Recommended Books/Resources on Investing?

Soldato
After learning a little about what goes on behind the scenes because of this GME scandal. I wouldn't even consider stocks tbh. They game seems particularly rigged by the media and hedge funds to suit them.

Soldato
If you want a classic text on share investing / valuation, then it's Benjamin Graham's The Intelligent Investor. I read it once, although how much help it would actually be in today's environment, where money printing is pushing share values, is questionable.

Here are some other investment links for you.

Also worth following people on Twitter, particularly for crypto.

Soldato
I did a lot of reading and just decided based on it the easiest way was just to put money into a a fund / S&S ISA (tax free) and let someone else deal with it.

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/ and https://www.hl.co.uk/ are recommended brokers. With Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap or Lifestrategy generally the ones people recommend.

From what I understand they will generally perform better than someone buying individual shares, unless they know what they're doing.

All I have to do is put cash in there and click buy then it's hands off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbbW8SO08XQ

This is a pretty nice video I saw recently. Chaos.
You ruined the ending to the book I recommended :p
I recommend reading "The Simple Path To Wealth". Being a day trader can make you lose your hair.

Soldato
OP
Ordered the Tim Hale book.

I may look to open up an ISA but I'd like to understand trading and stocks. I'm interested in learning how it all works.

Associate
Except for Rich Dad Poor Dad everything will be great. Personally I read a zillion books on investments but the situation changes so quickly that ny best educator is my own experience. When I started trading crypto I didn't know it had much less safety than it was proclaimed. I had to go and learn to protect it manually, but neither book ever told me about that, only my ego, bruised by the garbage of my previous mistakes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ordered the Tim Hale book.

I may look to open up an ISA but I'd like to understand trading and stocks. I'm interested in learning how it all works.

I'll save you the trouble of reading it.

Diversify, diversify, diversify.

And he likes index trackers / funds.

So just go buy a global tracker on vanguard basically is his advice.

I'd recommend VWRL on vanguard. I think it has everything covered apart from small caps.

Associate
I watched a short YouTube vid of an interview with that guy. Wasn't sure what to make of it. What don't you like about his book?
Well, it is really hard to explain in detail. Although in general the idea is good, practically only a few people will manage to put it into life. And those who can, they don't need a book. Again, this is a great book, but to me it contains too much water inside. Meaning that it answers the question of what to do, but doesn't say how to do it. And without this how it is dangerous to invest money into such big assets as commercial real estate. So what I would recommend is to start with smaller assets. Like buy a garage and let people rent it for money. These skills are like any investment skills, nobody is born with them and my learn step by step, like in school.

Soldato
Just put it in index trackers, passive funds. It's well known that non-managed perform the same/better over time vs managed funds with larger fees.

Yes you have missed the boat with Covid, a lot of stuff has recovered fully/or beyond in some cases. However with the above, its time in the market, not the timing you got in.

Some sites offer material for free, Hargreaves Lansdown - lots of useful info on there :)

Caporegime
Just put it in index trackers, passive funds. It's well known that non-managed perform the same/better over time vs managed funds with larger fees.

Yes you have missed the boat with Covid, a lot of stuff has recovered fully/or beyond in some cases. However with the above, its time in the market, not the timing you got in.

Some sites offer material for free, Hargreaves Lansdown - lots of useful info on there :)

Albeit great advice. The current generation aren't happy with a few percent points a year. They want to invest in crypto and go to the moon overnight. Index trackers and passive funds isn't the answer they are looking for. It's invest in X and make £££££££££££££££.

Buy doge coin.

Back
Top Bottom