Recommended Courses & Qualifications

Soldato
OP
It's a Delivery Lead role (essentially a Scrum Master) where the vast majority of things done by the technical team is through AWS. I know on the AWS website it says 6 months experience, I've heard that's not really the case as it is the most basic level. I've been told it's quite good for getting an understanding of what services they offer and how they work at a basic level, which sounds ideal to me.

Z3LknHw.png

Soldato
Who told you to do this course? Was it the company who the Delivery Lead Role was with?

My opinion would be the Practitioner qualification would be a good qualification to have if you are prepared to be an entry level technical person doing AWS stuff for a company, and doing that work might allow you to move into a Delivery Lead Role in time (a few years). However, I don't think it would put you into a position to immediately apply for a Delivery Lead Role, as I think this is a senior role which only relevant experience would qualify you for.

Soldato
OP
What you're saying makes me think it's a good idea then. Delivery Lead is the role I'm 'training' in at the moment. No one has told me to do a course. I wouldn't even call it 'doing a course'. As said above, I'm watching my way through a video explaining it all. If that is enough to then get a certificate to show I know about it, it seems like a good idea is all.

I'm reasonably sure Delivery Lead/Scrum Master isn't a senior role, it's just a role in the team. Technically I just need to know how Scrum works and make sure everyone is following it well, but I also need to be able to remove blockages and communicate across teams. I should also point out, it's not expected I need to have everything from day one. As a 'Partner at risk' they just need to believe I will be capable within 3 to 6 months. Again, learning and getting certificates, to me, would help show I am keen and will be able to grow into the role.

One thing a DL advert just placed does ask for is knowledge in ITIL. Is that common? It's not something I've seen before.

Soldato
So you are already at a company and are just looking for promotion? ... I can't remember what your situation was.

Anyway, if you're prepared to do the work (and pay for it?) then this seems like a relevant qualification and it can only help.

Delivery Lead/Scrum Master sounds like you would be supervising people to me, so it would not be entry level technical. As soon as you are managing anyone, that means another set of skills are necessary, e.g. soft skills, communication, motivation etc.

Soldato
OP
So you are already at a company and are just looking for promotion? ... I can't remember what your situation was.

Yeah, no problem. I'm being made redundant from my retail management role, so taking my 3 months notice time to work with the IT teams to gain experience and hopefully land a new role. (Again, being 'at risk' means the bar is a little lower for me)

Anyway, if you're prepared to do the work (and pay for it?) then this seems like a relevant qualification and it can only help.

It's only $100 to take the test. If I get through this video, I'll try and sample test and see if I think I would pass. If I actually get made redundant, I get £3k towards 'proper' (re)training, then that's a whole different conversation!

Delivery Lead/Scrum Master sounds like you would be supervising people to me

Not really, you're facilitating, checking metrics, co-ordinating with other teams etc. The point of Scrum is it's self managing, so to speak.

"Scrum Teams are cross-functional, meaning the members have all the skills necessary to create value each Sprint. They are also self-managing, meaning they internally decide who does what, when, and how."

Associate
Blockchain development is a skill that will be. needed more and more.

I don't work with blockchain or "Web3" but I wanted to get an understanding of what it was all about and can recommend this course as a complete beginner even if Python is not you language of choice.

He explains the concepts well. Its 16 hours long so I have been dipping in an out over a few months and am about half way through.

Solidity, Blockchain, and Smart Contract Course – Beginner to Expert Python Tutorial

Back
Top Bottom