Recommend a 3d modelling program

Soldato
I've been using FreeCad recently for some 3D CAD type stuff (In my head CAD is different to modelling - make sure you're clear about what you're actually doing and choose an appropriate tool) and found it pretty easy to pick up.

Soldato
blender has just gone through a massive update to the 2.8 version, if you do look into it, it's about1% the size of 3DS Max etc, and free, and there's thousands of intro/beginner tutes around. it's massively capable [built in render engines, compositor, full animation stuff etc etc] but you don't need to look into what you don't want to use. some great communities like blenderartists.com etc.

Soldato
OP
So everyone's clear on what I want to do:

• Recreate dimensions of watercooling gear
  • Recreate dimensions of PC components
  • Model a case for dimensions of scratch build
I don't need to faithfully recreate complex characters etc

Man of Honour

Ah. probably one of the free CAD solutions already recommended then. Blender will do it but will have a steep learning curve.

Soldato

I did similar using SketchUp and it was grand, there are loads of models there so you can import different motherboards, PSUs etc to check overall fitment.

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Fusion 360 or Blender definitely - use both, former is brilliant for parametric design - use for my 3d prints constantly and blender is great for graphics work.

Latter has had a history of being tricky to use, but it's it's last major release 2.8 is truly a huge step forward. Have used many others, eg 3dsmax for 20+ years and would put this above it now for the first time...

For your specific description, fusion 360 is perfect

Soldato
OP
PS if you start using blender, 3dsmax etc then you'll never look at PC specs again the same and items like this will suddenly look very attractive

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...3200mhz-quad-channel-kit-black-my-4cj-cs.html

;)

My days of lusting after hardware are over I'm afraid; 32gb will have to last me for the next decade :D

Appreciate everyone's input, thank you. For posterity, I'm downloading Fusion360 and I'll try it alongside SketchUp, I'll decide from there.

If something about the experience isn't satisfactory, I'll try Blender. Especially given @katie279 has good things to say about its latest release, and I'm a huge fan of OpenSource.

PC Building simulator, before you laugh have a look as it has workshop support and a load of mods on Nexus.

I'm not in the habit of laughing at anyone trying to be helpful, thanks mate. I don't have the funds to purchase a game at the moment, but it's certainly and interesting option if I struggle with the options provided.

Soldato
OP
So a quick update. I've been watching SolidWorks Tutorials and it instantly clicked with me, the controls made perfect sense, in stark contrast to SketchUp.

So thanks for the recommendations, I'm going to focus on SolidWorks and see how I get on, will update accordingly.

Question: From reading Project Logs on Bit Tech, it seems people model in one program, export it to a common file type, and then render it in another program which applies the textures, lighting etc.

Is this right?

From what I can tell there was some discussion between Keyshot and PhotoView. If this is the case, is this something I should be looking into? Or is it more of a natural progression when you want to make things pretty?

Soldato
OP
So a quick update. I've been watching SolidWorks Tutorials and it instantly clicked with me, the controls made perfect sense, in stark contrast to SketchUp.

So thanks for the recommendations, I'm going to focus on SolidWorks and see how I get on, will update accordingly.

Question: From reading Project Logs on Bit Tech, it seems people model in one program, export it to a common file type, and then render it in another program which applies the textures, lighting etc.

Is this right?

From what I can tell there was some discussion between Keyshot and PhotoView. If this is the case, is this something I should be looking into? Or is it more of a natural progression when you want to make things pretty?

I was being stupid here. I meant Fusion360!

Can anyone clarify on this rendering business?

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Yes, that's correct - fusion 360 leans towards modelling and simulation (cool stuff you can do in due course around simulating loads so you can see where stresses and weak points are).

Blender has a solid renderer if you want more photoreal looks - you can just export your model from 360 and import to a simple blender scene

Not saying you can do reasonable renders in 360, it's just not a geared towards it (bit like you can do tables of data in Word, but excel is much easier.... ;) )

Soldato
OP
Yes, that's correct - fusion 360 leans towards modelling and simulation (cool stuff you can do in due course around simulating loads so you can see where stresses and weak points are).

Blender has a solid renderer if you want more photoreal looks - you can just export your model from 360 and import to a simple blender scene

Not saying you can do reasonable renders in 360, it's just not a geared towards it (bit like you can do tables of data in Word, but excel is much easier.... ;) )

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Been watching more 360 tutorials and I'm sold. Going to get it setup and model something basic.

Another vote for fusion 360.
There is a guy on YouTube called Lars Christensen who produces so amazing tutorials.

I've been watching his content. Thanks for the recommendation; some of the best tutorial work I've ever seen, really excellent stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rather than start a new thread would Fusion 360 or Sketchup be recommended for designing some wood work projects? It looks a bit advanced when really I just want something to draw to scale and add measurements / angles etc.

Currently doing it in Illustrator but its not really designed for that.

Soldato
OP
Rather than start a new thread would Fusion 360 or Sketchup be recommended for designing some wood work projects? It looks a bit advanced when really I just want something to draw to scale and add measurements / angles etc.

Currently doing it in Illustrator but its not really designed for that.

I've found the 2d 'sketches' part of 360 to be excellent for drawings so far :)

Back
Top Bottom