Recommended lawn mower?

Associate
Hello,

For the first time I'm in a position where I have a lawn to take care of. Until now I've never had a need for a lawn mower. The current garden is medium size. I'm not sure how soon I'll be moving again but when I do move it'll be to another place with a garden and, I'd imagine, of similar size. I don't need anything too advanced, just something to keep the lawn trimmed so that my son can play outside.

A few options that have cropped up, but I'm in no way limited to these if another mower is better:

Bosch AHM 38 G Manual Garden Lawn Mower
~£45
I like the idea of a manual mower for convenience but I'm not sure if it'll actually require more maintenance in the long run.

Flymo Easi Glide 330VX Electric Hover Collect Lawnmower
~£70
Only reason this has caught my eye is having seen it discounted in a local supermarket.

Flymo Visimo Electric Wheeled Rotary Lawn Mower
~£60
As above, only reason this has caught my eye is having seen it discounted in a local supermarket.

I've no idea whether I should go manual, rotary or hover. I know I don't want the hassle of petrol, though. I'm hoping there is the usual OcUK 'go-to' mower (a la the Ford Mondeo!) so, please, give me your recommendations?

Thanks!

Caporegime
Yeah, no.. Unless you feel like having a workout every time you mow I'd avoid the manual mower. If you leave the grass for more than a week you end up having a nightmare mowing it with a manual one.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Avoid Flymo as they're a pain.

A decent cheap Bosch electric mower will be just fine and are usually in sales.

That petrol one linked above looks well priced if you want cable free, although don't know how the brand stacks up.

Soldato
I've been happy with my current Bosch Rotak. Far better than the equivalent Flymo it replaced.
Same here.

I have a bad back and the Rotak is much easier to use than my previous Flymo, with the alternate hand grip / switch positions allowing me to change my posture and relieve the pressure on it.

Soldato
I haven't had a hover for a long while - but the reason I moved away from them is that if you miss a mow for a week or two and let the grass get too long, they're a nightmare - they just bog down constantly. If you never let the grass get too long, they're fine.

I have a Flymo wheeled at the moment, but I wouldn't get one again. There were major design flaws with it which Flymo refused to acknowledge (chiefly a very poorly designed height adjustment mechanism which damages itself every time you use it until it will no longer retain a setting - problem overcome with a bungee strap!). Their customer service was non existent.

Soldato
Whatever you do, don't get a flymo, and especially not a hover one.

Recently got a qualcast 1600w on sale and can't fault it, great quality, great design and works just perfect. Handle and grass box fold down in about 10 seconds for storage.

Soldato
I wouldn't say electric ones are a workout... if anything I'd say they're less work than petrol ones!

Of course... it helps that mine's an automatic electric one :D

bY7cg1u.jpg

Regardless, I'd highly recommend it. Amazing coming back from holiday and your grass is sometimes better than when you left it!

Husqvarna Robotic Lawn Mower is what I've got, but pretty sure my sister got a Bosch one and it also works well.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's got to be the worst advert for an automated mower ever - are you hoping to summon something to help you with the gardening?! :D

Soldato
That's got to be the worst advert for an automated mower ever - are you hoping to summon something to help you with the gardening?! :D

Haha, that photo was from the first day and we noticed the pentagram as well - strangely, it's now scorched into the grass and we've not been able to get rid of it...

Caporegime
I wouldn't say electric ones are a workout... if anything I'd say they're less work than petrol ones!

Of course... it helps that mine's an automatic electric one :D

If that's in reply to my first comment then I'm not talking about electric ones. :p Manual as in manual manual - no electric or petrol, but spinning blade as you push. Great for not needing to go to the gym though, although after two weeks it would be basically impossible to push it without it getting jammed.

Back
Top Bottom