Recommend me a couple of running jackets

Underboss
Hi all

Looks like the weather is turning colder next week

I would like some recommendations please as i cant really decide on what to buy

went into Deacthlon today, and i didn't like any of the jackets there, also i found the "run Warm" jackets are too fleecy for my liking (i find them more of a mid layer / hoodie than a jacket)

Ideally , want a Wind repellent jacket and a Rain Jacket

warm jackets are not an issue as i would just put on a warmer base layer/top underneath

thanks

Soldato
For running, and often cycling, I've used a Montane featherlite Marathon, for the last couple of years,
waterproof/windproof usually over a couple of artificial layers, has several vents, even though fabric/pertex is not breathable ~£50.

next step up would have been a breathable pac-lite goretex smock more like £150 ... but never found one that grabbed me.

The outdoor place just east of Bedford is pretty good .. what are they called.?

Sportshoes online too, buy a selection - can get some free retuens w/paypal

Caporegime
In general, a good quality long sleeve running shirt will work, along with nice running tights. polartec gloves when cold.
Even when it gets down to -4 or so you wont need more. When it gets colder or there is significant wind chill then a technical t-short underneath and shorts on top of running tight to protect your junk helps.

When it is raining, the problem is even the most breathable waterproof jackets are useful when running. I have 600
quid Goretex jackets and they wont be breathable enough. If is is a mild rain, say over 7C then just run with the above long sleeve shirt and running tights. You will get wet but the effort from running will keep you run for 60-90 minute running.
When it is cold and raining, then a dedicated running jacket like Patagonia Houdini keeps the rain off for a bit and is very breathable. But these jackets are purposely not waterpoof, so rain will get in and you will get wet. But the jacket and your LS shirt will act a bit like a wetsuit, trapping heat against your body. You also find that even these super breathable non-waterpoof running jackets still trap too much moisture, so if you use them when it is only lightly raining you will get damp and sweaty. One strategy is to put the acket on for a bit, once you are warm take it off and stuff it into a pocket, then enjoy the main part of your run in the rain getter slowly wetter. If you start to feel the cold and wet too much towards the end, then you can put the jacket back on which will trap some heat and warm you back up (but of course you are a bit wet).

For longer runs in heavy rain then doing loops near your house/car and getting changed once or twice can work if the rain is really heavy and continuous.

Overall, don;t really rely on a running jacket too much, the base clothign is the most important. You just have to accept wet, just try to avoid too wet and cold. Positive mental spirirt most important of all

Underboss
OP
Very interesting and informative post DP, cheers

i'll have to buy more gear (if one lot is wet i can throw another pair on) as i dont have much i can use at present

I see a lot of runners wearing jackets, i even saw a guy this morning were what looked like a warm hoodie type of mid layer, and it was way too warm for it!

I dont actually use tights, i use cargo gym trousers which work for me, i have no long sleeve running tops (only jumpers and hoodies and fleeces for walking so i need to invest in some)

Underboss
OP
hey DP
do you think this is about right ?

This is in Fahrenheit

A Quick Guide on What to Wear:

Still wondering what you should wear? You can use our clever What to Wear tool here, or use the quick guide below.

60+ degrees: tank top and shorts

50–59 degrees: short sleeve tech shirt and shorts

40–49 degrees: long sleeve tech shirt, shorts or tights, gloves (optional), headband to cover ears (optional)

30–39 degrees: long sleeve tech shirt, shorts or tights, gloves, and headband to cover ears

20–29 degrees: two shirts layered—a long sleeve tech shirt and a short sleeve tech shirt or long sleeve shirt and jacket—tights, gloves, and headband or hat to cover ears

10–19 degrees: two shirts layered, tights, gloves or mittens, headband or hat, and windbreaker jacket/pants

0–9 degrees: two shirts layered, tights, windbreaker jacket/pants, mittens, headband or hat, ski mask to cover face

source :
https://www.runnersworld.com/beginner/a20834718/the-newbie-guide-to-running-when-its-cold/

Soldato
When it is raining, the problem is even the most breathable waterproof jackets are useful when running. I have 600
quid Goretex jackets and they wont be breathable enough. If is is a mild rain, say over 7C then just run with the above long sleeve shirt and running tights. You will get wet but the effort from running will keep you run for 60-90 minute running.
When it is cold and raining, then a dedicated running jacket like Patagonia Houdini keeps the rain off for a bit and is very breathable. But these jackets are purposely not waterpoof, so rain will get in and you will get wet.

is that a hard shell goretex though ?, I use one too, for skiing/walking - very abrasion resistant(rip-stop too) for rucsacs/harnesses etc,
but I don't believe they are as breathable as a two layer goretex active would be
eg https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/gore-c3-gore-tex-active-jacket-100034.html
https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/gore-c5-gore-tex-shakedry-1985-viz-jacket-100408.html

still expensive versus something like Houdini, but, if on a moderate run they keep you drier, then maybe worthwhile, as a polvalent garment (cycling, commute ....)

the goretex advertising is good, but there are (better value?)alternatives too

https://www.evo.com/guides/outerwear-waterproof-ratings-and-breathability

eVent®
Fabric and technology used by multiple companies: oleophobic protective solution is applied at a microscopic level to the PTFE fibers and nodes, allowing the membrane to maintain its natural microporous and air permeable structure. eVent fabrics complete line of waterproof products (ranging from 10,000-30,000 mm) feature the company’s Direct Venting technology, a proprietary air permeable waterproof system that delivers outstanding breathability combined with windproof protection.

MemBrain®
Marmot's proprietary waterproof breathable fabric with a PU membrane features excellent performance at reasonable prices.

Polartec® NeoShell®
Fabric used by multiple companies: very supple and slightly stretchy fabric with a reported waterproof rating of ~10,000 mm and ground-breaking breathability. Unique membrane allows two-way air exchange to facilitate water vapor evacuation. Cold weather endurance athletes who require exceptional breathability are stoked about this fabric.

Polartec® Power Shield® Pro
A highly breathable soft shell fabric that’s waterproof enough to wear most of the time in dryer mountain climates.

Dry.Q™ Elite
Mountain Hardwear’s proprietary W/B fabric . By eliminating the thin continuous PU layer over the PTFE membrane, this technology allows the user to vent water vapor as soon as the garment goes on, without a buildup of moisture and heat.

DryVent® (Formerly Hyvent®)
Waterproof/breathable fabric from The North Face available in several different models. TNF™ gives waterproof ratings in PSI (Pounds per Square Inch); DryVent® 3L, for instance, is rated at 25 PSI minimum after 20 washings with a breathability rating of 750-800 g/m2/24 hrs avg (MVTR) Upright Cup. (Keep in mind that Upright Cup numbers for a given fabric are typically much lower than those from other testing methods).

H2No®
Patagonia’s proprietary W/B fabric, offered in 3L, 2L, and 2.5L versions. Patagonia also offers a full line of GORE-TEX® garments.

PreCip™
A coated technology exclusive to Marmot that offers great value in lightweight rainwear.

Pertex® Shield+ / AP
Pertex Shield+ is the ultimate lightweight, waterproof fabric for fast moving outdoor activities. It uses a hydrophilic PU membrane to provide a high level of dynamic breathability – the harder you work the greater the breathability of the fabric.

Pertex Shield AP features an advanced air-porous membrane to offer the highest levels of durability and performance for professional and extreme applications. Pertex Shield AP contains a high concentration of uniformly spaced microporous holes that have highly hydrophobic properties. This membrane plays a dual role, giving the fabric both its waterproofness and a high degree of moisture permeability.

Underboss
OP
Bit of a wasted day in Milton Keynes to be honest
up & running had a very tiny section in the Cotsworld outdoor shop
popped into Sports Direct, nothing i really liked, except maybe a Ronhill top i saw, but other than that, nothing what i wanted

But i did manage to get a Run Light 250 (the hi vis one) that they had 1 left in stock, and 1 pair of winter running trousers, which i needed for my knee joints @ Decathlon

and i bought a new pair of trainers (not running ones though)

so im going to order some tops from that place you mentioned guys that if you pay via PayPal you get free returns? i can then order a few, really like the look of the Salomon Agile Long Sleeve top though

Cheers

Soldato
Decathlon
they have some good stuff ... just a pity they don't do free delivery, but with their european market/economy-of-scale I think they give better value than sports direct ....
I often look at the translated european reviews of their/dc stuff - after all they are real big in France.
(I compare Ashley with Ratner)

hat if you pay via PayPal you get free returns?
you must 'sign' up at paypal first - yes ? this makes sportshsoes direct & others viable.

edit - yeseterday discussing with neghbour who just got a fluo gore-tex active, said it was ver breathable and he could reduce underlayers ... so probably becomes more effective with skin/high-temp closer to the gore-tex .... now, just need to look for a Bfriday deal

Last edited:
Caporegime
is that a hard shell goretex though ?, I use one too, for skiing/walking - very abrasion resistant(rip-stop too) for rucsacs/harnesses etc,
but I don't believe they are as breathable as a two layer goretex active would be
eg https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/gore-c3-gore-tex-active-jacket-100034.html
https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/gore-c5-gore-tex-shakedry-1985-viz-jacket-100408.html

still expensive versus something like Houdini, but, if on a moderate run they keep you drier, then maybe worthwhile, as a polvalent garment (cycling, commute ....)

the goretex advertising is good, but there are (better value?)alternatives too

I have multiple goretex and 3rd party shells , most designed for ski-touring and Alpine climb with an emphasis on breathability and active wear, and all top branded Arcteryx/Mammut/Marmot.

But none of them would be any use when running. It is basically impossible to design a fabric that is both waterproof and breathable enough for high activity sports.

If it is really completely chucking it done with rain then these work for short easy runs, but you very quickly get wet inside.

Soldato
running this evening/dark at 5-6degrees/dry/some breeze, needed three layers - patagonia base/gore windstop-top and aforesaid waterproof montane pertex to keep warm ...
shorts of course +hat/gloves
not sure if I could combine the top two in a long sleeve tech shirt ? which ?

Underboss
OP
Well, I can't fault sweatshop

I ordered 3 tops
Said it would be here 29th, it arrived today (23rd)

They refunded me for a top because it was out of stock , but on its arrival, all 3 tops are here, so I got one for free , sleeves are short and I don't particulaly like the material but I can't complain, will make a good extra layer
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom