Raymond Lin's Wedding Thread of 2010

Caporegime
I have more than a handful of weddings this year. Just shot the first one last weekend and rather than starting a new thread every fortnight i thought I would consolidate them all into 1 thread. I will try and keep this thread updated as I go along. I might not post entire weddings in one go, instead of half a dozen randomly chosen ones that pops out of the collection or something that i find interesting as I go along so I apologise for may be some lack of order in some posts.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ditto!

Im second tog at a wedding this Saturday, really looking forward to it, any top tips Ray?

Apart from don't do the same shots the other guy is doing...

1 - Get you next memory card in your pocket ready.

2 - Pay attention to how many shots left. If you know the confetti shot is coming up and there is 10 shots left, change and write off those space on the card.

3 - Be nice to people, there will be lots of people grab you and ask to take a shot when you just want to do candids. Just do it anyway, if its good, keep it, if not, bin it. Shoot, smile and move on. Besides, the bride likes those...they are Facebook like, but better lol I actually got a couple of nice ones from that.

4 - Don't get sucked into the atmosphere. If you are laughing at the speeches meaning you are MISSING the laughter that you should be photographing.

5 - Same as above, like Photo No.7 & 8 above, I should have really helped them (carry the dresses up the stairs and hold that mirror up), but then i would have missed it. See the moment, capture it, don't get involve.

6 - Watch your ISO ! The reception was in this marque and one side was black (disco), the other side was White. When I point the camera at the black background side I was over exposing, and when i point the camera at the white side i was under exposing. I really had to adjust the exposure compensation on the fly constantly. Same as moving in between outdoor and indoors. If you have Auto ISO, use it, but watch your shutter speed, as Canon uses 1/focal length.

7 - Details, Details, Details. If the bride had the idea of putting pedals on the table or ribbons in benches then photograph it.

& Hydrate whenever you can !

Soldato
Thank you Ray, tips duly noted!

Will hopefully post some of my efforts for you to see. (I wont post if they are all shockers)

You are one of the main reasons i have pursued getting a wedding gig (as your photo's have inspired me), all be it a very lowly paid second tog, but you got to start somewhere ..right? :)

Soldato
Number 15 is brilliant! Definitely the evening party atmosphere, with the posing buds, the drinking man on the dance floor and the seduction on the right :)

Great as usual!

Soldato
7 - Details, Details, Details. If the bride had the idea of putting pedals on the table or ribbons in benches then photograph it.

cycling entusiast? :p

Excellent shots as always and I'm sure the bride and groom (and family members) will be more than happy with the images you produce on the day.

On a small note, the woman applying the makeup to the bride in pic 2 has freakishly large feet :eek:

Soldato
A lot of us who post on here are -- no matter how much kit we have or practice and advice we get -- just glorified snappers. I know I am. :) But it's always a pleasure to see a real photographer at work.

Some would say anyone can do it if they put their mind to it, but I've always felt that's not true in *any* field, especially photography, and particularly wedding photography which is about a tough an assignment as anyone can ever take on. It requires such a range of skills and instinct to get right.

Great work Raymond.

Now, you'll have to excuse me. I have to go stand in the corner with my fingers in my ears going "la, la, la, la, la..." until I re-forget my one attempt at doing a wedding. It was over 20 years ago but... <shudder> :)

Andrew McP

Caporegime
I find the brightness of the window behind really distracting in 2 and 3 but otherwise very nice. As said 15 is excellent, I'd be more than happy to have had shots like that from the photgrapher on my wedding day.

Is the corner darkness in some of the shots intentional as in a feature of that lens or did you add it PP.

Back
Top Bottom