Recover data from corrupt bitlockered drive?

Soldato
Hey folks, in my previous job we always used bitlocker for the workers laptops, just in case they were stolen etc and since then I have always done it by habit on my personal computer.
I have 3 drives in a desktop PC,

SSD, HDD1, HDD2

I used bitlocker on all of them, and for SSD & HDD2 it's working fine, however, my PC must have crashed out during encryption of HDD2, and whilst it shows as bitlocker enabled, when I try to unlock it simply says something along the lines of "This was encrypted using a newer version of windows" which is impossible as I run Windows 10 fully updated, I tried to unlock it via cmd prompt, but no success.

I have the recovery key & password, but it doesn't seem to matter as I cannot get the drive to unlock.

It seems my only hope is this software;
https://www.m3datarecovery.com/bitlocker-drive-data-recovery/purchase.html

I downloaded a trial and it DID see my data, so I suspect I could recover it with the full version, but just before I take the plunge and spend near £150 on it, does anyone have any other recommended data recovery software that would work in this instance? I have EASEUS full version but that does not seem to read bitlocker encrypted drives.

The repair tools seem for Vista or Windows Server 2008 also :/

Thanks in advance

Man of Honour
When you say you've unsuccessfully tried unlocking the drive, I assume you mean using "manage-bde" to decrypt it fully. If that is the case I have some good news in that you should be able to use the Bitlocker Repair Tool just fine. The reason you can't find a version of it to download for anything beyond Vista/Server 2008 is that it has been included as standard since Windows 7.

Use "repair-bde" in cmd, I can't remember the exact commands but it should be pretty straightforward.

Soldato
OP
When you say you've unsuccessfully tried unlocking the drive, I assume you mean using "manage-bde" to decrypt it fully. If that is the case I have some good news in that you should be able to use the Bitlocker Repair Tool just fine. The reason you can't find a version of it to download for anything beyond Vista/Server 2008 is that it has been included as standard since Windows 7.

Use "repair-bde" in cmd, I can't remember the exact commands but it should be pretty straightforward.

Thanks Zefan, I'll give it a try I may have already tried that and if it's what I think it was, it gave some message about decryption unknown or something like that, as when checking the status via cmd it did not give any info on encryption etc whereas the same process on the other drive showed info on it.

Will try it and update findings!

Back
Top Bottom