Reference listing

Soldato
So iv been offered a new job and it's subject to references and medical being okay (despite these occurring after iv started)

Okay, so my last job did not end well and I'm locked in a legal battle with them through acas. So a reference will be shoddy regardless. They have a no reference policy in place but I worry they would bend this just to mess with my shot on this job since I'm causing them hassle.

To put them down or not? I was thinking if I left it off and if I'm asked why I didn't include them on my list it's because of 2 reasons
They are not my most recent employer as I was self employed and a sub contractor. And 2 due to the issue I'm facing which I'm happy to tell if questioned.

What do you think? Need some advice

Soldato
OP
If it's going to cause issues and it's not relevant don't list it?

Not relevant to my current job totally different fields. Going to cause issues for sure. I'm happy to give them another relevant option though if it's asked for. I know the ones listed will indeed reply and be truthful about my qualities. Will see how they get on with it.

Caporegime
Don't they specify which references they want or have they asked you just to provide say two including a previous employer?

I mean surely you can already answer the question yourself unless you don't have the details yet... in which case, if a relatively recent employer, then assume they will be asked.

I mean if you've got an external firm doing background checks say then you generally need to account for the last 10 years (and account for any gaps in employment)

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Depends how big this new company is? As mentioned is it a background check? Or just someone from HR picking up the phone/dropping an email to your reference contact with a few questions? If the latter, give the details of someone who you ended with on good terms (if they exist).

I once got sacked for something ridiculous. I got on great with my direct manager and put him down as my reference. He gave the least possible information when got asked for a reference as he wanted me to get the job, which I did.

Back
Top Bottom