Recommended new 3/4tb internal spinning rust drives 3.5 inch

Soldato
There are so many SMR drives out there these days, I'm not sure I want a hard drive when I next replace my storage drive. Yes you can Google the specs, but even then it seems to be a bit of a minefield.

One example is my existing 2TB Toshiba HDWD120 drive, which I'm sure is SMR yet the specs claim it's a CMR drive. When I download a large amount of files, the drive can be heard active for some time after the download has completed. This is a tell-tale sign of an SMR drive.

If I were to get a hard drive to replace my storage drive, it would ideally be 2.5" and 2TB+ - I don't want to go lower than 2TB, but any increase in size is ok. But a lot of 2.5" drives above 1TB are SMR these days. :(

Associate
There are so many SMR drives out there these days, I'm not sure I want a hard drive when I next replace my storage drive. Yes you can Google the specs, but even then it seems to be a bit of a minefield.

One example is my existing 2TB Toshiba HDWD120 drive, which I'm sure is SMR yet the specs claim it's a CMR drive. When I download a large amount of files, the drive can be heard active for some time after the download has completed. This is a tell-tale sign of an SMR drive.

If I were to get a hard drive to replace my storage drive, it would ideally be 2.5" and 2TB+ - I don't want to go lower than 2TB, but any increase in size is ok. But a lot of 2.5" drives above 1TB are SMR these days. :(
It might be that the post transfer activity is the operation system defragging the drive.

Back
Top Bottom