Recommend Me an Android Head Unit for an E46! (Please)

Soldato
The audio quality on the 9 inch px5 unit was 1 million times better. That was with using viper4android on both
is that a digital connection into the (aftermarket) amps you had ? (even with inbuilt hk/other sound system can it be digital or is it analogue)

The viper app does not appear to offer time-correction/cross-over/parametric-eq like alpine units do, but if you have the tc+co in the external amp that would be ok.
a quick google, this android app for peq is recommended by many
the https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...usb-audio-support-for-android.704065/page-120 ?
[with the peq you can get a smoother response which I use on alpine]

the px5 link talks about Integrated DSP chip for superior sound
what does that really do ? .. how do you access it via android (alpine units have a dedicated dsp with the specific sound correction capabilities)

[
Car integration looks nice, but always seems a dilema having to mount it so low to safely access the functions, so I still think of a higher level mounted android tablet,
with something like a chromescast audio to connect into existing audio system , and an ibus dongle to access the car systems
]

Soldato
Bit of a hijack but where is the best place to buy one from? I looked at this a while back and ended up just going for a normal single din but Im getting sick of mounting my phone everytime I get in the car and using waze on a small screen.

Associate
It was connected to both amps via the RCA output of the head unit. In terms of the DSP, to be honest I did nothing to interact with it specifically. I just set everything in viper4android to get the best sound I could. With the previous android head unit I had, I found it almost impossible to get the kind of mid-bass I like. There was not enough fullness to the sound no matter how I set viper4android and I had to use the loud setting on the head unit which as you probably know isn't ideal. The PX5 was a whole different story, no loud setting needed and not much tweaking on the EQ either and it gave me the midbass I was lacking previously. No other changes to the sound system so it was definitely the head unit.

Personally I find that these chinese manufacturers make large strides with each iteration, in terms of the quality of the unit and the firmware. I would be comfortable in saying that the PX6 would be a worthwhile upgrade over the PX5 unit. I purchased an E92 recently and there is a PX6 unit that replaces the idrive screen in the dash. It gives you the full android side but also allows you to hold a button on the idrive controller to switch back to the original CIC/CCC idrive and use the cars internal functions still. Definitely going to be getting one of these (when/if I ever get the car back.... long story there).

The best place to get them Snookums, is either on Ebay, or aliexpress. You will find a lot of sellers advertise a "no import/tax" option on aliexpress that get shipped from a European warehouse. The last 2 I have purchased have been from Ebay but my next one will probably be on aliexpress as it is a bit cheaper.

Soldato
thanks, I did subsequently see what the dsp offers

48048006872_2e00ac2c31_o_d.jpg

[
https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...eneral/dsp-units-androidautoshop-com-t3803557
Joying have been using crappy amp chips for ages hence they sound garbage even with Viper4Audio. Finally Xtrons, Eonon and the like are using the tda7851 which is a much improved chipset and provides clear, surprisingly crisp audio. I've had people comment on the quality of audio in my car, it blows the OEM radio away and that was a BMW Professional which isn't their base unit.

and that if you have an external amp with processing(hk) it/dsp maybe less useful.
and with previous hu's w/o dsp you can make mods for sound improvement, anyway
https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...d-e-sound-improvement-options-advice-t3849317
https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...d-unit-cortex-a72-four-cortex-t3847427/page23
]

I still don't understand this MTCB/MTCC/MTCD/MTCE nomenclature ... that different generations of MicronTeCh head units ?

Associate
I believe the MTCB/MTCC/MTCD/MTCE refers to the type/version of the MCU or microcontroller. I believe its job is to provide a layer of control that is non specific to android. It handles the steering wheel controls and interfaces with the canbus, the power state (when to turn on, and off, when to use reversing camera), dvd player and video controls etc.

Associate
Do you have to do much faffing about with the wiring of these Android units ? is it pull out your old head unit and plug the new Android unit in?

Associate
If you aren't running any additional usb connections around your car, and are using the original stereo then it is very easy.

Just plug the loom they give you into the one that comes out of the back of the head unit and plug that into the new head unit. You will have to wire a GPS antenna under the dashboard but I found that pretty simple. Just ran it under the dash on the passenger side and stuck it on one of the metal frame pieces (without interfering with the airbag of course...). Oh, and don't forget about plugging your radio antenna in as well.

If you have harmon kardon or the OEM sat nav unit though I think it is a bit more involved as you need to purchase a separate harness that you have to run from the back of the car to the front of the car or something. I didn't have HK so didn't have to deal with this.

Without HK/oem sat nav I could probably install one of these in under 30 minutes.

Permabanned
Was tempted by the xtrons unit but im worried going from my alpine unit to xtrons will be massive sound quality reduction? Car audio forums suggest that these cheapo android units lack the audio hardware to compare with the bigger branded stuff. Main tell tale is those android units have lower snr on specs sheet.
cause people are stupid and dont realise sound quality comes from SPEAKERS not headunit. You can have 1000 quid unit and still will sound **** with crap speakers.
Get Androind head unit. Get external amp with sensible output power. GET GREAT SPEAKERS.

Permabanned
I had an Xtrons unit in my old A3. Fantastic unit. I ran Waze all the time along with Google Music etc. It would occasionally lock up and need a reboot, but 2-3 times a month (or sometimes not at all) at the most. I was very pleased with the fitment and the quality of the unit too, with all the radio controls etc working perfectly. But it was quick and responsive even while running many apps at once.
Ye I had Xtrons in my DC2 for 8 years not android one but touchscreen ect before.... Power button broke for 80 quid I'w paid for it was great. Reversing camera worked well music played great from sd card and dvd with mp3s on it ect.

I want new headunit for my 350Z now..... I will upgrade the crappy stock bose speakers they have in stock. Got problem locating 10inch 2ohm sub tho ehhh.

Replaced broken xtrons with cheap as hell 35 quid delivered unit

worked till i crashed car :/

It was hooked up to Vibe amplifier. Infinity front speakers and passive sub. If i remember 2x100rms for fronts and 1x250rms for sub.

Loud enough to fight 113 decibel (actually measured at track) full spoon exhaust :D

If I remember total cost with cables ect speakers ect was around 350 pounds.

Last edited:
Soldato
But once the DSP has been tweaked with Viper,
just revisiting this ..
the dynavin are not full blown android heads are they ? although their sound quality maybe better than most android heads (which is what I prioritize) perhaps some good deals to be had because of that.

Viper is software afaik sucking up some of the cpu power ... the DSP's on the latest androids are doing in hardware what viper does.

but im worried going from my alpine unit to xtrons will be massive sound quality reduction?
I agree, I currentl have an alpine, and am sooner searching for a tablet/large phone at eye level, for nav, and also re-purposing my chromecast audio to drive the aux in on the alpine.

Man of Honour
Yeah the dynavins can't be customised the same way as they're locked down quite a bit iirc, least last I looked at them as one was an option at the time. I will be upgrading mine to a newer octa core one in time though as I want one running Android 9, plus the added benefit of the hardware EQ stuff.

Soldato
All of the octocore ones I find seem to be on either 8.0 or 8.1. Albeit I am looking for a Mk6 fiesta. The 9.0 models are all quad cores.

Was hoping to get an erisin unit 4gb octocore but not sure if only having 8.0 will matter that much.

Soldato
If you have harmon kardon or the OEM sat nav unit though I think it is a bit more involved as you need to purchase a separate harness that you have to run from the back of the car to the front of the car or something. I didn't have HK so didn't have to deal with this.
Was about to post this. Unless you have a nav retrofit (and subsequent loom) then you won't have any radio connectors behind the dash, as the radio sits in the boot on e46s with navigation. Back in the 2000s I retrofitted nav to a couple of e46s I owned and to run a loom from the front to the back is quite a long job, you'll basically be doing the opposite.

Associate
OP
So, I've decided on the Erisin ES7962B as it appears to have the best spec in their range, and I like how they look similar to the stock nav unit. It's running Android 9.0 with 4GB RAM and 8 x 1.5GHz A35 CPUs. I'd rather have fewer but faster cores like the PX6 ezekial mentioned, but it doesn't look like Erisin do them.

Thanks guys.

Soldato
So, I've decided on the Erisin ES7962B as it appears to have the best spec in their range, and I like how they look similar to the stock nav unit. It's running Android 9.0 with 4GB RAM and 8 x 1.5GHz A35 CPUs. I'd rather have fewer but faster cores like the PX6 ezekial mentioned, but it doesn't look like Erisin do them.

Thanks guys.
Have you checked that you have any audio connectors to plug it in behind your OEM nav screen? If it's factory fitted E46 navigation the the radio is in the boot, and that's just a monitor in the front with no gubbins and just video connectors.

Soldato
and to run a loom from the front to the back is quite a long job,
yes it was a get the seats out job, I tried poking it through but path not straight enough,
when I had to replace a cable, after splicing an aux in, in, I ran the successor above the carpet.

Did you go for a UK source or aliexepress ?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33040544938.html <- they discuss cables/loom alterations as Em3bbs discussed
fwiw they have a px6 unit , but from obscure brand skyshadow, with oem look, at similar price. w/4G
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33009666381.html

Soldato
the Xtron's an older eight core (not 6 core big-a58/little config) and without the hardware DSP/equalizer .. it's not obvious that they are yet discounting the older architectures,
the quality of the other components could make up for that though.

Agree >£200 on an aliexpress purchase, without a UK company to pursue any warranty issues with, is a gamble.

Back
Top Bottom