Rees-Mogg: increased usage of food banks 'uplifting'

Soldato
From the Graundiad article:

During the phone-in, Rees-Mogg also insisted he had no leadership ambitions.

“I have no wish to become leader of the Conservative party. I’m fully supporting Mrs May,” he said. “I am completely backing Mrs May and no one serious thinks that I am a credible candidate.”

Asked what cabinet job he would most like, Rees-Mogg said: “That’s not going to happen.”

He said May had been asked in a radio interview if she might place him in the cabinet, and “she laughed for the longest amount of time she has laughed since the general election”.

He added: “I was delighted to bring some happiness and joy to our distinguished prime minister, but that’s how seriously she takes it.”

i think he knows his place.

Soldato
The thread title is a little misleading no?

He described charities giving out emergency food packages as a “rather uplifting” sign of a compassionate country.

As I read it he is saying it's "uplifting" that people are being charitable. Not that it's uplifting more people are using them, but that they exist to help people.

I used to be a die hard Guardian reader a few years ago, I don't know if I just woke up or if it has gone donwhill, but this is purposeful manipulation of what he said and I no longer read the publication because of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rees-Mogg is like most of the Tories.

Totally disconnected from the plights of the average person they say they are there represent. I don't get the meme hype around this guy.

Soldato
yet people vote for him, it shows how broken our politics/education the entire system is.

I do not know how people vote for many of the politicians of all parties. However variety is the spice of life as they say and if a dull conformity was the rule, you may as well live in North Korea or another authoritarian state.

Soldato
Totally disconnected from the plights of the average person they say they are there represent.
Complete lack of empathy for anybody lower than middle/upper class.

I honestly don't get that impression from him, he might be in a Westminster bubble and as posh as they come but the things he said during Brexit were completely based around helping the working classes. The reason he is popular is because he is principled.

Man of Honour
I do not know how people vote for many of the politicians of all parties. However variety is the spice of life as they say and if a dull conformity was the rule, you may as well live in North Korea or another authoritarian state.
what utter nonsense ad that's also a logical fallacy.
you can have variety without being a a total douche of a human.

Man of Honour
Food banks could be solved by the state controlling the spending of benefit recipients, but that isn't favoured. There is no shortage of money in many cases,but a lack of sensible prioritization.

The problem with freedom is that some people use it badly, that doesn't follow that the most appropriate solution is to compensate them for their poor decision.

Back
Top Bottom