Rattling noise from BeQuiet Silent Loop

Soldato
OP
Cheers Orbital.

I've now checked the fill port and given the unit a good rotate and twist with the fill port open. Sounded like a little bit of air in the system, but now it's back together and still rattling.

Weirdly, as I rotated the radiator the fill port level went up and down slightly. Would this indicate an air bubble that was moving around?

Soldato
Might do, that and fluid dynamics and the world of Physics lol

I have a feeling it could be the pump mounted inside , might be a bit loose .

Alphacool site has 3D construction of how the Eiswolfnis put together , silent loop is 95% this .
See unit out mounted down to cold plate

Soldato
OP
There's nothing wrong with the pump noise of the BeQuiet. It's usually inaudible under normal operation.

The rattling is the issue here and isn't what I'd call normal operation of this cooler :)

Associate
The rattling has returned with mine even at the lower voltage, so the time has now come to RMA.

Did you RMA in the end agw_01?

Soldato
OP
Let me know how you get on with the RMA Zola.

No, mine's still here. Either it's got a bit quieter or I'm used to it now, haha. I'm too scared to send it back to OcUK in case they return it with NFF (even thought it quite clearly is rattling).

They have a long warranty so if it gets any worse I'll look to return it.

Associate
Unfortunately I didn't buy mine from OCUK as it was much cheaper elsewhere, and it looks like I'll have to RMA to BeQuiet in Germany. That'll teach me :)

Associate
By way of an update...got a replacement after trying many different tactics to get the rattling to go away...

The new one is completely rattle free and nearly totally silent! Only run it for a few minutes and hopefully it stays that way!

Soldato
OP
That's good @nthony, was yours from OcUK? What was the RMA procedure like?

Mine was very noticeable the other night so I think I'll get it sent off for replacement. I'm guessing it'll be a refurbished unit rather than brand new.

Associate
It wasn't from OCUK, it was from another large online retailer sadly, kind of wish I had got from OCUK as I struggled to find the right page to request the RMA, it was buried in a very obscure place. Once I found it and carefully crafted an e-mail stating my concerns that the noise was indicative of a more serious underlying problem and that I had tried various methods of remediating as suggested by the online community and manufacturer. As a result I wanted to get a replacement or order a different cooler to mitigate the risk of the cooler failing and potentially causing damage to the CPU etc..
I had an e-mail the next day appologising for the inconvenience caused and so on, followed by a statement letting me know they'd sent me another one using their next day delivery service (I am already subscribed to it so that could be the reason I got it so fast). They just asked that I return the old cooler with all the fittings within 30 days of receiving the e-mail otherwise they would charge me for the replacement which is more than reasonable I thought.
I will send the old one back in a few days once I'm confident the new one doesn't turn out to be worse.

I would suggest you don't dawdle with starting the RMA process though as the longer you leave it more difficult it could end up being.

Good luck, have fun!

Soldato
good to
It wasn't from OCUK, it was from another large online retailer sadly, kind of wish I had got from OCUK as I struggled to find the right page to request the RMA, it was buried in a very obscure place. Once I found it and carefully crafted an e-mail stating my concerns that the noise was indicative of a more serious underlying problem and that I had tried various methods of remediating as suggested by the online community and manufacturer. As a result I wanted to get a replacement or order a different cooler to mitigate the risk of the cooler failing and potentially causing damage to the CPU etc..
I had an e-mail the next day appologising for the inconvenience caused and so on, followed by a statement letting me know they'd sent me another one using their next day delivery service (I am already subscribed to it so that could be the reason I got it so fast). They just asked that I return the old cooler with all the fittings within 30 days of receiving the e-mail otherwise they would charge me for the replacement which is more than reasonable I thought.
I will send the old one back in a few days once I'm confident the new one doesn't turn out to be worse.

I would suggest you don't dawdle with starting the RMA process though as the longer you leave it more difficult it could end up being.

Good luck, have fun!

hear its sorted , tried mounting it normal way and upside down to see temp difference ?

when the pump is correct really is deadly silent, just built a build using its cousin the Eisbaer and its got an annoying hum

Soldato
I know it's an old thread. I've been running my 280mm for a year or so now with no problems at all. I moved from custom loops to air years ago and have tried / tested several CLCs that were all too much noise. While Silent Loop is a AIO, it is not a CLC, and I'm completely happy with it's extremely low noise level and great cooling ability.

Soldato
Brought one of these second hand and was silent but started rattling after a couple of weeks. Maybe I got one of the same batch you guys had or even worse did any of you sell one on a popular auction site 6 weeks ago or so haha

I've stripped it apart and was surprised at the amount of debris in the block and pump. Looked like solder flux from the radiator.

Built it back up again with some lubricant on the spindle of the impeller and undervolted and it's quieter but defiantly some noise there if you put your ear right up to it.

Soldato
OP
I've still got my original cooler, happily rattling away. Tbh, until very recently I'd forgotten about it due to mainly using the machine for games and wearing headphones more.

Thanks for posting your feedback Finners. I probably should get around to sending it away for an RMA.

Associate
I have the same issue, its not that loud but still anoying.

I can't RMA since i changed the fan and gave the pure wings which came with it.

It's a little little ratlle but i really hate it.. If i reduce the speed of the pump it's better but i read everywhere that those kind of aio pumps are supposed to run at 12v no matter what?

So don't know what to do. GO back to an air cooler but which one?

Try another AIO?

Last edited:
Associate
After having to RMA/replace 4 AIOs from two manufacturers in a little under 18 months I've given up and gone back to air myself. Currently using the Noctua DH-15 which I can certainly recommend, provided you have the room for it.

Soldato
OP
Bit of an update, my cooler has recently started to intermittently sound like this.

Seems completely random and will normally shut up by itself after a few minutes. I'm guessing the impellor is moving off the pump spindle and rubbing on the housing as the pump speed will drop down to 500rpm when the noise starts (normally 2200rpm).

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of an update, my cooler has recently started to intermittently sound like this.

Seems completely random and will normally shut up by itself after a few minutes. I'm guessing the impellor is moving off the pump spindle and rubbing on the housing as the pump speed will drop down to 500rpm when the noise starts (normally 2200rpm).
Can't listen to your video right now.
But
How old is your Silent Loop?
Where is pump in reference to ends of radiator?
When was last time you check coolant level?

Soldato
OP
It's coming up to 2 years old but has rattled in some way from about 5 months old. The radiator is mounted at the top of the case (Corsair Air 540) with the pump directly underneath. The pipes aren't under any strain or pressure at all.

I checked the coolant level just the other week. I've just upgraded this machine so while it was all apart I spent some time trying to bleed the system. I ran the cooler on the bench for a day with the port open to try and get as much air out as possible.

Back
Top Bottom