Recommend me a 32" LCD TV

nippynoo said:
Check the facts... and try and ignore the marketing hype...

Samsung's last range of LCDs, their new R Series LCD TVs use a slightly better panel (and they're not letting Sony, who've annouced plans to build their own LCD plant, get their hands on them).
http://phasetwo.org/post/the_rise_of_samsung.html (bottom of page)
http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/LCD?Article=/TVs And Large Display/LCD/W2T2M9M8

Just compare the contrast ratios for a start.

Try ignoring the basic stats, and check reviews and people's opinions. And I don't think a press release from Samsung, and a BLOG ( :rolleyes: ) make up solid facts.

If you seriously believe that Samsung LCD TVs outclass Sonys then I guess everyone on AVForums and AVSForums, and all the Home Cinema magazines are wrong. If only they had read the facts :(

The Samsung panels are great mid-range LCDs, no doubt. If I had around £700 to spend on a 32" LCD then I'd probably punt for one. BUT above that there are plenty of TVs that beat them hands down, including the Sony S and V series.

The technology of the panel itself in the R series Sammy is better compared to the Sony S or V series - (see below). Has anyone found anything 'technical' that says otherwise? - not just a subjective opinion/review - people are just taken in by that Sony badge (including me). (Note that I am only taking about the LCD panel, nothing else)

I'm also looking for a 32" by the way. (I'm going 'subjective' now :) - cos I'm a bit human). I probably agree with you here. If I had to put them in order, I'd put the user interface and the look of the V series highest, followed by the WLT66, and in third place would be the R-series (it just 'looks' cheap).

But a couple of beauties are on the way! The new Sony X-series is going to be using a newer panel so should be better, also 1080p I think. And the forthcoming WLT68 looks totally fantastic (try googling it - I'm awaiting prices). I'm probably going to go for the new Tosh if its not too expensive - and it looks way better than anything else at its likely price.

Last edited:
When looking at SD picture quality the panel actually has a lot less to do with it than the scaler.

All the top names have decent panels, but not all of them have decent scalers. I recently demo'd a few at a proper hifi store (currys etc. = lol) and the WLT66 and Sony Bravia ranges were far better than the samsungs when it came to SD picture quality, imo. Ended up with the 32WLT66, got it for £730 delivered, money well spent, fantastic set and very nice to look at.

Ste said:
When looking at SD picture quality the panel actually has a lot less to do with it than the scaler.

All the top names have decent panels, but not all of them have decent scalers. I recently demo'd a few at a proper hifi store (currys etc. = lol) and the WLT66 and Sony Bravia ranges were far better than the samsungs when it came to SD picture quality, imo. Ended up with the 32WLT66, got it for £730 delivered, money well spent, fantastic set and very nice to look at.

Same here :) I went to the same "proper hi-fi store" ( :D ) and had a look. Same conclusion. About to order the same telly :)

Just thought I'd post my thoughts, having taken the advice of those on the forum and plumped for the Tosh.

Basically, I love it. Girlfriend loves it too - we're both really chuffed with the improvement over the 25" CRT. We had it sitting here in the lounge for a while before I took it to the tip, and it looked tiny :)

Picture quality is great, no horrific artefacts or blurring like I've seen on cheaper, earlier screens. It also makes a decent monitor, evidenced by the fact I've moved my games machine to the lounge and am using this to post right now :)

Thanks to all who recommended it - it's certainly been an excellent buy. It hasn't just replaced the 25" CRT set, but coupled with the 5.1 amp, speakers and sub it has not only completely transformed the fun we get out of watching films at home, it has also given us back a foot of space in the lounge! :)

Back
Top Bottom