Reliability

Soldato
Never trust a hard drive. Just buy multiple drives and keep backups.

Hi Bledd, slightly off topic but I have my drives in a NAS with SHR (currently 6TB soon to be 12TB) which I know is not a backup of the data but provides redundancy.

If it were you would you be backing it up as well? I am just mindful that is gets very costly when your backup sizes are 12TB!

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Hi Bledd, slightly off topic but I have my drives in a NAS with SHR (currently 6TB soon to be 12TB) which I know is not a backup of the data but provides redundancy.

If it were you would you be backing it up as well? I am just mindful that is gets very costly when your backup sizes are 12TB!
You only really need to backup stuff that is irreplaceable. Things like documents, photos and videos of your family. I'm willing to venture most of your 6/12 TB are backed up Blurays, and if you lost them, you could just re-back them up.

Don

Yes.

I have an SHR and keep 2x other backups.

One backup is a soft jbod raid using Drivepool
http://stablebit.com/drivepool, this is made up of 1,1.5,2 tb drives (what I had lying around)

The second backup is multiple 4TB drives, each with their own drive letter.

I use Robocopy for taking the backups. The backup server spends 99% of it's time powered off.

The first backup is a bit of a lazy method, if one drive dies, I'll lose any data stored on that drive, Robocopy should take care of it when it next runs.

Associate
reliability is as much about size of drive than make, mind you never had a touch wood problem either with WD, but had more than a few over the years with other makes and agree with the above posters, if it's that important to you, back up, then backup the backup

Back
Top Bottom