Recommend me a record player (amp and speakers)

Soldato
OP
I picked up a Project Primary. It's incredibly budget but i imagine it'd do the job. It does make me appreciate my old Project Xperience though.

Realistically how important a focus does your partner put on audio quality? I've had hifi systems worth over 8k and am now using one worth a fraction of that and my wife can't tell the difference.

Your best bet would probably be to head into a Richer Sounds and i imagine for £400 you'd get something reasonable. I reckon there's a good chance she'd be happy with an amp with built in phono stage too as that makes operating it more simple. My wife hated having to turn on about 5 things just to play a cd/record.

For value i've also look second hand, especially for Amps/Speakers as they don't really go wrong.

Yeah, I came here knowing much of the responses I would get.

I just did the same with a friend asking about Airsoft gear "Get this I said, it's only £200". He spent £50 and is happy.

I'm holding out on a good deal on a RP1. If I can get it used for the same price I can get a Pro-Ject Primary or Elemental new, then I'll get that. Otherwise she'll likely be happy with something that looks the part.

You're right about having to turn lots of stuff on. She's been living the easy life with my harmony setup that when it stopped working she berated me the entire time to get it working so she didn't have to use 3 remotes.

Is there such a thing as nice looking amps with phono stages? :)

EDIT: Just realised that my old AV amp might acctually have the right inputs and pre-amps...

Soldato
Yeah. Something like the Denon PMA520AE would fit the bill at around £150.

Get some speakers which cost about the same and a used RP1 and you're laughing.

I will however bow down to other people on the best options at this price point as it's not something i've looked at for a long time.

Worth checking out Hifi Wigwam classifieds. A lot of the guys there have very high end stuff, but there's some great bargains to be had

Associate
I've just put together my little man cave setup which consists of a Rega Planar 2, a vintage Technics receiver and a pair of Mission M33 speakers............ total cost £155.00

Soldato
If you have an old av amp , just buy a phono stage. Although an old marantz or rega amp would be nice.

Always nice to have good friends sometines . I sold my old setup to my mate before last Christmas for £350 .... consisted of :-

Marantz 6004 amp
Rega p3
Mission 780se speakers
Attacama nexus 6 speaker stands

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have an old av amp , just buy a phono stage. Although an old marantz or rega amp would be nice.

Always nice to have good friends sometines . I sold my old setup to my mate before last Christmas for £350 .... consisted of :-

Marantz 6004 amp
Rega p3
Mission 780se speakers
Attacama nexus 6 speaker stands

Older AVR's do usually have phono stage. Check the documentation.

Associate
Loads of stuff - but quite a bit of it was copies of stuff I used to own but had lost or had on CD.
Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, a couple of Peter Gabriel's, quite a bit of YES (most of which I confess to not having listened to :) He kept most of his world music collection but I did get a couple of Manu Dibango albums and some Anegelique Kidjo - I even got a couple of French albums for my wife.
I'm lucky because my wife prefers vinyl to digital as well so we treat each other to LPs every now and again - it's nice that they're rereleasing a lot of old favourites on heavy weight vinyl (even if the prices are often a bit of a rip-off).

Soldato
OP
Possibility of picking up an original Rega Planar 2 for £150...

Is the 90s version lacking anything compared to the modern ones?

Associate
They haven't changed a huge amount and third party upgrades aren't too expensive. As long as the arm is the RB 250 and the bearings are in good order you should be fine.

A slightly cheaper alternative would be the NAD 533, as far as I can tell it's identical to the Planar 2.

Back
Top Bottom