Removals company question

Soldato
I thought he was trying to get back in charge again or something like that.
Don't know
Last things I saw were he wants brexit party name change to the reform party
Or something
Oh and of course he's getting a hundred and fifty grand payday on 31st January for no longer being a MEP
And a very large pension for it to boot
Personally I find him smarmy

Soldato
Wise move man!
To be fair there's also going to be some bad areas in Scotland
Been in a lot of the Glasgow ones in my younger less sensible years lol. Nitshill. Blackhill. Darnley. Castlemilk to name just a few. probably bulldozed a lot of them by now lol
Though never been to Aberdeen
Not been up East Coast much further than perthshire
Though been basically all the way up west coast

Soldato
Which way did you used to go?

I used to do the trip from Luton to Aberdeen & back several times a year. If the weather was good I took the M1 / A1(M) up to Scotch Corner so I could visit my grandmother's resting-place, then across the A66, and up the M6 / M74 to just before Glasgow. Then across to Stirling and up north. If the weather was not good I just went up the M1 and M6.

Caporegime
I am moving to Scotland in a week and the movers (who i have used before) have requested all of the money up front (has previously been after the delivery of goods), which I find very odd and I would like to know if any know of this to be the norm now or?

Full payment upfront is unusual, but not unheard of especially for longer moves. I paid up front for my move from the UK to Germany (with a UK company). But, honestly, if you don't trust them enough to believe they'll do the work after you've paid why would you trust them with all your worldly goods?

Associate
OP
Full payment upfront is unusual, but not unheard of especially for longer moves. I paid up front for my move from the UK to Germany (with a UK company). But, honestly, if you don't trust them enough to believe they'll do the work after you've paid why would you trust them with all your worldly goods?

It had been more than 10 years since the last i moved with them, so i was just checking on the norm these day, but all has been sorted.

I used to live in different countries for a year while working (US, Ireland, canada and others) and almost always paid in advance for those, but this move was different of course, but
all is fine now. I was happy to find out that my internet connection will be up the morning after it's been closed at my old address, so no loss of work etc and keeping tabs on this forum :) .

Soldato
It had been more than 10 years since the last i moved with them, so i was just checking on the norm these day, but all has been sorted.

I used to live in different countries for a year while working (US, Ireland, canada and others) and almost always paid in advance for those, but this move was different of course, but
all is fine now. I was happy to find out that my internet connection will be up the morning after it's been closed at my old address, so no loss of work etc and keeping tabs on this forum :) .

First 2 things as soon as I arrive after moving
Other half has to find the kettle and stuff for tea
Me I am to busy making sure they connected the Internet to notice anything else lol

Soldato
True :) ..

Btw, just found out there are internet points in every room :) .
Nice, a wired connection is always best
For speed and stability not to mention security
WiFi is something I avoid whenever I can
Not least because I once had the neighbour from hell and I learned a few WiFi tricks with a home made bi quad antenna ~surprising how far away those pick up wifi
So now I know what can be done to WiFi I avoid using it

Associate
OP
Nice, a wired connection is always best
For speed and stability not to mention security
WiFi is something I avoid whenever I can
Not least because I once had the neighbour from hell and I learned a few WiFi tricks with a home made bi quad antenna ~surprising how far away those pick up wifi
So now I know what can be done to WiFi I avoid using it

Yup. The family each with their laptop, tablet or desktop off in a corner somewhere surfing the net to the wee hours :) ... Fun

Though, have to unpack everything first :(

Associate
Other than a couple of major problems, we're starting to unpack all the boxes.

The mover (i used them 11 years ago and they were very good), ended up being anything but good, which I found out when they
drove our stuff up. The movers were instructed to pack our items and that should have been roughly 50 boxes, but they ended up sending close
to 360 boxes, which were unmarked! So, it's going to take a long time to sort things out and hopefully I'll find my pc and get back my OC account, etc.. Going through what feels
like withdrawl as i can't do any gaming or work until i find my system.

:( back to unpacking..

At least Aberdeen is very nice and the people are great, so things in that respect look very good.

Old Man

Soldato
Other than a couple of major problems, we're starting to unpack all the boxes.

The mover (i used them 11 years ago and they were very good), ended up being anything but good, which I found out when they
drove our stuff up. The movers were instructed to pack our items and that should have been roughly 50 boxes, but they ended up sending close
to 360 boxes, which were unmarked! So, it's going to take a long time to sort things out and hopefully I'll find my pc and get back my OC account, etc.. Going through what feels
like withdrawl as i can't do any gaming or work until i find my system.

:( back to unpacking..

At least Aberdeen is very nice and the people are great, so things in that respect look very good.

Old Man
Wow that's a lot
Of boxes especially unmarked
Can just imagine trying
To find the kettle to start with
Then the router

Associate
All sorts of different box sizes were used and seem to have been packed with no plan/idea in mind as to what they were doing, so a lot of the larger boxes
have had one or two items only (vase, lamp, etc). Impossible to tell at this stage if anything is missing and that worries me a bit now as it's mostly my son who is unpacking
the boxes and as such it is taking way more time than we had planned. We're all very stressed out right now and are trying to fix everything over here, but what should have
been a smooth and somewhat simple move has been anything but that. Help would be nice to have, but.... see how we get on.

Note: ty about info on Kincorth and Northfield.. We moved to Crown Street and the area is filled with shops, uni and the hospital close by, so i don't think you could ask for much more.

OM ...

Soldato
We moved to Crown Street and the area is filled with shops

Very nice. Book youselves a meal at the Moonfish Cafe, just off Union Street. Aperitivo on Bon Accord Street is also nice and the Mariner does an excellent Sunday carvery. Are you working at Albyn Hospital or Foresterhill? The latter is a bit of an uphill trek in the morning - but good exercise.

Back
Top Bottom