Razer Megalodon

Associate
I think that's the point though. No one has tried them yet.

But they're expensive, especially for a headset. So given the track record of general headsets vs. stereo headphones, it's risky money. I don't think anyone is saying "they're crap, there's no way they'll be good". Just that given the history it's unlikely they'll be better than an equivalent pair of headphones, so just be careful with pre-ordering them.

I'm not much of an audiophile to be honest -just paraphrasing what I've read here.

Associate
I think that's the point though. No one has tried them yet.

But they're expensive, especially for a headset. So given the track record of general headsets vs. stereo headphones, it's risky money. I don't think anyone is saying "they're crap, there's no way they'll be good". Just that given the history it's unlikely they'll be better than an equivalent pair of headphones, so just be careful with pre-ordering them.

I'm not much of an audiophile to be honest -just paraphrasing what I've read here.

Well said m8!

Soldato
Give it a rest -Ad-. Unless you've actually tried the Razer headphone in question, you might as well be talking out your rear end..

I may be, but going by every headset I have tried it is safe to say these arn't going to buck the trend.

I'm speaking from experience here, not making stuff up because I'm anti-razer. I would advise you go and listen to as many headphones and headsets as possible, and after comparison between headsets, you will be amazed at how they batter most headsets into the ground for a lot less money.

If yo don't want to take my advise then just pre-order these and enjoy them when you get them, but be in the knowledge you will have been able to buy a lot better for less cash.

I'm not saying you're wrong but at the end of the day you've not even tried them yet you say £30 headphones will sound better. And how do you know the OP has no experience in this area?

As he is clearly interest in this overpriced headset ;)

Associate
I have a pair - they are very good in 7.1 however currently having sound dropping problems when in game or using vent with windows7 build 7100.
I would like to recommend them but they are unsuable at the moment for me.

Soldato
If you go to Razer's website and click on Maelstrom Audio engine, you can have a listen to the surround effect they use with any set of stereo headphones. (make sure you're not using any dsps etc)

http://www2.razerzone.com/Megalodon/

In short - it's not bad so long as stuff isn't directly in front or behind you. If that's the case, it's not very good. Otherwise, directional sound is pretty clear.

Not a patch on Dolby Headphone on the Xonar IMO. The directional aspect reminds me of the X-Fi's CMSS-3D headphone but you get full EAX with an X-Fi.

In short, nowhere near as good as a decent soundcard. Nice of them to let you try the effect before spending silly money on an overpriced headset though. All that bumf about figher pilots is worth a quick read for amusement value though. ;)

Associate
LOL

There isn't a hope in hells chance these will outdo a decent set of Hi Fi cans....none, nada, zilch!!

I converted to Grado's for my gaming some time ago and even the lower end models costing less than 'gaming' headsets batter them senseless.

I am now onto some SR325i's and would never look back. Some have issues with comfort but for me they sit well on my head for 6 hours or more.

It would be a cool idea however if you do not have a decent sound card to buy the Megalodons and cut the cable where they meet the cans and retrofit a 3.5 jack so that you can plug some decent cans in.....or just buy an ASUS or X-Fi card to go with some fairly decent cans (SR-80's or HD595's)

Back
Top Bottom