Raymond's wedding photos, travels and other musings.

Caporegime
OP
I need post more pics...shot 3 weddings, been to 3 european cities since November !

From yesterday.

1yP6JRi.jpg

Caporegime
OP
They actually didn't want any morning photos, I had to convince them otherwise, some people are like that. They just think they don't look great without make up and don't want photos in the morning. I usually say it is the start of the story and it's the beginning of the day so it bookends the whole story when you look back at the photos.

I end up travelling between the 2 locations, 10mins drive. Although the time they asked me to arrive after the make up was done, but I had time with them and the respective friends, family and dress shots in each.

Caporegime
OP
We've got one coming up, I probably need to update my contract and questionnaire so that it doesn't say bride & groom!

Embarrassing moment coming up.

When one of the bride contacted me about her wedding, naturally I answered her email, sent her a pdf with packages information and a standard draft contract. Which states Bride and Groom.

It did not click with me until she sent it back crossed out the reference to Groom in the contract. Although I had no idea up until that point.

Caporegime
OP
:eek: wow.

Why do you find it frustrating if those wish to hide behind others? Just wondering as it sounds like me :D

Because the purpose of the group shot is to have everybody in the photo. It is a momento to the couple. I feel like I am not doing my job right if I missed someone, be it if they have gone to the loo or the bar.

So it is especially frustrating that they are actually there but hiding behind someone. They shouldn't be concerned about not looking great in the camera either because i am so far away too.

Caporegime
OP
From last weekend

aWShAKB.jpg

Wow those Prague shots are fantastic!

It's a very photogenic city, feels like something out of Snow White.

Raymond do you have a blog/site?

Lovely photo's.

I can't tell you (forum rules), but my name in google gives it away somewhat, in the middle of building a new site to has main site and blog in one so the blog side has been neglected somewhat. My Facebook page is much more up to date though.

Is that a roadworks triangle I can see in the far left archway? :confused:

:p

Oops...I actually put that inside there, was outside before ! Will PS it out.

Caporegime
OP
Hey Ray,

On a related note, how do you handle when people simple won't interact with you?

The example I have was at a family wedding on round tables - On most tables, the person who had their back to me would turn around however I found one table where they guy simply refused to turn, look towards or well, do anything bar eat (this was after being badgered by his wife).

So at that point, do you just take the shot with them facing away etc?

I prefer if they don't notice me and keep talking and get the more natural shots. Try catch them during speeches, get low, on your knees and shoot over people's shoulders/chairs/table decor etc for framing with something like a 85mm.

xbi4VlS.jpg

07baqjV.jpg

tvt1K8C.jpg

Generally, sometimes people who see me and either

A - the traditional pose and smile. And this is very important, always say "Thank You" afterwards.

cHqhlnv.jpg

NMDWqGB.jpg

sgECtHh.jpg

DCdJwk0.jpg

:p

B - the fun pose and smile

oK0NIVJ.jpg

A4lJp0N.jpg

C - do something a little random

lxozRal.jpg

gOTu2no.jpg

Or.....cheat, catch them at a selfie moment! (or when they are posing for each other)

RbXzXG4.jpg

pPqSYRF.jpg

NcOHNDt.jpg

ktaA6ou.jpg

WJ5P1Ij.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
mrk is correct that all photos are processed, 100% in LR, very few goes through PS.

This one did but I am not saying why :p

DXEfGUA.jpg

Re dance floor shots. They are from different weddings, some of those did have speedlites off camera, usually I have 2 (I want 3 or even 4 ideally). The one by the speaker is one of them. They work well in the right space, especially if the DJ don't have good lighting equipment to create atmosphere.

Caporegime
OP
Always shoot in RAW, it is the first thing I do when I get a new camera.

The only jpeg I shoot is on my phone! :D

The one on the grass is sun set and the sun is over and behind the kids so the sky was a giant light box at the time with no harsh shadows.

It was the same time as these were taken.

visPLON.jpg

FSm7zrH.jpg

p.s. I shot my first 5 weddings for free and then 2 weddings for £500 in the beginning. This was from the very very first of the freebies.

Canon 30D, Tamron 17-50/2.8

Fc4YW6J.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
How do you find the 85mm for portraits? I have the 24-70 II and the 70-200 2.8 IS II, as much as I like the 24-70 I do love prime lenses...

It's amazing. It is pretty much the de facto portrait lens, for me.

0HmE3cf.jpg

I don't use the 24-70 much these days, I don't even have the 70-200 II.

Although I quite like the Sigma 50A quite a lot these days.

tyd40XQ.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom