• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Real power draw of a PC, results from my own PC

Soldato
Hey guys, I'm a bit confused? :o

Can someone explain what the Zalman does differently from the standard energy-brick thingie? :D

I didn't really factor in the PSU's efficiency when looking at my results. I suppose if I swap out PSU's without changing any other hardware it may become more apparent . . i.e If I change for a more efficient PSU my wattage readings should drop.

I mentioned in the past that there is space in the market now for more low powered PSU's. Most of the big brands don't offer much choice at the lower wattage end, the best choice I could find was the Antec Earthwatts 380. I wouldn't mind trying those newer Enermax Modu units either, in the end I let my wallet decide and paid roughly £31 which is a novel amount to pay for a new PSU that is overkill for your needs!

One last question, in theory what is the maximum efficiency a PSU can obtain?

Man of Honour
Hey guys, I'm a bit confused? :o

Can someone explain what the Zalman does differently from the standard energy-brick thingie? :D

I didn't really factor in the PSU's efficiency when looking at my results. I suppose if I swap out PSU's without changing any other hardware it may become more apparent . . i.e If I change for a more efficient PSU my wattage readings should drop.

I mentioned in the past that there is space in the market now for more low powered PSU's. Most of the big brands don't offer much choice at the lower wattage end, the best choice I could find was the Antec Earthwatts 380. I wouldn't mind trying those newer Enermax Modu units either, in the end I let my wallet decide and paid roughly £31 which is a novel amount to pay for a new PSU that is overkill for your needs!

One last question, in theory what is the maximum efficiency a PSU can obtain?

Yes it does. I went from a crappy old 500w Winpower, somewhere around 70% efficiency if i was lucky, to a 385w Enermax Pro 82+ which is up to 90% at 50% load and has a low of 84%. These are the same as the Modu 82+ but the cables are hardwired. According to the Zalman, the Winpower was drawing 104w idle and 187w while gaming. This dropped to 85w idle and 158w while gaming. This is in my second rig not the one in siggy. These new Enermax units are fantastic. Good quality, quiet, efficient, excellent selection of cables and reasonably cheap. I only paid £36 for mine so was well pleased. I completely agree with you about the low end psu market. A lot of it is down to the retailer and what they stock. I have found several retailers that has a 650w psu as the lowest one that they sell. This is ridiculous as this thread has proven that even 500w psu's are rarely needed.

Wayne, any chance you could have a look in this thread please? The poor chap is new and wants to know about the Asus m-atx boards. You seem to be clued up on them so can you point him in the right direction please? ;)

Soldato
i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz 1.32v
ASUS P6T Deluxe Palm Edition.
6 GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz RAM.
GTX 260 - 216 eVGA.
1 x 300GB Raptor
1 x 1TB WD Black
1 x 1TB Samsung F1
2 Case fans
Wirless mouse + Wifi Card.

PSU Enermax MODU82+ 625 Watts.

Idle = 150 Watts.
Load = 250 Watts (Prime 95 - 8 cores)

Busting the myth of 1000 watts PSUs !

But your Video card is not being stressed at all running just prime 95, in fact it will be running in 2d mode at a much reduced clock, memory and shader speed. :confused: Admittedly you still won't be needing a 1000 watt psu, but I don't think I'd like to be running it on much less than you have already.

Last edited:
Soldato
interesting read.

always known that 1kw were complete overkill, but I got my 1kw Corsair new for £140 - I just couldn't let that deal pass me by ;) eventhough i was looking for a 750w to allow me room for a second 4870x2 and the newer 8pin PCI-E connectors. Anyway the PSU only use the pwr required so doesn't waste any more energy than a lower wattage PSU would

PS i do waste more energy lifting my case

Last edited:
Man of Honour
interesting read.

always known that 1kw were complete overkill, but I got my 1kw Corsair new for £140 - I just couldn't let that deal pass me by ;) eventhough i was looking for a 750w to allow me room for a second 4870x2 and the newer 8pin PCI-E connectors. Anyway the PSU only use the pwr required so doesn't waste any more energy than a lower wattage PSU would

PS i do waste more energy lifting my case

But the efficiency won't be as good. Mine's pretty good whatever the loading as it has a minimum efficiency of 82% with 100w load. I am only using around a third of the psu's capacity so efficiency is around 86%. It has a peak efficiency of 88% at 400w. Other psu's may not be as good. Especially if they are a couple of years old when 75% was the norm.

Associate
Have another machine.
Intel E2200 At stock
4x8800GS
2 TB Hdd's
DvD drive
Antect 1200 with 6 Fans + 1 more fan i added.
CPU has a fan on it.

Under full load it uses 500Watts. Thats all 4 cards and CPU maxed.
Using a Seasonic 650watt.

Associate
But your Video card is not being stressed at all running just prime 95, in fact it will be running in 2d mode at a much reduced clock, memory and shader speed. :confused: Admittedly you still won't be needing a 1000 watt psu, but I don't think I'd like to be running it on much less than you have already.

Well I just did another test this time I had BOTH Prime 95 with 8 cores/threads in blend AND 3DMark2k1 going at the same time. It peaked at 399w.

Unlikely someone would be doing both tasks at the same time, still well within a 625w PSUs ability.

Soldato
OP
Well I've ordered a Geforce 9800 GTX+. £130 new and it's the 55nm model. I'll see how it compares to my year old 8800GT on idle and under load. I expect it will draw more at idle, but it could be quite similar under load despite the extra performance.

Associate
Yes
3 of them are Asus 8800GS TOP.
1 is an XfX 8800GS which is a great card. Clocks more then the Asus.

Just google this board. Its old now but works.
MSI P6N Diamond, nForce-680i SLI, ATX,S-775,X-Fi Xtreme7.1,4xPCI-Ex16.

ah I see now >>>>>;)
13-130-080-14.jpg

Will this take 4 GTX295's? (j/k - sort of)! OCT SLI!!

Last edited:
Associate
Mine motherboard is fanless. Dont have that black fan just beside the CPU socket.

No idea if you could fit 4xGTX295.
I would say yeah they will fit into the board. But will they all work... i dont know.
Is their a limit on the amount of GPU's a video card can have ?
In this case it would be like 8.

Man of Honour
Have another machine.
Intel E2200 At stock
4x8800GS
2 TB Hdd's
DvD drive
Antect 1200 with 6 Fans + 1 more fan i added.
CPU has a fan on it.

Under full load it uses 500Watts. Thats all 4 cards and CPU maxed.
Using a Seasonic 650watt.

The cpu is way under powered for quad sli isnt it? 680i mobo and four 8800GS with a E2200. It's even at stock!! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom