Regular Crashes / BSOD's

Associate
I seem to be getting a lot of random BSOD's , Crashes to Desktop, and just straight up random restarts

I downloaded whocrashed , which took the dump files and gave me this below....

Running this spec:

AMD Ryzen 3600
MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk
32gb Corsair Vengeance
MSI 2070 Super Gaming X Trio 8gb
Phanteks AMP 650w PSU

I initially suspected drivers, So have updated : Motherboard Bios , GPU Drivers, and WiFi drivers.

The crashes occur across both World of Warcraft and GTA V , Also get the odd crash from Youtube but much less frequent.

I've also run the system with everything except SSD's installed as noticed i'd get a crash on a HDD spooling up from idle (could hear it) , but still got crashes then.

I removed the 2070 thinking maybe that was the cause, but even with an Asus 1060 3gb , I still got a crash (albeit took much longer).

Memtest and SFC also came back clear.

Anyone able to help with what do look at next? Could it be a bad Mobo/CPU? or Even PSU ?

Code:
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer name: DESKTOP-MAINPC
Windows version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: MS-7C84, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84)
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 8664, level: 23
12 logical processors, active mask: 4095
RAM: 34281984000 bytes (31.9GB)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Mon 18/01/2021 20:26:35 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011821-18250-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F5780)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFF50240829060, 0xFFFFF50240828FB8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 18/01/2021 20:26:35 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8299)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFF50240829060, 0xFFFFF50240828FB8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 18/01/2021 10:34:36 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011821-19109-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x162 (0xFFFFD4831D58B080, 0xFFFF950040607908, 0x1, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was released by a thread that did not own the lock.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Mon 11/01/2021 20:17:31 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011121-17906-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32kfull.sys (win32kfull+0x9F164)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFF8D0A1251ED70, 0x11, 0xFFFF8D0A1251ED70, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32kfull.sys
description: Full/Desktop Win32k Kernel Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 06/01/2021 17:57:50 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\010621-18984-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF7 (0xFFF0516DEE3E870F, 0xF067E2BE85BA, 0xFFFF0F981D417A45, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.

On Wed 06/01/2021 12:37:27 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\010621-19203-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xFC (0xFFFFAC858354F7DC, 0x8A0000017938F963, 0xFFFFAC858354F630, 0x0)
Error: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.
This may be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. Memory corruption can also occur because of overheating (thermal issue). There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.

Associate
OP
Keep us updated.

Another crash, this time it just froze so had to force a power off manually....

What should i try next ? Reinstall windows on a different drive? Remove 1 stick of ram?

GPU's confirmed OK now i guess as it crashes with new and old alike (and old one ran happy for years)

Man of Honour
Another crash, this time it just froze so had to force a power off manually....

What should i try next ? Reinstall windows on a different drive? Remove 1 stick of ram?

GPU's confirmed OK now i guess as it crashes with new and old alike (and old one ran happy for years)
Fresh windows install get all drivers before hand dont let windows update , minimal components, Disable Wi-Fi

Instsll chipset and gpu drivers no geforece experience only, test.

Associate
OP
Fresh windows install get all drivers before hand dont let windows update , minimal components, Disable Wi-Fi

Instsll chipset and gpu drivers no geforece experience only, test.

I'll give this a go later. Ideally wanted to take the M.2 drive out and install windows onto another "Normal" SSD , However can't get to it with the cooler in place and don't fancy taking it to bits right now so will try a clean install onto the M.2 again. I'll update with whether or not it stabilises things!

Associate
OP
I'll give this a go later. Ideally wanted to take the M.2 drive out and install windows onto another "Normal" SSD , However can't get to it with the cooler in place and don't fancy taking it to bits right now so will try a clean install onto the M.2 again. I'll update with whether or not it stabilises things!

So i've swapped the 2 sticks of ram around in the slots , and swapped which slot the m.2 drive was using, reinstalled windows to that, and got "pfn_list_corrupt" after only 30 minutes at idle. M.2 is now out of the system and have reinstalled windows to a spare SSD , Going to see how that goes.

Everything about my errors points to a driver conflict, but given that it's a fresh install of windows (with drivers installed from USB whilst offline) , that shouldn't be the case?

If it crashes again, I'm guessing RAM/Motherboard/CPU ?

Soldato
Might be worth trying an older bios from before August last year as there has been a few bugs with the newer ones that brought 5000 series support.

Associate
OP
Might be worth trying an older bios from before August last year as there has been a few bugs with the newer ones that brought 5000 series support.

Thanks i'll try that, Earliest i can find is V10 , Is there a way to get the board back to it's factory state? Don't see a BIOS Reset button on this board (Unless it's blocked by GPU , which ideally i don't want to remove again)

Interestingly, Since swapping the 2 ram sticks around yesterday , The crashes have become more frequent. Rarely used to crash at idle, but now doing it a lot more (All it was doing, was downloading a game on steam)

Also, Every couple of reboots, my Corsair K95 Keyboard will be unresponsive until unplugged and plugged back in. I've got a Razer Deathadder too , Both of which i refuse to allow install iCue/Synapse , Could one of these be causing an issue?

The only other device plugged in is an Xbox gamepad (Which i've now unplugged to see what happens)

EDIT : Just found this

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ifhizx/x570_tomahawk_frequent_bsods/

which does make me wonder if my 3600 CPU is faulty...

Last edited:
Soldato
The original bios would have been the one at the bottom of the list. The reset button / jumper would only reset the boards current bios.

Associate
How old is your PSU?

Have you tried a PSU test? I use OCCT and its power test. It helped me diagnose my failing 8yr old PSU.

In my case, I didn't get any BSOD, just hard resets, but it's a quick test as generally a failing PSU will fail almost instantly on the power draw test, might help rule it out at least.

Keep an eye on the voltage in OCCT monitoring too. It's not that accurate because it's software, but my old one would dip to 11.7 and crash, the new one doesn't move off 12 now.

Associate
OP
How old is your PSU?

Have you tried a PSU test? I use OCCT and its power test. It helped me diagnose my failing 8yr old PSU.

In my case, I didn't get any BSOD, just hard resets, but it's a quick test as generally a failing PSU will fail almost instantly on the power draw test, might help rule it out at least.

Keep an eye on the voltage in OCCT monitoring too. It's not that accurate because it's software, but my old one would dip to 11.7 and crash, the new one doesn't move off 12 now.

It's a 5-6 month old Phanteks AMP 650w , bought from OCUK.

I've had a lot of "irql_not_less_or_equal" errors today whilst idle/downloading.

Currently , I've reset the bios to factory / original. And am running 1 stick of ram in the A2 slot currently , and so far, so good. If it will run like this for over 2 hours, I'll power down and put the other stick in the A2 slot just to rule out a bad stick.

How would i test the ram slots on the board, will it boot OK even though the manual says i must use A2 ? I guess i'd just work my way left to right and "hope" for a crash in one of them? As daft as that sounds... It's 3000mhz B-Die ram and only shows at 2133 in Bios, don't know if that's connected?

Will test the PSU Later too with OCCT, had never heard of it but thanks.

Soldato
2133MHz is its JEDEC speed.
You need to enable XMP to get advertised memory speed.
Just make sure memory voltage is one specified for those DIMMs before that.

Associate
OP
2133MHz is its JEDEC speed.
You need to enable XMP to get advertised memory speed.
Just make sure memory voltage is one specified for those DIMMs before that.

Thanks

Another kernel auto boost invalid lock release

Time to check the other stick now. If that crashes too, would it be reasonable to say its not the memory?

Associate
OP
Small update for anyone following ,

Received BSOD errors regardless of which dimm was in each slot.

Tried running them together in slots 1 + 3 and ran a memtest for ~2 hours , no errors (will allow it to run longer when i can)

Ran a game with memory in slots 1 + 3 , without my Xbox One gamepad connected (wired) , and uninstalled it's drivers.... BSOD , so that rules the gamepad out.

Currently have the ram back in slots 2 + 4 as recommended, both DIMM's installed for a total of 32gb , and have also (probably should have done this one step at a time) switched which rail my GPU power is plugged into , and enabled A-XMP in the bios, but left game-mode OFF.

Current Crashes :

Code:
Windows version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: MS-7C84, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84)
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 8664, level: 23
12 logical processors, active mask: 4095
RAM: 34281984000 bytes (31.9GB)

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sat 23/01/2021 21:44:37 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012321-8437-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFF, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8076D91A35E)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

On Sat 23/01/2021 21:44:37 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8299)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFF, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8076D91A35E)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

On Sat 23/01/2021 19:34:32 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012321-9171-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32kfull.sys (win32kfull+0xBEE84)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFF840CA21D8010, 0x11, 0xFFFF840CA21D8010, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32kfull.sys
description: Full/Desktop Win32k Kernel Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 23/01/2021 18:24:10 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012321-7265-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x162 (0xFFFFB2890E8C6080, 0xFFFFB28909814D58, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was released by a thread that did not own the lock.

On Sat 23/01/2021 08:50:21 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012321-7984-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F5210)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFFFFF8036372A06B)

So far stable... But .... famous last words?

Soldato
Is your RAM set up correctly in the BIOS? Do you have XMP enabled or disabled? I had regular crashes, checked memory with memtest and everything came back fine. Turns out my timings and speeds were set incorrectly for my RAM. Check that.

Associate
OP
Is your RAM set up correctly in the BIOS? Do you have XMP enabled or disabled? I had regular crashes, checked memory with memtest and everything came back fine. Turns out my timings and speeds were set incorrectly for my RAM. Check that.

Pops up at 2133mhz in the BIOS (Is sold as 3000) , Don't know anything about setting timings up manually. Get crashes with and without XMP enabled.

Did some more troubleshooting last night which i'll update later. Going to Try a different CPU and see if that helps as have seen similar threads where that was the cause.

Associate
OP
Well after changing out the CPU , I've not had a crash since... So fingers crossed i've found my issue.... Just updating in case anyone has this problem in the future.

Back
Top Bottom