refurbished dell experiences?

Associate
Hi guys... I have the Dell 2005fpw which I got from OC..
It has severe backlight issues with it and am in the process of sorting an exchange... I initially tried to sort it about two weeks ago but the communication fell through with Dell so I rang them again today and I just need to let them know my serial number to complete the sorting of the exchange.
The one thing he told me was that in order to have the next day exchange I will end up receiving a refurbished 2005fpw... but if I wait 7-10 days I will get a brand new one... the rule of getting a brand new replacement in 7-10 days only applies 30 days after purchase but he said that cos I reported the problem two weeks ago it already falls into that category..
my question is do I go for the refurbished or the brand new? I dunno if I am patient to wait 7-10 days when I could end up with a bad monitor, or I could get next day and maybe get a good one or maybe a bad one... I am not sure what the 'refurbished' actually means... does it mean its returns that have dead pixels and backlight problems that they just give a clean and send straight back out?
I have got Friday off work and it would be handy to get the next day exchange... but am concerned about the whole refurbished monitor thing.. can anyone offer any personal experiences with refurbished stuff?
cheers
:)

Associate
When i spoke to dell about a 2405 i was told if there are any problems within the warranty period it would be replaced with a brand new one and not refurbished

Associate
OP
ted34 said:
When i spoke to dell about a 2405 i was told if there are any problems within the warranty period it would be replaced with a brand new one and not refurbished
hmmm, the fella made a point of making it clear that for a 24hr exhange it would be a refurb... and 7-10 days for a brand new one... then after 30 days my only option is a refurb one.. :confused:

Associate
I sent an email in to ask and got a guy call me. He actually haggled with me over the phone saying i'll knock of £20 and give you 5yr warranty. Maybe he just lied about the warranty in his desperation to make a sale. Still never bought through him - got mum to buy it through her work who have employee agreement with dell - got 20% off + an extra 7% and then dell couldnt do the maths and gave me 40% off
icon10.gif

Associate
If there is a manufacturing fault present in an item bought new or it develops within one year, i.e. the default manufacturers warranty you are entitled to by your (UK) statutory rights then you should demand and expect nothing but a brand new replacement.

You bought the item new, it failed within the first year. Don't get palmed off with what is effectively a second hand item.

Associate
OP
cheers for the replies guys, of course its sensible to go for a brand new one.... I just hate having to wait 7+ days for it... will ring them on monday and get it sorted, am having to take this monitor into work and leave it there from the 7th day onwards as I aint gonna take three days off work and wait for them to show up...
cheers for the advice...
chances are I will get another with backlight as all my mates with this monitor have had it, I just hope I get one with less :(

Back
Top Bottom