Release date for the Asus ROG PG279QM?

Associate
My previous Monitor was the Dell s2417dg. I totally loved the g-sync 165hz experience.

The new G-SYNC processor of the Asus ROG Swift PG279QM feels smoother than my old Dell Monitor. Maybe partly because of the high frames and respond times.

Still early days and much testing to do. But totally loving this Monitor ;)

Associate
My previous Monitor was the Dell s2417dg. I totally loved the g-sync 165hz experience.

The new G-SYNC processor of the Asus ROG Swift PG279QM feels smoother than my old Dell Monitor. Maybe partly because of the high frames and respond times.

Still early days and much testing to do. But totally loving this Monitor ;)

Its this or the AW2721d for me. The Dell on paper sounds better (HDR 600 and gsync ultimate), but who knows!

Caporegime
Genuinely not sure why anyone is waiting for this. 1440P, HDR400, in 2021?

Professional level gamers are still using the fastest 1080P 360hz panels. Everyone else would be best suited with 4K, HDR1000 or OLED equivalent IMO.
What's the betting you'll still be saying this in 2031.

In the last ten years or longer we've seen multiple technologies that were supposed to replace LCD (TN/VA/IPS). SED got canned. OLED isn't coming to consumer-grade monitors, probably ever.

To steal Orange's catchphrase: "The future is crap. The future is LCD."

Also 4K is biznitch to drive with a mid-range GPU, and many of us want more frames instead of 4K. Not 240 or 360Hz, but 144Hz at 1440p. It'll do nicely; it's balanced.

I personally looked at this one but was very disappointed they'd opted to cheap out on HDMI 2.0 ports. **** bean counters.

Associate
What's the betting you'll still be saying this in 2031.

In the last ten years or longer we've seen multiple technologies that were supposed to replace LCD (TN/VA/IPS). SED got canned. OLED isn't coming to consumer-grade monitors, probably ever.

To steal Orange's catchphrase: "The future is crap. The future is LCD."

Also 4K is biznitch to drive with a mid-range GPU, and many of us want more frames instead of 4K. Not 240 or 360Hz, but 144Hz at 1440p. It'll do nicely; it's balanced.

I personally looked at this one but was very disappointed they'd opted to cheap out on HDMI 2.0 ports. **** bean counters.

The £3000 pg32uqx doesn't have hdmi 2.1. it is due to the gsync module.

Associate
Anyone got one of these / recommend it? Thinking about it but £800 is a lot for 1440p, HDR 400. >_<

I purchased one about 2 weeks ago and it is great. I previously owned a Dell G-Sync 165hz LCD. G-Sync module + 240hz, Fast response times are the main selling points for this monitor.

The IPS colors are great and I can notice the difference in games pushing 200+ FPS.

I also think that the new G-SYNC module is smoother than the one I had in my old Dell. It is also very quiet.

This is my first IPS monitor and was happy with the minimal backlight bleed/IPS Glow on a static dark background. https://www.lightbleedtest.com/

Do not buy this monitor for HDR. This is my first HDR monitor and some games look great like Cyberpunk 2077 when you are at night in a Smokey Neon Street. But most games look the same to me and some games even look horrible.

Overall, I highly recommend this monitor if you are currently using an LCD, with a powerful GPU that can push 200+ FPS, Love True G-Sync, but don't really care that much about HDR.

20210712_210856.jpg

20210712_210914.jpg

Associate
I purchased one about 2 weeks ago and it is great. I previously owned a Dell G-Sync 165hz LCD. G-Sync module + 240hz, Fast response times are the main selling points for this monitor.

The IPS colors are great and I can notice the difference in games pushing 200+ FPS.

I also think that the new G-SYNC module is smoother than the one I had in my old Dell. It is also very quiet.

This is my first IPS monitor and was happy with the minimal backlight bleed/IPS Glow on a static dark background. https://www.lightbleedtest.com/

Do not buy this monitor for HDR. This is my first HDR monitor and some games look great like Cyberpunk 2077 when you are at night in a Smokey Neon Street. But most games look the same to me and some games even look horrible.

Overall, I highly recommend this monitor if you are currently using an LCD, with a powerful GPU that can push 200+ FPS, Love True G-Sync, but don't really care that much about HDR.

20210712_210856.jpg

20210712_210914.jpg

Cheers. I had a Acer x27 and 3080 before and HDR was always a nuisance and never really worked anyway .

I have a 3060ti now.. so won't get 200 plus FPS on most games except e sports I guess.

Tempted!

Associate
OP
I've had mine for about 2 weeks now. My previous monitor was a 1440p/144Hz TN panel from Zowie. The difference is night and day, both in terms of refresh rate and image quality. This monitor is very bright and has vivid colors. The new G-Sync module makes a significant difference when the refresh rate is sub 144 FPS (particularly when ray tracing is on).

As for 240Hz vs 144Hz in esports titles, the difference is definitely perceptible, but it's subtle. I played a few Valorant DMs on 240Hz and then switched back to 144Hz; it felt unpleasant, but still playable.

As for HDR, it made little difference. I don't plan to use it.

Associate
I've had mine for about 2 weeks now. My previous monitor was a 1440p/144Hz TN panel from Zowie. The difference is night and day, both in terms of refresh rate and image quality. This monitor is very bright and has vivid colors. The new G-Sync module makes a significant difference when the refresh rate is sub 144 FPS (particularly when ray tracing is on).

As for 240Hz vs 144Hz in esports titles, the difference is definitely perceptible, but it's subtle. I played a few Valorant DMs on 240Hz and then switched back to 144Hz; it felt unpleasant, but still playable.

As for HDR, it made little difference. I don't plan to use it.

Is it worth £800? :p

Caporegime
Is it worth £800? :p
I wouldn't be paying that much for a device that lacks HDMI 2.1 ports, and thus can only hit its rated specs over DisplayPort.

It might be a limitation of the GSync module, but it's really inexcusable for a monitor that costs that much, for anyone to be unable to get the best out of it hooked up to something like a PS5 or a laptop.

It does seem that HDMI is very much an afterthought for PC monitors, sadly.

But I think for £800 a 27" LCD monitor should pretty much be perfect.

Associate
I wouldn't be paying that much for a device that lacks HDMI 2.1 ports, and thus can only hit its rated specs over DisplayPort.

It might be a limitation of the GSync module, but it's really inexcusable for a monitor that costs that much, for anyone to be unable to get the best out of it hooked up to something like a PS5 or a laptop.

It does seem that HDMI is very much an afterthought for PC monitors, sadly.

But I think for £800 a 27" LCD monitor should pretty much be perfect.

Hdmi 2.1 doesn't really matter much though for 1440p. I would agree on the pg32uqx but this one not so much.

Caporegime
Hdmi 2.1 doesn't really matter much though for 1440p. I would agree on the pg32uqx but this one not so much.
Actually it does. You're limited to 144hz at 1440p over HDMI 2.0.

This is a 240Hz monitor. You need HDMI 2.1 to reach that refresh, unless you start using compression or reduced colour depth.

Associate
Actually it does. You're limited to 144hz at 1440p over HDMI 2.0.

This is a 240Hz monitor. You need HDMI 2.1 to reach that refresh, unless you start using compression or reduced colour depth.

Yes but why would a pc user on 1440p use hdmi over display port? Console gamers can't run at anymore than 120.

Caporegime
Yes but why would a pc user on 1440p use hdmi over display port? Console gamers can't run at anymore than 120.
Only XBOX can output 1440p. PS5 is only 1080p or 4K.

PS5 needs a HDMI 2.1 to output 4K/120 (which the monitor must downscale to 1440p itself). No HDMI 2.1, no dice, with PS5.

If you only intend to connect 1 PC using DisplayPort then missing HDMI 2.1 isn't a concern, naturally.

If you wanted to connect 2 PCs, or a PC and a gaming laptop, etc, etc, then your 2nd device is limited to 144hz over HDMI.

Back
Top Bottom