working with gigabyte the problem still remains, it seems that is the average limit of this motherboard.

Im still working with gigabyte ont rying to resolve the problem, so will let you know
Cheers
NvidM
cheers m8ty going to go for 128kb blocks then when i get a new drive, let me know what gigabyte say as to resolving the issue.

Back
Top Bottom