Recommend me a 32" LCD TV

Associate
Hi all,

My trusty 25" Nokia is starting to give up the ghost after 10 years of service, so I'm looking for a new telly.

I don't want to spend a lot, but at the same time I do want a decent picture - I don't like the artefacts I see on a lot of LCD TVs, which is my main bugbear.

I don't mind if it has VGA input or not. If there anything I should really be looking for though?

And is there any difference in different HDTV descriptions? I've read that "HDTV compatible" means nothing...

Any recommendations gratefully received :)

Cheers :)

All depends on budget!

If you can stretch to £1050, then the Sony 32V2000 is pretty much the best you can get. Superb SD performance, and great HD performance. Looks great too.

Otherwise for around £750 the Toshiba WLT66 is definately the way to go! :)

Will you be using the TV for PC use? If so then the WLT66 isn't that great, but if you're not using a PC with it, then it's a bargain!

Budget probably 850 max realistically....I popped out and saw a nice little model in a high street retailer, £850 for a Sharp LC32GD8e. The picture was fantastic, but it was running a DVD with an HDMi link...which might explain it.

Thanks for all the tips so far though, much appreciated!

I suppose I need SD performance more than HD - I don't actually have any HD devices!!!

Yeah, I saw that (thanks) but there are no reviews or recommendations (other than the fantastic prices!) which is what I'm looking for really.

I've had an LG 32LX2R for over a year now and it's fantastic. Has all the important connections, DVI/HDMI (HDCP Compliant), Scart, PC Audio In, Component. A great picture for PC/TV/DVD watching. although beware if you have a shoddy aerial picture (Common problem with LCDs) as they show up all the flaws in the picture.
Can now be had for around £760

Windle said:
I've had an LG 32LX2R for over a year now and it's fantastic. Has all the important connections, DVI/HDMI (HDCP Compliant), Scart, PC Audio In, Component. A great picture for PC/TV/DVD watching. although beware if you have a shoddy aerial picture (Common problem with LCDs) as they show up all the flaws in the picture.
Can now be had for around £760

I have the LG 32LX2R. Certainly is an awesome screen for PC use and HD sources (Xbox 360 etc..). But the SD side is quite weak. So if you watch a lot of SD TV (Freeview, Sky+), you'd be better spending the extra on the Tosh 32WLT66

I'm on NTL digital cable and I can see the artefacts on my CRT screen, so I could do without any further degradation in quality - sounds like the Tosh is the way forward!

Thanks chaps, much appreciated!

TheMagicPirate said:
I've got one of these.
/me plays with the motorised stand :)

It has loads of connections and the speakers are removable, though they sound good for TV speakers.

Picture of the 720p POTC trailer from my XBox 360. Taking pictures without flash sucks okay.

One further question - I'm looking into working in Australia in a year or so's time. Would a UK LCD TV work OK over there? I know they're on the same standard (PAL) as us, but would it pick up broadcasts OK?

A321 here too. One thing I would say is the Analogue performance is pretty dire in comparison to a CRT based set (which I expect), just hooked up a freeview box to it this morning and its way better.

Raider said:
All depends on budget!

If you can stretch to £1050, then the Sony 32V2000 is pretty much the best you can get. Superb SD performance, and great HD performance. Looks great too.

Otherwise for around £750 the Toshiba WLT66 is definately the way to go! :)

Will you be using the TV for PC use? If so then the WLT66 isn't that great, but if you're not using a PC with it, then it's a bargain!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, i brought a WLT66 yesterday and have to say its stunning. But i was wondering whats the best way to connent to my PC. Component or D-Sub? I had it on D-Sub earlier and it was very good. Do you think component would improve it.

Toshiba lcd panels are made by AUO in Taiwan and the LCD tvs are re-made by Quanta, also a taiwan company.. who also supply lots of other LCDTV companies. So the only thing japanese about the Toshiba is the name.
http://displayblog.wordpress.com/2006/07/28/quanta-computer-lands-toshiba-lcd-tv-contract/

Sony and samsung use the same lcd panels (since 2004), made by their 50/50 joint venture company S-LCD (except samsung own one more share than sony). So there is no difference in display quality. And both LCDTV's are Korean.
http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=23901863

Last edited:
nippynoo said:
Sony and samsung use the same lcd panels (since 2004), made by their 50/50 joint venture company S-LCD (except samsung own one more share than sony). So there is no difference in display quality. And both LCDTV's are Korean.
http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=23901863

Umm sorry but that's complete nonsense. :rolleyes:
That's like saying that because two PCs, one with a Geforce 6800GTX and one with a Geforce 7900GTX, use the same monitor that they'll both perform the same graphically.

Yes the LCD panels are the same for Sony and Samsung, BUT the picture processing is entirely different. A Sony Bravia LCD is significantly better (especially in SD) than the Samsung LCDs that use the same panel. Plus the Sony employs other things like variable backlight to deliver blacker blacks etc..

carry_on_cowboy said:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, i brought a WLT66 yesterday and have to say its stunning. But i was wondering whats the best way to connent to my PC. Component or D-Sub? I had it on D-Sub earlier and it was very good. Do you think component would improve it.

D-Sub is the best way for PC use, but finding the best resolution is quite important for that screen. This thread is big, but should give you all the information you need:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333378&page=16

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom