Redoing the En Suite

Soldato
OP
The floor joist on the right, must stop where that noggin I need to drill is as it intersects the SVP.
There's no wall below, so I imagine the floor joist is being held up by that noggin.
I need to get the 100mm waste through too though as it turns out.

Soldato
OP
I have a plan

Stud out the back wall enough to accommodate the 100mm waste at its existing height.
Then we can build a niche in the wall for the shower.

Drop the 40mm waste down into the floor to suit the shower waste

On the left hand side, extend the studding out to hide the 100mm waste, up to waist height to make a shelf full length of the room. Put a hidden cistern in there too.

Soldato
OP
Went a slightly different route.
100mm waste is staying where it is, I got the 40mm waste through the joist though, the regs above stated a 56mm hole was ok in the middle of the joist so I've managed to get the wastes where I need them.

I battened out the joists, to allow me to sink the old 18mm in between the joists, with another 18mm on top. 36mm of structural ply should do the job :D
Shower tray levelled up and bedded on Mapei Keraquick

nddIbYil.jpg gFRrGnTl.jpg

Soldato
Why would you use two lots of ply, ditch that idea. Go with one lot of 18mm ply and top with 20mm marmox, its insulated which helps with heat loss and the extra 2mm will bridge your gap meaning you dont need to self level.

Soldato
Why would you use two lots of ply, ditch that idea. Go with one lot of 18mm ply and top with 20mm marmox, its insulated which helps with heat loss and the extra 2mm will bridge your gap meaning you dont need to self level.
12mm ply and 6mm backer board.
I was going to use latex self levelling compound on the ply wood to bring it to the level of the shower tray (about 3mm diff)
Either way works, too many names for tile backer board these days, I’d certainly do 200sols method though.

Soldato
OP
I've been wiped out with Covid, the pregnant mrs has too so slow progress!

Got most of the room boarded out, and the tiles have arrived.

Any reason not to us an S2 adhesive?
I know they say it isn't quite as strong as an S1 but still plenty good enough for what I need, with the added bonus of not cracking

UltraTileFix ProFlex S2 is a single part, rapid setting, flexible, fibre reinforced adhesive for wall and floor tiles.

It is specially formulated with FibreBond technology, enhanced adhesion and flexibility, making it ideal for areas where movement or vibration can occur.

Ideal for use with all types of tiles including brick slips, resin backed and quartz

Formulated with FibreBond technology

Ultimate S2 flexibility for timber floors including swimming pools & underfloor heating systems

3-20mm Bed thickness

60 Minutes pot life

3.5 Hours set time

20kg : 4.0L Mixing ratio

Conforms to C2F S2

20kg Lifetime guarantee

Coverage (approx):

Soldato
OP
Perfect :D

Any tips on whether to do the walls or floor first?
I understand walls first is conventional, but i want the pattern to match from the floor up the walls, and I think it'll be more dictated by the shower waste.
These are the tiles and colour combo/pattern I want

Soldato
I understand walls first is conventional, but i want the pattern to match from the floor up the walls,
You can set out and plan all the before you start, I always batten the walls out 1 tile or cut tile left down the floor, then tiles all the walls, then floor and then infill the last tile to the floor. Setting out can take a while.

Recently did an en suite with feature wall wrap down to the floor and up another boxing, similar to what you want to do but with square tiles, premise is the same with hexagons though try to avoid any odd cuts at the edges of walls or ceiling/floor.

See the batten and also the wedges, highly recommend using wedges as well as normal spacers if needed. In this case I started full tile from the shower tray.
tfgFo1rh.jpg

Wall was tiled first and then floor and missing tile on wall after. I find it eeasier this way.
6caQzWCh.jpg

Its all in the planning, often you can spend a while setting out and often there will be compromised around windows, or choosing which feature to frame. Try and avoid any small slithers of tile as the eye is drawn to those straight away.
skETcANh.jpg

Soldato
OP
That's how I did my last bathroom, screwed battens all the way around the room 1 tile high, did all the walls and then the floor, finally dropping the bottom row of wall tiles on at the end.
The risk in my mind is that I'm not confident enough that I would have all of the lines matching up as I've never done the same tile/pattern from floor to wall.
My laser level is just a pointer type too, not a line, so not ideal. Although I may be able to borrow one for an evening

Slightly different topic. All of the fittings for the shower valve, etc are all BSPP. No tapered threads, and no o rings or rubber seals at the bottom of the female thread. Do these just seal up using thread tape?

I'm with you on that MKW, it means I can continue the same pattern up the walls more easily... but, given that nothing is ever square, the patter will runout somewhere I guess.

Back
Top Bottom