Recommend me a record player (amp and speakers)

Soldato
My partner has an old Technics record player/cassette deck/speakers that she bought for £10 about 10 years ago.

We've recently done up her room and I was going to get her a replacement setup for just playing vinyl (she doesn't have any cassettes) that has a more modern look.

What recommend ye? The budget is about £400 all in.

Soldato
To be honest, a complete Vinyl setup for £400 is a bit of a tall order. Certainly a turntable and amp can be got for less than £400 but it dosn't leave much left for speakers.
A good starting point for a turntable is a Rega RP1. Usually it will come with an MM cartridge and is one of the best entry level turntables you can buy. From a certain Auction site they tend to sell for around £130/£190, new they are about £250.
As far as an amplifier goes, an Arcam Alpha 8 would be a good choice. Powerful enough at 50w and sounds nice with the added bonus that has a built in Phonostage to plug a turntable into. Again, from a certain auction site these can be got for between £60/£130 which is a bargain in my view.
That would leave you with about £80 for speakers.

Soldato
I've got a Arcam Alpha9 , it's now unusable because of the input switch fault. Also the volume pot is uneven at low volumes one channel is lower in level.

That's just the way things go sometimes with old electronics. But just making a blanket statement "Don't buy Arcam Alphas- they have fauly input selectors." as if all Arcam Alpha's have an issue, is plain wrong and dosn't help the OP.

Soldato
So now you're changing your tune. It's well know the Arcam Alpha 9 had a design fault

http://www.condoraudio.com/wp-conte...am-Alpha9-Amplifier-Upgrade-Switch-Repair.pdf

I havn't changed my tune at all. You never mentioned you were talking about an Alpha 9 in your first post, you just said "Don't buy Arcam Alphas- they have fauly input selectors." Yes the Alpha 9 did have a design fault. All the Alpha's below the 9 have manual input selectors, not motorized selectors. As i recommend and Alpha 8 it has no faulty input selector.

Soldato
I havn't changed my tune at all. You never mentioned you were talking about an Alpha 9 in your first post, you just said "Don't buy Arcam Alphas- they have fauly input selectors." Yes the Alpha 9 did have a design fault. All the Alpha's below the 9 have manual input selectors, not motorized selectors. As i recommend and Alpha 8 it has no faulty input selector.

It's a manual selector as well. The motor just operates the shaft.

Soldato
Either way, you're looking at higher budget.

£250 for a record player
£50-£100 for a phono stage (want on with a anti-thump - sub sonic filter as well)
£150-£250 for a amp
£100-£250 for speakers

Soldato
I picked up a Project Primary. It's incredibly budget but i imagine it'd do the job. It does make me appreciate my old Project Xperience though.

Realistically how important a focus does your partner put on audio quality? I've had hifi systems worth over 8k and am now using one worth a fraction of that and my wife can't tell the difference.

Your best bet would probably be to head into a Richer Sounds and i imagine for £400 you'd get something reasonable. I reckon there's a good chance she'd be happy with an amp with built in phono stage too as that makes operating it more simple. My wife hated having to turn on about 5 things just to play a cd/record.

For value i've also look second hand, especially for Amps/Speakers as they don't really go wrong.

Soldato
For that budget? You can pick up a Denon F07 system including speakers on the auction site for <200 quid (owned one in the past, great little system, old school high-end build quality for peanuts), which has a phono input. Leaves you 200 quid for a nice used turntable.

I got a mint condition Thorens TD180 for less than hundred quid. Needed a quick service, cleanup with contact spray, and a new stylus, but good as new now, still has the film on the plinth :>

Back
Top Bottom