Relocating to Cornwall

Associate
Yeah no-one goes to Camborne if they can help it! xD

A meet could be a decent idea, only other forum member I know that's local is VeNT; we shared a CS:S clan, not sure he knows I been lurking here though! :p

Soldato
Best to live in the strip in Cornwall that is Perranporth > Truro > Falmouth. Anyone out of that strip is a scummer to be honest. :p

Don't understand why Camborne gets such a bad rap. It's not as bad as Redruth for example, but then when I'm explaining to Uni mates about Redruth or any bad area of Cornwall it's still nicer than where they came from. Really do wish Camborne still had its Wimpy and Rowe Bowl though.

Better get used to horrible over crowded summers. I'm in the thick of it t'up north...i hate it and love it at the same time. It pays the bills but is horrible to live in.

Last edited:
Associate
Why pop to devon for a pastie, they dont know how to make them,
As for Hayle, 2 great pastie shops there Hansons and what i rate is one of the best in Cornwall is PHILPS stonkin great pasties, mmmm had one yesterday :), and being in the ambulance service we know our Pastie shops
as for Hayle well.... Friday nights it's absolutely buzzing..... Salsa night in the Church Hall

One thing you must remember about Cornwall tho is it can be BLOOMIN WET 75% of the year unless you live on the north coast where they pay more rates and god lets them have more sun. I moved from Brighton 10 years ago, I mow live in Mevagissey and you can sit up on the headland and not hear a thing...No cars, Trains, no Traffic Noise, just Silence...well apart from the Sea and the Seagulls. Perfect

Oh and this is my first post, so hi to you all

Soldato
I like people like you.

Come up with an idea and give it a go because it may make you happy.

I am very much like this. I visited Prague on holiday 9 years ago. Liked it so quit university the following year and start again in university in Prague.

Its a little harder when you have a wife and kids.

Soldato
Why pop to devon for a pastie, they dont know how to make them,
As for Hayle, 2 great pastie shops there Hansons and what i rate is one of the best in Cornwall is PHILPS stonkin great pasties, mmmm had one yesterday :), and being in the ambulance service we know our Pastie shops
as for Hayle well.... Friday nights it's absolutely buzzing..... Salsa night in the Church Hall

One thing you must remember about Cornwall tho is it can be BLOOMIN WET 75% of the year unless you live on the north coast where they pay more rates and god lets them have more sun. I moved from Brighton 10 years ago, I mow live in Mevagissey and you can sit up on the headland and not hear a thing...No cars, Trains, no Traffic Noise, just Silence...well apart from the Sea and the Seagulls. Perfect

Oh and this is my first post, so hi to you all

LOVE philps. My pasty of choice!

Mevagissey is lovely. Must be a pain in the rear to navigate the streets there in an ambulance or even getting stuck trying to get past all the caravans going into pentewan!

hux

hux

Soldato
Mate lives in hayle - isnt too bad. Use to live in tregajorran until 2004. I love cornwall but wouldnt move back :D

I used to cycle very fast though there with good reason, lot of dodgy types live there.

Not saying you of course, but still even the police tend to avoid going there.

Why did you move away, find it a bit boring i take it?

Op id look around, there are better choices than hayle tbh.

And if it feels right just go for it.

It's not as bad as Redruth for example, but then when I'm explaining to Uni mates about Redruth or any bad area of Cornwall it's still nicer than where they came from.

Speak for yourself, i can easily say the same for camborne. :p

Phillips are alright, not as good as they used to be better pasties can be found.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thread update, 2 weeks and 1 day and we move. Sky are being difficult, saying it will take 3 weeks from now to get a phone line sorted and thus 3 weeks for Internet. New job have given me off duty, my wife and I will be in the same induction week which is just funny. The moving company are packing us, so fairly easy life from now on in, just telling electric, water and council and such what's going on. Leaving party is all arranged (let's hope people come).

rotters

I've been trying to get of Cornwall now (specifically Newquay) for over ten years, was born in High Wycombe Buckinghamshire, my family brought me down here when I was 12, I honestly hate Cornwall, it must be the most boring place on earth, I miss the Buckinghamshire trees and decent shops, the landscape is quite sparse and boring down here and very few job opportunities, when you have 200 people applying for one placement in Poundland you know things are quite desperate down here.

Soldato
trying to get down asap we have had a caravan down there for a good decade or so and just love it ,work for an agency for peanuts but managed to book 6 weeks down there in april may and june ,looking to buy for cash and then work part time ,spending the rest of the time surfing .
looking around where our van is but redruth/ camborne area is more our price range (know redruth like the back of my hand)
just want my part time lifestyle to be my full time lifestyle

Associate
I've just moved out of Cornwall. I'm in my twenties and want a career. A shame really as Cornwall is lovely, and some of the scenery is idyllic. From Saltash/Callington area.

Soldato
OP
I live in Hayle, where are you thinking of moving? Avoid Pathway Fields estate. It's like baghdad.

All the haters hehe...doesn't bother me one jot as people are welcome to their opinions. It's definitely a isolated place but it's lovely.

We are just into phillack, copper house view. Houses are very nice and it's close to the main park for the kids and a 20 min walk to the beach.

Back
Top Bottom