Recommended media player setup

Soldato
I've got an old synology NAS and a relatively new fireTV stick.

I use neflix, prime and iplayer on the fireTV stick, as well as kodi to watch stuff saved on my NAS.

Recently it feels like it's showing its age; films freezing, apps and failing to load, constant restarts required, just generally acting like it's on it's last legs (even though the stick is only a few months old).

I know I need to replace the NAS as it's so old the current version of the OS is end of life and can't be updated. I'm not sure if what other hardware to go with though. Any recommendations?

I know a dedicated media pc would be the most flexible, but I enjoy the simplicity of the fire TV UI and remote - there's no chance I'll get the wife and kids using a mouse and keyboard!

The smart functionality on my TV is rubbish, so I'll need a separate device(s).

Associate
I am in the same situation. I have a firestick 4k max with kodi on it streaming my media collection via my aging gaming PC.

I'm planning to switch to a NAS as that must be cheaper than having to leave my PC on as I binge watch The Sopranos all day.

The firestick has started crashing frequently during playback of seemingly random video files so I am looking for a media player that can stream my collection that's user friendly.

Associate

I use neflix, prime and iplayer on the fireTV stick, as well as kodi to watch stuff saved on my NAS.

Recently it feels like it's showing its age; films freezing, apps and failing to load, constant restarts required, just generally acting like it's on it's last legs (even though the stick is only a few months old).

I know I need to replace the NAS as it's so old the current version of the OS is end of life and can't be updated. I'm not sure if what other hardware to go with though. Any recommendations?

I know a dedicated media pc would be the most flexible, but I enjoy the simplicity of the fire TV UI and remote - there's no chance I'll get the wife and kids using a mouse and keyboard!

Second hand Apple TV 4k. I replaced my FTV's due to issues with these. Great replacement. Also has Plex support.

Associate
I am in the same situation. I have a firestick 4k max with kodi on it streaming my media collection via my aging gaming PC.

I'm planning to switch to a NAS as that must be cheaper than having to leave my PC on as I binge watch The Sopranos all day.

The firestick has started crashing frequently during playback of seemingly random video files so I am looking for a media player that can stream my collection that's user friendly.
Nvidia Shield Pro (used) and setup with external USB storage and local Plex server. Low power solution that doesn't require a NAS as your media would eb connected via USB.

Associate
Nvidia Shield Pro (used) and setup with external USB storage and local Plex server. Low power solution that doesn't require a NAS as your media would eb connected via USB.
I would think that a NAS would be easier as I'll be able to add to my collection by connecting to it easier via my PC.

At the moment, my Kodi app connects to my media collection via SMB protocol.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah nas is easier, shared access so any device can acess it. For connected HDD you'd need to plug into laptop everytime you want to copy files.

Unless the media player has built in user access which allows you to write to the directories.

I think the generic amlogic boxes are good value for money but they're not percect. Horrid stock remotes, and core elec not installed as standard onto the built in OS.

Soldato
Why not just get it over and done with and get a Nvidia Shield Pro for the front interface? Kodi setup with a wall skin

For my hard drives I just use an old raspberry pi with libreelec and external drives connected via a hub. It's a cubboard with a smart plug so I can turn it on and off when needed. Then connect via local network/smb through Kodi.

Last edited:
Don
Why replace a perfectly good NAS - end of life or not, it's still absolutely fine for doing what a NAS was designed for - sharing files.

Seems unlikely to be the Firestick at fault.
Arguably all you need is something a little bit more modern to sit between your NAS and your firestick, and run Plex or Emby.
Either grab a second hand mini/tiny/micro hp/lenovo/dell office PC, or one of the many chinese mini PCs that are available. Install Plex or Emby on it, and then point it at the files on your NAS.
The firestick can then connect to Plex/Emby, and all the hard work is done by the mini PC (including transcoding if necessary), and neither the NAS or firestick should then struggle.

Soldato
I use a Nvidia Shield (2016) running plex with a attached 2TB SSD (as a Hard Drive would constantly spin)...I also have a old low powered PC (Windows 11) running a Plex server (over 25TB), I can access both via a Nvidia Shield (2019), Nvidia Shield (2017) and 4k Firestick, Shields are slightly quicker but other than that no massive differences...

I know there are better ways but I'm used to it and it works well...

Last edited:
Soldato
My perfect media player would be amlogic box, but with core elec as the primary bundled OS, space for at least one 3.5" internal SATA HDD (very well damped acoustically and physically) with a decent supplied dual IR/BT keyboard/mouse and standard stick remote.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice all.

The Nvidia shield does get good reviews, but I'm a bit wary about spending ~£200 on something that seems to be a bit long in the tooth.

Arguably all you need is something a little bit more modern to sit between your NAS and your firestick, and run Plex or Emby.
Either grab a second hand mini/tiny/micro hp/lenovo/dell office PC, or one of the many chinese mini PCs that are available. Install Plex or Emby on it, and then point it at the files on your NAS.
The firestick can then connect to Plex/Emby, and all the hard work is done by the mini PC (including transcoding if necessary), and neither the NAS or firestick should then struggle.
Would it not be simpler to get a NAS that can I can install Plex on (e.g. Synology DS423+), and skip the need for that something that sits in the middle? I'm guessing it's a bit cheaper and perhaps more flexible, but at the expense of added complexity.

Associate

I have recently purchased a Firestick 4k Max to replace my old Firestick as that became very slow. I recommend this as it still has that Amazon OS that you are probably used to.

Don
The Nvidia shield does get good reviews, but I'm a bit wary about spending ~£200 on something that seems to be a bit long in the tooth.
Whilst the shield is a great but of kit, it is getting old, and is still really just a "fat" client.
Nothing wrong with that, but there are other options like AppleTV

Would it not be simpler to get a NAS that can I can install Plex on (e.g. Synology DS423+), and skip the need for that something that sits in the middle? I'm guessing it's a bit cheaper and perhaps more flexible, but at the expense of added complexity.
It's a bit of extra complexity but avoids the same situation again in a couple of years when the Synology can't cope with whatever the latest media format is or whatever.
Unless you spend big on the highest Synology or qnap, the processors are fairly weak. It's why a lot of people build their own Nas with a decent desktop CPU.

If you've already get a Nas that is capable of serving files (even the old hp microservers still work great for this) then adding a micro pc for some additional compute capacity addresses the weak point. (And can be scaled with multiple mini pcs, containers and clustering depending how far down the rabbit hole you go...)

Back
Top Bottom