• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raytracing is here and in Battlefield 5 - Show your performance RTX users

Caporegime
OP
I think you have picked the worst part of the game to showcase RTX On lol They is very little reflection in any of this. You need a section of game with Windows and water puddles etc.
Won't argue with that. I just went with the first part to see what was what but not really showing much of anything lol. Not at work til 5pm tomorrow, so will have all day to play with it.

Soldato
Hmm, is it me or the reflection is wrong? How's possible to reflect on the train window right side something that is straight ahead and to the left?
This is "Ray Tracing in action", yet doesn't make sense. It should be reflecting something the right and behind the "eye"/player.

Except there is a 300x300 metres mirror bouncing the reflection to the train window..... But that could have double invert the image and the mirror should have been visible on the window.

Hell we had more realistic (positioning) reflections back in 1999.

comparison4-low.jpg

Caporegime
Hmm, is it me or the reflection is wrong? How's possible to reflect on the train window right side something that is straight ahead and to the left?
This is "Ray Tracing in action", yet doesn't make sense. It should be reflecting something the right and behind the "eye"/player.

Except there is a 300x300 metres mirror bouncing the reflection to the train window..... But that could have double invert the image.

comparison4-low.jpg

Love that screenshot text box "stop wining, buy another game". Presumably means whining. :p

Man of Honour
According to DICE "reflection" angles, Duke should be looking the tiles and sinks reflecting not himself.

The way they did it though with portals is very restrictive and trying to do it to anything other than a rectangular flat surface would have all fallen apart - Quake 3 had a slightly uprated version of that and the Unreal engine could do mirror portals - but they can only do a limited number of instances under limited circumstances at a time.

Soldato
The way they did it though with portals is very restrictive and trying to do it to anything other than a rectangular flat surface would have all fallen apart - Quake 3 had a slightly uprated version of that and the Unreal engine could do mirror portals - but they can only do a limited number of instances under limited circumstances at a time.

True, but they didn't reflect the wrong angles and textures.

On the BF5 screenshot above it is the wrong image reflecting using Ray tracing, and ray tracing you know well, it works by reflecting light in straight lines.
So clearly here we have a gimmick and not true ray tracing.

Man of Honour
Without seeing more of the scene I don't know - I'm not familiar enough with the map to know if there is another similar building with the same signage, etc. that it might be reflecting - if it is the building directly behind it would have to be being rendered significantly on the other side of the building as it has frontage not at all visible.

Soldato
Btw Guru3d run benchmarks with 9900K.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/battlefield-v-raytracing-features-are-now-enabled,7.html

RTX2080 and especially RTX2070 look really bad

Without seeing more of the scene I don't know - I'm not familiar enough with the map to know if there is another similar building with the same signage, etc. that it might be reflecting - if it is the building directly behind it would have to be being rendered significantly on the other side of the building as it has frontage not at all visible.

Even if it had a building, it should reflect the building on the back, not the one in the front left. The only way to reflect that was is only if a huge mirror was placed few dozen metres behind the eye/player.

Man of Honour
Even if it had a building, it should reflect the building on the back, not the one in the front left. The only way to reflect that was is only if a huge mirror was placed few dozen metres behind the eye/player.

XkkHLqZ.jpg

Scene from further back (slightly older version of the map but I think it is the same spot) - notice the red drapes/flags in the reflection and the position to the building on the right with the same sign - I'm afraid the reflection is correct.

Soldato
XkkHLqZ.jpg

Scene from further back (slightly older version of the map but I think it is the same spot) - notice the red drapes/flags in the reflection and the position to the building on the right with the same sign - I'm afraid the reflection is correct.

Yeah, I see it now. Those lazy ....... used the same advertisement post on both. And yes they have changed the scene, as both the second houses (is reflected above) have something protruding near the top of it on both blocks. Lazy designers -_-

Cheers mate :D

Soldato
I think you have picked the worst part of the game to showcase RTX On lol They is very little reflection in any of this. You need a section of game with Windows and water puddles etc.
I agree. To me, everything looked like it was made out of reflective plastic. If you pause the video at 1:56, you can see even the guy's shirt looks like it's made out of plastic. I'm really disappointed :/

Man of Honour
Like 3d movies, I think we're going to see games done better than others in regards to RT.

We need that one developer that does it really well to show how it should be done :s unfortunately most of those have gone a bit hands off the industry over the last 2-3 years :(

V F

V F

Soldato
We need that one developer that does it really well to show how it should be done :s unfortunately most of those have gone a bit hands off the industry over the last 2-3 years :(

I wish they would stop faffing about with pointless stuff like this. I'd rather see more realistic character animation/physics as well as character to water interaction physics. Look at Rise of the Tomb Raider, still no decent character to water effects. No water ripples, no huge splashes and water particles.

I really want to see physics that would truly resemble real life. Animations are really good today but still not good enough. Not realistic enough. Hair and skin still isn't realistic enough.

Caporegime
No I care cause its future of graphic rendering.
Quite, it’s a technology for the future and released far far too early from what I’m seeing.

It’s just a bit of gloss - literally - to help the 20xx series which otherwise is hardly a huge jump from the 10xx series except in price of course.

The price/performance of these is laughable I’m afraid.

Permabanned
Some performance numbers.
To be fair, I think Jenson was clear about the performance on launch. These are still good professional / development cards.

Soldato
unless there is a Jesus patch to improve things this is telling me i made the right call saving the £600 and cancelling my 2080ti and going for a 1080ti.

RTX is the future, but i think for me a 2180ti (or what ever they call it) is the card i will going all in for (or amd equivalent but i am not sure what would be the bigger hail mary, a top end card from AMD or a jesus patch for RTX on 20xx cards :D

Back
Top Bottom