Recommended monitor for work and play

Associate
Hi All

Stumbled across this site and a wealth of info. I've done some searching, apologies if the info Im looking for has been posted elsewhere. Also apologies in advance if this is not the best place to post.

Currently using a 42" Sony Bravia 1080p Full HD TV as a monitor for work using my MacBook pro 15" 2017. Also hooked up to my xbox series x for play. For work Its a bit too big so looking to downsize to something smaller. Though for play with my xbox its great.

Use-case:
MS Applications via Macbook Pro, so need to see text clearly, no photo editing or content creation.
Gaming via xbox series x

Requirements:
Size - 32" to 38" ideally not ultrawide as I don't want a display that is wide and short
Resolution - keep seeing 1440p as the sweet spot (can anyone explain why?) but would like to go 4k
Power Delivery - ideally one cable to connect to my MacBook Pro providing 87w charge along with data transfer
Speakers - must have built in speakers as no scope for desktop speakers and don't want to use headphones
Budget - fairly flexibly, happy to go up to £1300

I know there are not many monitors with HDMI 2.1 which would fully utilise my xbox, though happy to wait if required if current 4k monitors not up to spec. Was tempted by LG CX48 but I think it will be too big. I saw the Aorus FV43U which is a potential candidate but doesn't have PD and its fairly new and haven't seen many reviews.

Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated.

Thanks
S

Soldato
Resolution - keep seeing 1440p as the sweet spot (can anyone explain why?) but would like to go 4k

1440p is the current resolution that balances performance and detail.

Does the XBX support 1440p? Anyway, I think that you should look at a 4k monitor for your work work because at the size you want lower resolutions pixellate when you sit close. You will have noticed this with your TV. 4k monitors with HDMI 2.1 are all too new to pass any real judgement.

Associate
OP
Xbox can support up to 4k 120fps so I would assume 1440p is supported.
I agree, I am leaning towards a 4k screen, its whether or not I should wait for HDMI 2.1 (as in will that provide tangible benefits) or should I just go for a 4k screen now?

Soldato

The XBox is a console, not a PC. Different standards may apply. A quick Google indicates that 1440p 120 Hz is hit and miss.

I missed this:

Speakers - must have built in speakers as no scope for desktop speakers and don't want to use headphones

I think you will be disappointed with the sound output from a monitor. How about having a sound bar underneath the monitor?

Soldato
While PCs support all resolutions below maximum and you can even make custom resolutions, consoles are different animals with manufacturer imposed limitations...
Inluding stupid ones like PS5 lacking 2560x1440 support dropping from 3840x2160 directly to 1920x1080.

But XSX supports also 2560x1440:
https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/series-x-early-impressions.html
That would also give lower GPU load choise in case of wanting to run some game at higher framerate than Xbox can do at 4K.

But for 4K you'll definitely want to wait for HDMI 2.1.
For some unexcusable reason monitors have just been very slow to included that already years old standard.
LG's 27GP950 is possibly only one with it and 32" high refresh rate capable 4K monitors are still somewhere in between paper announcement and actual release.
There should be couple models coming for summer...
Unless delayed once more.

...don't want to use headphones
Is it because of comfort, or wanting to maintain some level of awareness of what happens around you like doorbell/phone ringing?

Soldato
I'm using a Gigabyte G32QC with my Series X and work laptop

Works perfectly, the Xbox has no issues what so ever at 1440P, A lot of people use 1440P monitors with Series X and have no issues just make sure to check Youtube and see if people have used the monitor with the Series X to be 100% sure.
VRR works fine. Only thing that doesnt work is HDR but I dont care about that on a lower end HDR monitor.

For work its great even with the slight curve which I dont notice. I couldnt go back to a 27" monitor, so much stuff on the screen at once! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Regarding 4K you only need HDMI 2.1 for 4K 120HZ - There are not going to many if any AAA games that support this, only platformers and the like. Most AAA games will target 4K60

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have young kids at home and want awareness in case they flood the bathroom/burn the kitchen down! Also the doorbell and phone ringing yes!
I am happy to wait for HDMI 2.1 though I expect the 1st iterations to cost a bomb.

Will take a look at the Gigabyte G32QC, thanks.

One other option may be to invest in a dock that would do away with the requirement for PD, thoughts?

Soldato
I have young kids at home and want awareness in case they flood the bathroom/burn the kitchen down! Also the doorbell and phone ringing yes!
Open headphones have no problems in letting noises of environment trouble you.
You would literally have to listen at volume high enough to overcome environment's noises to not hear them.
At hearing safe volume even noises from any noisier keyboard leak through.
And that's with not the most open headphones, which would leak through anything below 3 kHz without any muffling.
(average open design headphone start muffling few dBs between 1 and 2 kHz)

So you would certainly hear kids trying to crash house down.

Back
Top Bottom