Recommend me some co-op games?

Soldato
I love co-op games. In competitive games, the experienced players invariably sandblast the newbies, and the newbies have no idea how it happened. I love co-op games because everyone works together to defeat the implacable foe that is the game mechanics. I've had more fun losing co-op games than I've ever had winning competitive games. So, does anyone have any recommendations?

I've played Pandemic, Betrayal At House On The Hill, Battlestar Galactica (with and without the Pegasus expansion), Forbidden Island. Tempted by Arkham Horror and Elder Signs. Are they any good? Anything else you think is awesome that I've never heard of?

Associate
Arkham Horror is really good but there's lots of rules to remember, I've heard good thing of Eldritch Horror which I believe is co-op and I've heard it's an up to date version of Arkham.

I bought a game called Red Novembver the other day but have not had a chance to play it yet but the gist of it is you are a bunch of gnomes in a steampunk submarine putting out fires, patching leaks (among other things) and drinking "grog" for courage.

Let me know what you end up getting.

SM

Edit:

I've really enjoyed Mice and mystics too which is also good solo.

Last edited:
Associate
We got Ghost Stories at Christmas and we've played it a couple of times, so far it's been quite difficult (but fun) with 4 players.

Soldato
Shadows Over Camelot (Play against the game but there might be a traitor in the midst)

Fury of Dracula (up to 4 players vs Dracula (1player) chasing him around 19th Century Europe and fighting what he leaves in his wake)

Soldato
Forbidden Desert is worth a look if you enjoyed the Island - overall a much tougher game in my experience!

I've heard good things about Castle Panic too - yet to play it though :)

Soldato
Shadows Over Camelot (Play against the game but there might be a traitor in the midst)

Fury of Dracula (up to 4 players vs Dracula (1player) chasing him around 19th Century Europe and fighting what he leaves in his wake)

Shadows Over Camelot is a very bad traitor game, in that the traitor can do more by playing properly than he can by attempting to betray the team. If it's a traitor game you want rather than co-op, Battlestar Galactica is your man (or possibly your Cylon). Fury of Dracula is a bad example too, as it's asymmetrical competitive.

Best true co-op games:

Pandemic
Space Alert
Lord of the Rings LCG
Eldritch Horror

Associate
I was late to the Zombicide party, but I really struggle to knock it. Yeah, there are a few odd rules which don't make thematic sense, but they do make the game flow better and add a few more tactical thoughts. If you want something light, but thematic and tense it's my current co-op of choice as anyone can play it.

If you're looking for something deeper, Robinson Crusoe has deservedly gained lots of praise and is not too hard to get hold of now. It's difficult (both in game and in poorly written rules) but is like a really good sand-box survival exercise, with more than one route to victory and very hard for one person to take control. We almost treat it like a council when deciding what roles to take that day, all making the decision together.

With regards to Arkham Horror vs Eldritch Horror, teaching Arkham scares me, teaching Eldritch doesn't and they both are close enough to scratch the same itch. So unless you specifically want the more personal rpg feel of Arkham, Eldritch is a tighter, easier and reasonably shorter game.

Associate
I have quite enjoyed Castle Panic (get the expansion if you get it, kinda completes the game)

Forbidden desert is a good shout as well

Ghost stores while hard is a very nice little game if you can get it, actually looking to see if I can pick up the expansions (White moon / black secret - expands the game to 5 players one controlling Wu Feng against the players)

Have just got Fortune and Glory as well which looks like a really nice coop / competitive game looking forward to cracking on with that one.

Associate
Have you considered the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game? Its based upon the Pathfinder RPG and essentially works as a card driven faux-RPG. There is a continuing 'story' of sorts and works best over multiple sessions.

If your game group is of an RPG type persuasion (as one of mine is), it is well worth a look.

Soldato
Have you considered the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game? Its based upon the Pathfinder RPG and essentially works as a card driven faux-RPG. There is a continuing 'story' of sorts and works best over multiple sessions.

If your game group is of an RPG type persuasion (as one of mine is), it is well worth a look.

I was going to recommend this. It is an excellent game. You don't have to be into rpg's or fantasy to enjoy it.

It is easy to set up, and creates a nice narrative framework.

Associate

I've been playing this recently & found it quite a fun little game to play, especially if you have limited time to game, one scenario takes about an hour to finish, there are a few things I find annoying such as taking significant damage wiping out your hand but on the whole its worth while, if you are going to pick it up I advise you buying some extra dice as you only get one of each type needed in the box (D4, D6, D8, D10 & D12 I got an extra two of each).

Associate
I got Pandemic for the family to play last year and we loved it. I'm looking for a new co-op game for this Christmas. Needs to be good for probably 5-6 people. Good for uncles and aunts and a couple of mid teenagers. The one I'm looking at is Space Cadets. Any other suggestions?

PoD

PoD

Associate
I got Pandemic for the family to play last year and we loved it. I'm looking for a new co-op game for this Christmas. Needs to be good for probably 5-6 people. Good for uncles and aunts and a couple of mid teenagers. The one I'm looking at is Space Cadets. Any other suggestions?

Co-Op is still a relatively niche genre and 5 - 6 players is pretty hard as most games aim at 2 - 5 players with the sweet spot being 4.

Space Cadets is good and arguably more involving that Pandemic, but it does require the participation of everyone to run successfully and I personally find that there is always someone doing something in another room / kitchen over Xmas.

I think you are really leaning on the party game genre over specifically the Co-op game, due to the audience you are catering for, so if you want some good family games then I highly recommend:

Dixit.
Cash and Guns 2nd Edition
Say Anything
Wits and Wagers
7 Wonders
Citadels
Shadows Over Camelot

Oh and
Game of Thrones 2nd Editions

Of course there is always cards against humanity, but it really depends if you mind being EXTREMELY vulgar with your family.

Last edited:
Soldato
Flashpoint has not been mentioned yet, it is good and would suit most requirements in that it has basic family rules and full on rules.

Basically you play a team of firemen faced with a burning house and some people trapped inside. Rescue more than seven out of the possible ten and you win.

Back
Top Bottom