Recomend me a 4K HDR android box

Associate
Has anyone had much experience with current android boxes? I currently have a Matricom G Box which was great for the past year until they updated it last November ruining a lot of its usefulness whenever I watch a movie the black letterbox bars are white this is the biggest problem, it will not switch off by the remote and also when it is on the home screen it now forces to show a big weather forecast in the middle with only allowing you to display in Fahrenheit not major but annoying none the less they have given no information on a stable release date just the only solution is to test out the beta for them but my box fails this each time.

So now it is time to swap to a new box I recently just purchased a 49" Samsung 4K HDR TV so would like one that can make use of this TV I stream a lot of my media via my PC to Kodi so something that makes use of 4K HDR and also allows surround sound pass through there is the amazon box but I don't want a box plastered in advertisements on the home screen or the new Nvidia Shield which looks great but I would never use for gaming.

Can anyone recommend me something else Thank you

Associate
OP
Just been doing research this looks a great box thanks nicknack35 there is a higher version the minix U9-H + you know about this ?

Associate
OP
From what I see the U9-H allows Dolby digital pass through the U1 allows surround pass through but not in Dolby it also runs marshamallow which allows the external SD card to install apps and allows playback of 10 bit 4K media raw performance not a lot of difference though for an extra £30 more

Associate
If you are stream from your PC to the Samsung 4K, why not use just use something like the Plex app on the TV? No need for any additional hardware and it's quite happy displaying 4K content.

Soldato
Soldato
If you are stream from your PC to the Samsung 4K, why not use just use something like the Plex app on the TV? No need for any additional hardware and it's quite happy displaying 4K content.
For high quality 4K content it usually buffers and lags so not really an option even via ethernet

Soldato
Obligatory Shield recommendation.

+2

By far the most powerful SoC in the Tegra X1, Android N, generally good update support, HD Audio format pass-through, Licence for Netflix 4K HDR and Amazon 4K HDR and also good as a game streamer for those with Nvidia graphics cards. I've tried most and always come back to the Shield TV.

Associate
Amazon 4k Fire TV.
This is what I use and I'm happy with it. I realise you said you didn't want the main screen plastered in ads but it's not that bad. It's only really ads for Prime Video (I do have Amazon prime so it might not bother me as much) but if it does annoy you can load up Kodi and never see them.

They're not badly priced at £80 and even better when Amazon has them on sale.

Associate
This is what I use and I'm happy with it. I realise you said you didn't want the main screen plastered in ads but it's not that bad. It's only really ads for Prime Video (I do have Amazon prime so it might not bother me as much) but if it does annoy you can load up Kodi and never see them.

They're not badly priced at £80 and even better when Amazon has them on sale.

I've had mine since they first come out, even though I'm a prime customer it gets used a hell of a lot more with kodi than Amazon.

Associate
I've had mine since they first come out, even though I'm a prime customer it gets used a hell of a lot more with kodi than Amazon.
I use Plex mainly and BBC iPlayer often as well.
My main reason I'd recommend Amazon TVs is I bought a good Android box, it was well specced and got good reviews, but the remote was awful. Amazon TVs remotes are loads better than what I originally used. I'm sure there are non Amazon android boxes come with decent remotes though :p

Associate
I use Plex mainly and BBC iPlayer often as well.
My main reason I'd recommend Amazon TVs is I bought a good Android box, it was well specced and got good reviews, but the remote was awful. Amazon TVs remotes are loads better than what I originally used. I'm sure there are non Amazon android boxes come with decent remotes though :p

Most of the ones I have set up for mates to use with kodi the remotes are useless, I have told them to buy a keyboard and for some reason they seem to work much better.

Soldato
For those recommending Amazon Fire TV Gen 2 the thread title is "Recomend me a 4K HDR android box", I've highlighted why the the Fire TV isn't a good recommendation ;)

Don't get me wrong the Fire TV is a great box :) but it's stuck at 4K30 max and no HDR as it's kiboshed by an HDMI 1.4 socket, there are rumours of a mid range Fire TV replacement based on Amlogic s905 that will do 4K60 and HDR but there has been no hard evidence of it.

Back
Top Bottom