Recommend Some Games

Soldato
So there is a lot of games out there and many years of which not everyone will have had the opportunity to play at the time, so what are some retro gems you would recommend to someone looking to play retro titles?

I don't really have much a list but I'd say Crash Team Racing on Playstation One and I actually quite like In Cold Blood for Playstation One also.

Don
I've a soft spot for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, and Gran Turismo 2 both on the PS1, and still play them both from time to time (despite there being numerous sequels of both franchises).

Older than that though The Settlers, Cannon Fodder and Colonization on the Amiga, and even older Laser Squad on the Spectrum :)

Soldato
These are not necessarily classics, just games I enjoyed, having not played them at the time (so it isn't just nostalgia making me enjoy myself!)

PC/DOS

No One Lives Forever
Medal of Honour (hopefully that counts!)
C&C Red Alert 1 and 2
The Oregon Trail
Wolfenstein 3D, Duke 3D and Doom (just for the "experience")
UT99
Thief 1 and 2
Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed

Consoles
Shenmue
THPS2
Test Drive Le Mans

Soldato
OP
Little bit of a thread bump! I think this place needs to talk more about the games... :p feels like it's mostly just hardware related.

What are some of your favourite old games that are available to buy on GOG.com?

I love GOG for old games but with the influx of new games, they don't seem to make it very easy to find old gems anymore, I wish we could filter by say 80's, 90's, 2000's etc. as I'm less interested in owning newer games through GOG.

My interest to find some games led me to MetalJesusRocks video he made showing his library of GOG games

Tonight I've made a couple of purchases in

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition
Moto Racer
Nox
Anachronox
Sensible World of Soccer 96/97
Lands of Lore - The Throne of Chaos
Lands of Lore - Guardians of Destiny
Might and Magic 1-6

I also have my eye on Brothers in Arms series, anyone played them and have any thoughts on these games?

I also might pick up In Cold Blood. I remember when I first bought this game on PSOne, I was visiting my Grandma with my Dad and we used to go around the corner to a small local game shop. We used to visit there every time we visited, we would buy / rent games, it was always a fun time. Anyway the PSOne version I still play today but can look pretty dated, so if the game on GOG is the same I might buy it for the better graphics.

I'm in a bit of a Chess phase right now, so being a Chess fan and a Star Wars fan, I just had to get hold of Star Wars Chess, loving the animations but it doesn't do anything to show you how a piece moves, so it's something you'd probably want to know before starting this.

Some of the recent console games I'd recommend are Adventures of Lolo series, these have been released on various platforms, but I've mostly played them on the NES. Another game I found that I like is Fire 'n Ice on the NES, it's another puzzle game.

I've recently found a game I never knew about as a kid, this ones on the MegaDrive/Genesis and is called Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure, actually feels well made and it is pretty funny.

X files the interactive game it's on pc or PS1, I played the PS1 version and was really fun it's like ur in a real feature length episode.

Hopefully retro enough.

I've recently got this installed but does this game in anyway spoil the series? I've just started watching the series on Disney+ and just finished S1. So if this game would spoil some of the seasons, I'd rather wait to watch the seasons before playing this.

Associate
@Spacedeck Great thread! Just looked at GOG and didn't realise there is a sale - blimey this year is going quick!

PC
Operation Flashpoint by Codemasters (2001) it was on GOG years ago but got removed due to licensing. Currently on Steam as Arma: Cold War Assault.
Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 1,2,3 (I have recently bought 4 but yet to play :)).
Quake 3 or UT99.
Grand Theft Auto Vice City (might be a bit new).

I do agree with your point about GOG, so much new stuff that I tend to miss some retro releases. I now search using classic publisher names, like Microprose etc. I never knew GOG had obscure games such as Return of the Phantom, only when doing a bit of digging realised. Its the same with Steam - they tend to sell some of the same retro games. Some on Steam are not yet available on GOG.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with Sensible Soccer. Yet to find a version which works okay on current PC's. My old 386 was perfect for Sensi at the time but cant quite replicate the same feel when playing on later hardware.

Soldato
OP
A couple extra games I purchased:

Moto Racer 2 (fun racing but IMO Moto Racer 1 is the better game)
Crusader: No Remorse
Wing Commander 1+2 (absolutely loving WC1 at the moment, playing with a joystick and it's looking and playing great!)
Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30

I heard good things about this series, so I just had to try these out.

Underrated but absolute GEMS:
Startopia (Almost like dungeon keeper in space)

I have this game on disc, I didn't learn the game as it always came across as complicated when I tried. I've been somewhat reluctant to purchase another copy on GOG or Steam. The disc just won't install on Windows10 though, so eventually I'll have to purchase the game again to play it.

Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 1,2,3 (I have recently bought 4 but yet to play :)).

I have the box for Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4. I never played the previous versions but 4 is good and is still seems to have people making mods . I do find updating the game a bit confusing though.

Associate
It's easy to recommend games to someone else, although there's a good chance they won't like it.
Some of the most enjoyable games i've played over the years got like between 20% to 30% rating by the usual magazines back in the 90's.

edit - and some of the worst got 90%+

But if anyone really does want my suggested game, it's Captain Skyhawk on the NES.

Associate
So many, but will add a few off the Neo Geo Mini I got recently that still hold up a lot in 2021.

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Samurai Shodown V Special
KOF '98
Garou Mark of the Wolves
Last Blade 2

All amazing fighting games, superb graphics and sound, some of the peak 2D games in their genre, all super playable and accessible in 2021 unlike some earlier ones in their series that are still good but more clunky.

Metal Slug 1,2,3 and X

Still some amazing graphics design, personality and detail you just don't get in newer games. They were over £200 games on release that can be completed in 45 mins or so totally action packed with lavish sequences and no fluff or filler. Plenty of ways to buy them much more cheaply on modern consoles and PC. Maybe the best run and gun games of their genre as well.

Blazing Star

Similar attention to detail as Metal Slug games but in a horizontal shoot-em-up, another super detailed but short game. Refreshing having some shorter, but more action packed games that the arcades were so once good for.

With only 150 games in the library Neo Geo has a huge ratio of good ones to total games compared to a lot of console libraries, well worth checking many of them out.

Associate
Atari 2600 - H.E.R.O, River raid, Pitfall
Zx spectrum - Manic Miner.
Amiga - SWOS, Canon Fodder 1+2, Pinball Dreams/Fantasy/Illusions, Syndicate, Galaga Delux and Dungeon Master.
GameCube - 1080 avalanche, super monkey ball, wave race.

Back
Top Bottom