• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Reasons for deciding on Intel or AMD

Soldato
Do people take company lines or do people buy based on needs (gamer, content creator, etc).

During Covid I spent a lot to game and went AMD but now I am thinking of upgrading again.

New AMD or new Intel.

Anyone got a preference ?

I've owned both.

AMD offer AM socket which lasts longer, so you can drop in a newer generation chip several years down the line. Intel change socket more often so that shiny new generation CPU will require a new motherboard and memory.
The models I looked at, the AMD offer lower power usage, for laptop and desktop (15W and 65W respectively)
For integrated graphics, the AMD graphics chip was much better (also a much better control panel)
AMD offer better value for money.

The New X3D chips look superb for gaming, although too expensive - I'll wait until they come down in price, newer generation etc

I just bought a 650E motherboard/Ryzen 7 7700 to replace a Intel Xeon 5670/X58 system

Last edited:
Like others, I go with whoever provides the best performance\price for the budget I have.

AMD will give you more life from a system with the AM5 system due to new processors still working on older systems but Intel tend to kill off the socket after 2 gens released on it.

What's your current system specs? you maybe able to just get away with a processor upgrade and do you use the system for anything else apart from gaming?

Most of my usage is gaming, I've always gone with Intel since Pentium 4 days, but my next upgrade (several years away yet) will likely see me switch to AMD for the superior performance per £.

budget is a big part, and what you do is the biggest. its not as easy as AMD or intel.

do you use the system for anything else apart from gaming?
This is the important question, do you stream, run capture software and ever VM's for some games

but my next upgrade (several years away yet) will likely see me switch to AMD for the superior performance per £.
you cant say that now if you looking to upgrade in several years

Last edited:
I preferred Cyrix but yeah....thats all history!

On a serious note, I also have both Intel and AMD. 14900KS in my main system (bad idea as we now know!) with RTX 4090 and 7950x3d with RX 7900 XTX in my 2nd gaming PC.

Which ever gives me the best gaming performance combined with GPU, thats what I like to go for.

Only disadvantage, my wallet takes a beating sometimes.

Last edited:
This is the important question, do you stream, run capture software and ever VM's for some games
None of those. If I were to stream, I would buy a second machine and use that to capture output from the main PC.

you cant say that now if you looking to upgrade in several years

I regret buying Intel for my last build, AMD were already ahead in performance per £ but I was stuck in my ways of buying Intel. It's more than likely that AMD will remain ahead in terms of performance per £ for many years to come. Also the X3D layered level 3 cache has large benefits in some specific games I play (e.g. factorio with huge bases) so I want that in my life as soon as I can justify a new PC.

Last edited:
Not sure how true this is but has been my perception.

Intel: all rounder with pricing premium
- less fussy with RAM overclocking
- hotter / more power consumption
- slightly more expensive
- premium models have tended to be hot, expensive but best performance

AMD: cheaper / quirky
- cheaper
- relatively fussy with RAM
- X3D cpus have recently dominated for gaming performance over intel

Not much in it though.

Like others have said, I buy the best performance for my budget whether it's AMD or Intel. Last 2 CPU's I have bought were AMD and the next one will be a AMD X3D chip. Before that I had Intel Sandybridge, the same go's for graphics cards too.

I have an AMD 5900x on the AM4 platform and Intel 13700k on the Z690.

I think it's something to do with how Intel handles memory better, but the Intel was far more stable in everyday usage than the AMD was. I also had some weird windows desktop lagging on the AMD when memory timings were really optimised.

Last edited:
I never buy the best myself, I just buy better than what I have already. I have no requirement for 16 core so 12 or 8 is fine for example.

GPU is interesting as Nvidia's pricing seems to say a lot. 4090 is for the money people

Not sure how true this is but has been my perception.

Intel: all rounder with pricing premium
- less fussy with RAM overclocking
- hotter / more power consumption
- slightly more expensive
- premium models have tended to be hot, expensive but best performance

AMD: cheaper / quirky
- cheaper
- relatively fussy with RAM
- X3D cpus have recently dominated for gaming performance over intel

Not much in it though.

That is generally what the reviews say, the reality is a bit more nuanced depending a bit on what people do.

AMD CPUs tend to be more power efficient under heavy load conditions, Intel CPUs more efficient in lower load conditions* especially when they can put the E cores to one of their intended uses and park the P cores. Power consumption at the wall rather than CPU socket is less dramatically different to what the CPU socket difference would suggest also for gaming the power consumption in reviews is usually at 1080p low settings with a 4090, with the kind of settings people mostly use a 4090 for like 4K ultra, etc. the power consumption difference is much less, especially if using say a 7900 or 4080 series GPU instead of a 4090. So if you really care about power consumption which is best for you may not be so straightforward.

Likewise gaming performance - there is much less in it at 1440p or above with high or ultra settings, compared to the more stark difference at 1080p low settings - the X3D parts tend to be penalised a bit for non-gaming performance so it may in reality be better to look at other options if your usage isn't purely gaming and you aren't doing 1080p 360Hz gaming or something :s

AMD have recently bumped prices on some parts, so which is more expensive has been fluctuating recently.

13/14th gen are overshadowed by ongoing issues - but the reality of that so far seems lesser than the media has made it out to be - the 14900 parts are seeing somewhat elevated return levels but multiple sources show that to be in the region of 3% of CPUs affected, most of the lower models are fairly consistent with normal failure rates so far.RAD Game Tools who where one of the first to discover the issue and have wide exposure to it due to their tools being in a lot of games are still only seeing a small number of affected CPUs mostly 13900/14900s.

The LGA1700 platform is relatively meagre when it comes to things like PCI-e 5.0 provisioning and some other newer technologies/features so that may have a bearing for some people when buying - though IMO both platforms are likely to be rendered obsolete in that respect as a bunch of new standards/features are incoming like PCI-e 6.0, etc.

* In the context of the the main 7000 series / Intel 13th/14th gen desktops - if you want an ultra power efficient system where gaming isn't a consideration or a low consideration then that is a whole another story.

Last edited:
You have to consider what is the situation at the time and make a judgement, Intel were the clear choice up until recent years.

AM5 in my opinion is the clear choice these days, for now.

Intel really need to make a come big back with 15th and 16th Gen for me to consider them again.

Back
Top Bottom