Recommend an upgrade

Soldato
I already told you, Kef Reference.

Those iloud MTB go down to 50hz. That's not bad but still missing a fair amount, for movies especially.

These are desktop speakers not home theatre ... You have to be realistic too.

So you own Kef Ref speakers 1,2,3,4 , early 1970's model etc model number pls ? and what gear do you use to amp and what sources are you using ?

Last edited:
Soldato
A sub is still recommended, I've just added a good quality sub to near field system and it's helped a lot.

It depends, I use to run some Yamaha book shelfs along with a sub, and those Yamaha book shelfs really needed a sub. However my Prodipe 5 Pro honest don't.

Ignore the total mess, was still in process of rebuilding office, but this is my office setup.

Prodipe Pro 5's.
Asus Essense STX II.
Van Damme Lo-Cap 55's interconnects.
Russ Andrews 4TC power cable to each monitor,
Russ Andrews 8TC power cable to the computer.
Seasonic Titanium powering the computer / sound card, so very clean power.
Everything on it's own Tacima mains filter.

Sounds really really good, punches well above what you would think it should sound like. The limitation is the room acoustics.

Something not in that photo, are these small metal feet, there were under £15 for 8 from China. They did 2 things, 1 they lifted the speaker up to correct ear height, 2 they helped isolation and tightened up the sound.

Last edited:
Soldato
Still missing lacking in sub 55hz, so for movies won't have the same effect, 20hz on mine. Also improves dynamics by shifting LF/ULF from the standmount amplifier to the sub.

I see what your saying, and in every way it makes sense. However I'm totally happy without the sub on the Prodipes, I don't feel that i'm missing out.

Another reason I don't want the sub, it would mean running RCA cable from sound card to sub, then from sub to monitors, I don't want to increase any more background noise from longer cable runs. Balanced XLR that's different, but I'm running unbalanced from the sound card.

Soldato
I see what your saying, and in every way it makes sense. However I'm totally happy without the sub on the Prodipes, I don't feel that i'm missing out.

Another reason I don't want the sub, it would mean running RCA cable from sound card to sub, then from sub to monitors, I don't want to increase any more background noise from longer cable runs. Balanced XLR that's different, but I'm running unbalanced from the sound card.

I'm using a AVR, so that has bass management, time alignment etc. The better ones have full speaker and subwoofer room EQ. Using small 60hz for the speakers.

THe problem with active speakers is the lack of inputs, and configuration, also not having sub out, or high pass function part of it.

Ideally I'd use a AV pre amplifier to get around that, but those are very expensive.

PC and other sources to AV pre amp via HDMI, then XLR cables from AV pre amp to active speakers and active sub.

Soldato
I'm using a AVR, so that has bass management, time alignment etc. The better ones have full speaker and subwoofer room EQ. Using small 60hz for the speakers.

THe problem with active speakers is the lack of inputs, and configuration, also not having sub out, or high pass function part of it.

Ideally I'd use a AV pre amplifier to get around that, but those are very expensive.

PC and other sources to AV pre amp via HDMI, then XLR cables from AV pre amp to active speakers and active sub.

That's all more money however, in a perfect world I would have an expensive external DAC and run XLR.

My setup is all a little cobbled together, and lots of experimenting with things (the soundbar guys never dream of experimenting with anything!) , but it sounds very good with plenty of clarity. If I was to spend money it would be room treatment next, that's the limitation not the equipment.

One problem I have is i'm running triple screens, I would like the monitors (speakers) a little closer together, however I can't do it due to width of screens.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's all more money however, in a perfect world I would have an expensive external DAC and run XLR.

My setup is all a little cobbled together, and lots of experimenting with things, but it sounds very good with plenty of clarity. If I was to spend money it would be room treatment next, that's the limitation not the equipment.

Even with that, you don't have input and outputs.

A oldish but capable AVR isn't that expensive- and the features outweigh the cost.

How would you connect a BD player, a PS3, PS4, PS5, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox X, record player, tape deck, CD player, connect headphones, your speakers, a subwoofer or two, multi room, audio streamer, perform time alignment, room EQ, multi channel movie decoding/routing (especially atmos as PC don't do that) video streamer, and output video to a TV and projector?

A PC and active studio monitor speakers is ok if you have just one input. Some have a couple of inputs, but still not enough, and the ones that do- do they have remote control input selection (or front of speaker input switch) do they have multiple HDMI, analogue, coaxial and optical inputs? And not running a sub, or if you do through the PC- which again means one input only. If they do have a sub out, then how does that work, is there a master/slave connection where master speaker has sub out you then select whether this is on or off, and the speaker crossover is changed to match?

Soldato
Even with that, you don't have input and outputs.

A oldish but capable AVR isn't that expensive- and the features outweigh the cost.

How would you connect a BD player, a PS3, PS4, PS5, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox X, record player, tape deck, CD player, connect headphones, your speakers, a subwoofer or two, multi room, audio streamer, perform time alignment, room EQ, multi channel movie decoding/routing (especially atmos as PC don't do that) video streamer, and output video to a TV and projector?

A PC and active studio monitor speakers is ok if you have just one input. Some have a couple of inputs, but still not enough, and the ones that do- do they have remote control input selection (or front of speaker input switch) do they have multiple HDMI, analogue, coaxial and optical inputs? And not running a sub, or if you do through the PC- which again means one input only. If they do have a sub out, then how does that work, is there a master/slave connection where master speaker has sub out you then select whether this is on or off, and the speaker crossover is changed to match?

I have plenty of amp's here with multiple input selections, in the lounge I run a 1990's Pioneer Amp and Yamaha floor standing speakers.

As you say for the office PC, I'm using one source output that is the PC.

While on the subject of amplifiers, my amplifiers are class A/B including the twin amps in the Prodipes. I find class D amplifiers a little cold sounding.

Soldato
I have the same stands as you, do they have threaded part in the stand? 6mm speaker spikes threaded though?

You have push out the small rubber feet (that are glued in), this reveals a hole, then those spikes are a direct fit.

Even with foam isolation, those spikes tightened up the sound even more.

These are the spikes, they are showing as unavailable, but sure you will find them somewhere else on the net.

There is no thread in the stand, just a hole. They thread into a small metal cap that comes with the spikes, they are a little tricky to setup as you have limited height and angle adjustment, but worth it once they are in place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Still missing lacking in sub 55hz, so for movies won't have the same effect, 20hz on mine. Also improves dynamics by shifting LF/ULF from the standmount amplifier to the sub.

Back to subs, Prodipe do make a sub that goes directly with the Prodipe Pro 5's. However reading forums / reviews most people say the sub has to be set quite low else there is to much bass in the room. As mentioned i'm not buying one as i'm happy with just the Prodipe 5's on there own.

Soldato
Not impressive sub only 150w 36hz response no +/- figure so probably worse than that. That's lousy response

Thats a midwoofer.

For ported subwoofer it looks too small cabinet

It's designed to go with the studio monitors that's why it's a little small. As mentioned, can't see myself buying one. Maybe if one came up cheap on eBay, or clearance then I might try it.

Back
Top Bottom