Recommended lawn mower?

Soldato
Our Bosch/Qualcast Rotak gave up the ghost at the weekend so, rather surprisingly, found myself ordering a manual replacement from the Rainforest. I won't post a direct link to avoid upsetting the powers that be, but the model is an Einhell GE-HM 38 S-F.

Reasons for choosing manual?
The lawns aren't that big.
Energy saving.
Should burn a few calories cutting the grass.
Easier to weave around the trees and bushes I've planted out the front.
No lead to cut, or electrocution worries when slightly damp.

Assembly was a doddle apart from the grass basket which required fitting to a frame not covered in the instructions. Got it worked out though and up and running. Very easy to push and has cut as good as if not better than the Rotak on the unfinished section. Fairly solid build and actually appears to be made in Germany (unlike a Bosch fridge-freezer purchased last year which shows being manufactured in Turkey).

Soldato
I have a hover flymo and it was a pain picking grass up so bought a Flymo rotary with wheels and collecting basket - The flymo hover is good at grass cutting the wheeled one is totally useless at cutting but on higher setting picks up cutting from hover great -- On low setting wheel one digs in at front and can't push it - it's rubbish.

Commissario
We always use a petrol mower (anything with a briggs and stratton engine is easy to maintain), our current one is about 6 years old and the only issue we've had with it was the carburetor gasket needed changing last year (about £3 for the official part).

We also use a scarifier occasionally, which when we did it for the first time this year (after cutting the grass) ended up picking up more than the mower did :)
I now need to apply moss killer and more grass seed :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking about a manual for my garden - it's not very big. :)

34465160822_f924c37223_z.jpg

Or a wheeled electric. Think petrol mower would be OTT.

Soldato
For that area a Rotak 34 would be plenty. Even the 32 would handle it, but the 34 is the lowest model with the easy height adjustment.

I've been happy with mine and will buy another if/when this one dies.

Soldato
Associate
Do the robotic lawnmowers share the marker cables or are they proprietary?
The reason I ask is my garden is small but I am going to be getting the turf redone soon and considering future proofing my lawn by getting the marker cable put underneath the turf when its redone
I'm not sure if I can justify the current high price for a robotic lawnmower for a small lawn but may in the next year or so.

Thanks

Soldato
I bought the same one from homebase. £80 I think and it seems to work well. My garden is 80m2 and I don't need a petrol mower. Can cut the grass in 10 mins.

Soldato
We've got about 600sqm of lawn. Strugged on for a few years with a Bosche Rotak 43 (I think), and now have an Izzy.

The rotak is fine tbh - it was just the cable getting in the way that was the issue with the Rotak, more of an annoyance than anything else.

Soldato
If you're talking cheap electric Bosch Rotax are about the best. Slightly more upmarket anything with a Honda engine, aluminium deck should be fine, electric start if you want the convenience and self propelled if you want to take the effort out of it. Depending on your budget of course. Avoid flymo like the plague.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
My Bosch Rotak started struggling last year and instead of replacing the blades I picked up a decent petrol one (brand is MTD if I remember right)

I can't believe how much more powerful the petrol ones are, the difference is night and day. I'm taking care of this thing, it's gone from taking me an hour to mow the rear garden down to 20 mins.

Caporegime
Electric mowers . Never for me.
Gf suggested an electric for new house, but I said no. I find the cord a massive pain.

Also, petrol can chew up grass that is a meter tall. So if garden gets wild it's great

Associate
Our Bosch/Qualcast Rotak gave up the ghost at the weekend so, rather surprisingly, found myself ordering a manual replacement from the Rainforest. I won't post a direct link to avoid upsetting the powers that be, but the model is an Einhell GE-HM 38 S-F.

Reasons for choosing manual?
The lawns aren't that big.
Energy saving.
Should burn a few calories cutting the grass.
Easier to weave around the trees and bushes I've planted out the front.
No lead to cut, or electrocution worries when slightly damp.

Assembly was a doddle apart from the grass basket which required fitting to a frame not covered in the instructions. Got it worked out though and up and running. Very easy to push and has cut as good as if not better than the Rotak on the unfinished section. Fairly solid build and actually appears to be made in Germany (unlike a Bosch fridge-freezer purchased last year which shows being manufactured in Turkey).

@Vern1961 It's a couple of years later - how did you get on with the manual mower?

I am doing away with my Honda Izy for a variety of reasons (lawn probably isn't big enough for it, more effort to maintain, etc). I have previously had a Rotak 370 battery powered lawnmower that was too weak for anything more than a bit too long (this was a few years back) and went through the two batteries charge really quickly, so I wondered if recent versions had improved? Are GTECH any good?

Alternatively, is there a rule of thumb when it comes to manual mowers? My lawn is not perfectly flat...

Associate
@Vern1961 It's a couple of years later - how did you get on with the manual mower?

I am doing away with my Honda Izy for a variety of reasons (lawn probably isn't big enough for it, more effort to maintain, etc). I have previously had a Rotak 370 battery powered lawnmower that was too weak for anything more than a bit too long (this was a few years back) and went through the two batteries charge really quickly, so I wondered if recent versions had improved? Are GTECH any good?

Alternatively, is there a rule of thumb when it comes to manual mowers? My lawn is not perfectly flat...

How often do you mow and what height do you prefer your lawn at?

Back
Top Bottom