• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raytracing is here and in Battlefield 5 - Show your performance RTX users

Soldato
Some performance numbers.
To be fair, I think Jenson was clear about the performance on launch. These are still good professional / development cards.

It just works:p

That is terrible performance numbers for RTX, if he did not direct all focus onto RTX then many would not feed disappointed, unfortunately their expectations was fanned by "it just works" :D

To get acceptable 4k numbers, Nvidia would have to have a GPU with 3x-4x the area dedicated just to RTX.

Associate
Some performance numbers.
To be fair, I think Jenson was clear about the performance on launch. These are still good professional / development cards.
Sounds like from this review that there are simply not enough rt cores in the rtx range and that the cuda cores are not actually being utilised 100% when dxr ultra is switched on. Another bottleneck to worry about.

Soldato
It just works:p

That is terrible performance numbers for RTX, if he did not direct all focus onto RTX then many would not feed disappointed, unfortunately their expectations was fanned by "it just works" :D

To get acceptable 4k numbers, Nvidia would have to have a GPU with 3x-4x the area dedicated just to RTX.
It just works 3X slower :p

Soldato
I wonder if there will be any lawsuits on false advertising, i could imagine some would try and return cards on such premise.

jensen should adopt the moto

"it jut about works" :D

Don
Not sure how many times people need warning. Again this thread was created to compare performance, not for the same people to post the same boring rubbish. There is another thread for that.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
@Gregster what are your impressions with RTX on and off? Which will you be playing with?

Can you do a few picture with it on and off on the exact scene for us? So far everyone seems to be disappointed from what I can see :(

Caporegime
OP
Not sure how many times people need warning. Again this thread was created to compare performance, not for the same people to post the same boring rubbish. There is another thread for that.
Thanks Stanners. Whilst I appreciate people have angry views about the RTX cards, this thread wasn't created for those guys and more so for us with RTX cards or those interested in them and the tech.

Associate

Indeed. Just let the people that have bought these cards enjoy them. We've had enough crap posts in the CPU section of these forums because of the 9th gen Intel release. And now the same is happening here.

Trying to post the same point all the time gets boring fast guys.

Anyway on with the show ...

Caporegime
OP
@Gregster what are your impressions with RTX on and off? Which will you be playing with?

Can you do a few picture with it on and off on the exact scene for us? So far everyone seems to be disappointed from what I can see :(
At present, I can see a benefit with it on and fluid movements make it better but realistically, a twitch shooter isn't the best scenario to be looking at the gfx. DX11 is a lot faster and there is occasional split second freezes with DX12. I will do some Screens when I feel it is worth it bud.

Soldato
At present, I can see a benefit with it on and fluid movements make it better but realistically, a twitch shooter isn't the best scenario to be looking at the gfx. DX11 is a lot faster and there is occasional split second freezes with DX12. I will do some Screens when I feel it is worth it bud.

Agreed while RTX had me looking at all the nice reflections on cars and windows and such. It does look pretty darn good.

For a fps shooter it’s not really on your mind as to how good everything looks. I’d much rather have the performance of dx11 than the visuals of RTX on a game like this.

Would be nice if it’s patched in with dlss and tuned so it looks notably better but also performs about the same. And same story with DX12, still needs a massive upgrade, always had stutters and performance issues.

Couple years down the line I can see RTX being something everyone will be using. But just too much of a performance drop at the minute. I was at around 144-165fps to 70-90ish with RTX on.

I’m still happy as it is a damn powerful card and will get plenty of use. But I don’t think nvidia should have forced it just yet. Rather next gen with a good amount more research into the tech where it can actually be fully implemented and usable.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Thanks gregster. I hope they can at least double the Rtx performance in the 7nm cards, as I would need at least that to enjoy rtx at 4K in single player games.

But it does seem like it is going to take a long time for this tech to get where it needs to be. I really hope now that devs have working hardware they can develop techniques to get more out of the hardware. Otherwise with a lack of room left to shrink transistors, it will be a long time until we get full games that look better than traditional looking games using ray tracing.

Will be interesting to see if Cyberpunk 2077 makes use of it in any shape or form. At least they have a year or so to implement it into their game compared with Battlefield which did not get much time.

Soldato
Ray tracing is the future of gaming, but this shows that Ray tracing is far from ready for gaming today. They are only using RT for a few things, depending on level selected, like water/windows/gun reflections etc and performance is reduced by 2/3's @ 1080p! This for a card that is well over £1k, it's not ready for prime time.

I bet, if the developers tried they could get a frame rates well into the single figures, i.e. a order of magnitude reduction in frame rates, by RT-ing a lot more effects still at 1080p. What this tells me is that, unless NVidia improves massively for the next generation, RT is not viable for the next-gen either. I'd rather game with usable frame rates at 4k with RT off rather than unusable frame rates at 1080p with RT on.

This generation will not last long, NVidia know that they need to improve the RT ability for the next-gen if they are going to continue to push it. 7nm will help, but I don't think TSMC are ready to produce a chip will be in the order of 700-800mm2 - even with a 2 fold improvement it's still not enough to make it usable full scene even at 1080p.

Games are going to look beautiful in five or so years when RT-ing is going to be usable full scene, but we are not there yet..

Caporegime
OP
Agreed while RTX had me looking at all the nice reflections on cars and windows and such. It does look pretty darn good.

For a fps shooter it’s not really on your mind as to how good everything looks. I’d much rather have the performance of dx11 than the visuals of RTX on a game like this.

Would be nice if it’s patched in with dlss and tuned so it looks notably better but also performs about the same. And same story with DX12, still needs a massive upgrade, always had stutters and performance issues.

Couple years down the line I can see RTX being something everyone will be using. But just too much of a performance drop at the minute. I was at around 144-165fps to 70-90ish with RTX on.

I’m still happy as it is a damn powerful card and will get plenty of use. But I don’t think nvidia should have forced it just yet. Rather next gen with a good amount more research into the tech where it can actually be fully implemented and usable.

It really does look good and not as bad performance wise as I was expecting (especially at 3440x1440) and even on low settings, it runs acceptably, whilst I am really hard pushed to see the difference between max and low in truth. I did a couple of screens but was way out of allignment but it looked sweet with flames in the puddle). I am actually really pleased with how it copes but DX12 needs a patch I am assuming, as my 3rd core on my CPU is pegged pretty much at 100% whilst all the other cores are coping just fine. At least with low RTX, frames are playable at least and I certainly wasn't expecting that at my resolution.

Thanks gregster. I hope they can at least double the Rtx performance in the 7nm cards, as I would need at least that to enjoy rtx at 4K in single player games.

But it does seem like it is going to take a long time for this tech to get where it needs to be. I really hope now that devs have working hardware they can develop techniques to get more out of the hardware. Otherwise with a lack of room left to shrink transistors, it will be a long time until we get full games that look better than traditional looking games using ray tracing.

Will be interesting to see if Cyberpunk 2077 makes use of it in any shape or form. At least they have a year or so to implement it into their game compared with Battlefield which did not get much time.

Yer, truthfully, it does need more performance and whilst at present it is acceptable for me, MP it really isn't and SP is the only real time it is worth having it on. SP will consist of DX11 only for now but if and when performance gets improved, I will love putting DX12 back on and as I suck at MP games, standing admiring the scenery whilst getting mown down isn't a bad thing :D

Ray tracing is the future of gaming, but this shows that Ray tracing is far from ready for gaming today. They are only using RT for a few things, depending on level selected, like water/windows/gun reflections etc and performance is reduced by 2/3's @ 1080p! This for a card that is well over £1k, it's not ready for prime time.

I bet, if the developers tried they could get a frame rates well into the single figures, i.e. a order of magnitude reduction in frame rates, by RT-ing a lot more effects still at 1080p. What this tells me is that, unless NVidia improves massively for the next generation, RT is not viable for the next-gen either. I'd rather game with usable frame rates at 4k with RT off rather than unusable frame rates at 1080p with RT on.

This generation will not last long, NVidia know that they need to improve the RT ability for the next-gen if they are going to continue to push it. 7nm will help, but I don't think TSMC are ready to produce a chip will be in the order of 700-800mm2 - even with a 2 fold improvement it's still not enough to make it usable full scene even at 1080p.

Games are going to look beautiful in five or so years when RT-ing is going to be usable full scene, but we are not there yet..

RT is the future bud but like tessellation, it has to start somewhere. I can go back many many years and the likes of parralax (no idea how you spell it) scrolling was amazing to see for the first time. All new techs come with some issues but the more it gets used, the better it will become. It is easier for devs to use also, which must be a real plus for development of games and it does look good, even in this early stage.

Soldato
It really does look good and not as bad performance wise as I was expecting (especially at 3440x1440) and even on low settings, it runs acceptably, whilst I am really hard pushed to see the difference between max and low in truth. I did a couple of screens but was way out of allignment but it looked sweet with flames in the puddle). I am actually really pleased with how it copes but DX12 needs a patch I am assuming, as my 3rd core on my CPU is pegged pretty much at 100% whilst all the other cores are coping just fine. At least with low RTX, frames are playable at least and I certainly wasn't expecting that at my resolution.

Still early days I guess yet and some tuning needed on both RTX and dx12.

I’ve only tested it with the on preset. Didn’t realise there was a low/high. Will test some more later on as I have only briefly tested it as of yet.

Caporegime
OP
I'm getting zero FPS on my RTX2080, as I don't own BFV and won't be installing the October update until it's matured enough to be safe :p
Haha, fair one. I didn't really want it either but knowing it had RT, forced me and in fairness, I did the Origin Premier for 90 squid, which gives me loads and loads of games for a year and I have every intention of grabbing Anthem when it comes out, so happy days.

Caporegime
OP
Currently processing but here is a 64 player Rotterdam match with everything maxed except RT, which is on low and all at 3440x1440. Sure frames could well be more and without RT, they certainly are but it is gorgeous.

Wait till it encodes fully, so you can see how I die with ease in all its glory :D

Back
Top Bottom